New guy here - been lurkin for a while...

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

The Modfather
Is tracking a shipment right now

New guy here - been lurkin for a while...

Postby The Modfather » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

But now I finally have something worth posting - just hope I'm posting it in the right section :mrgreen:

I'm lookin to do some ATV camping this year. After putting together a list of the bare essentials, it was painfully obvious to me that I'd need a better way to carry it all.

First on my list was to purchase some of those flat pack gas cans. After the initial sticker shock of $80-90 each sunk in, I was able to find a good deal on eBay for a set of 4 new ones. Got 'em all for $300 shipped.

Next on my list of things to buy was a pair of those extension racks. I did a TON of research on these. There was always something that I didn't care for about them. I was almost sold on one that I saw on eBay, but they wanted $320+80 shipping for the pair. Ridiculous.

So I sent a few pix of what I was lookin for to a buddy of mine who is an awesome fabricator. Metal/aluminum/stainless steel - he does it all. He has built trailers, gold dredges, ATM surrounds, and countless other things "as needed." He looked at some of the pix I sent and said that it shouldn't be too hard to build something up. Music to my ears! I headed up to his place w/ the ATV in back of my truck the next day. We grabbed some square stock and started cuttin', bendin' and weldin'.

The first box we built was perfect for what I needed. Simple and functional. As we were test fitting it on back of my bike, I had my flat packs sitting in it - and we both had a revelation at the same time - let's mount the packs under the rack! Unfortunately the first rack was too small by about 1" - so we had to build a new one :D

Anyhow, after we were done, I have a front rack and a very custom rear rack for my bike, and my buddy has a rear rack for his bike.

Now onto the pix:

This is a pic of the first rack we built. It was just what I wanted, but.....
Click for fullsize

...we stumbled onto this idea! Let's build a mount to hold a couple of flat packs underneath!
Click for fullsize

This is a pic of the new rack under construction. Each 90° bend is bent by hand, then welded.
Click for fullsize

Fast forward to a pic of the completed rack, yet to be painted.
Click for fullsize

If you look closely, you can see what looks like a rusty square piece of iron. This is the door that holds the gas packs in place when riding.
Click for fullsize

Finally squirted some Rustoleum on it. Looks better already :D Notice all of the tiedown spots on there!
Click for fullsize

Here's a shot of my scooter w/ both the front and rear racks mounted.
Click for fullsize

Rear rack w/ the flat packs safely tucked away. These things do NOT move once they're loaded up. No movement = no wear!
Click for fullsize

More of the rear rack.
Click for fullsize

Here's the front rack - nothin but a simple basket. I used different tie-downs on the front.
Click for fullsize

What I'll see when riding.
Click for fullsize

Here's another shot of the rear rack.
Click for fullsize

Notice that even with the drop on the rack, there is plenty of clearance for the exhaust.
Click for fullsize

So these are the prototype units. After doing some riding/camping this spring, I'll know what I like and what I don't like.

Oh, I forgot to mention that there are no bolts holding these on. There are 2 pieces of "C" channel that slid it onto the rack, and 2 clip-pins that hold it in place. No rattles (other than the moveable tiedowns). I sat on the very back of it, and can't bottom out the bike unless I bounce on it. Not bad for a lowly Prairie 360! The next one we build will be made from aluminum with stainless expanded metal (that mesh stuff) - should decrease the weight by more than half!

Total build time on this project was about 24-30 man hours. But you really learn shortcuts by just doing it. The first rack took us a full day - but we were able to build both of the other racks in less than a day!
Last edited by The Modfather on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ToddW » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:56 am

I like it!!! You seem to be like me, always wanting to carry a TON of gear! :) You must be doing some far camping if you need that much gas with that size engine. I can go all day revving high with my 800 on 1 tank of gas... so I'd need ~4gallons per-day of the trip so do you get bad gas mileage or plan on doing some expedition style camping ?

Great racks! Love the functionality.

Some things that may want to be addressed in v2.

1. No 'adjustable' tie-downs. Just use the ( part and weld it down, still can put rope and bungys under / hooked to it. I hate rattles.

2. Make a brace that goes from the rear bent like / down to the receiver area. That's some SERIOUS stress especialy when you load it with ~65lbs of gas and all your camping gear.

3. You mentioned this but I thought I'd just mention it again for good measure ;) Make it out of AL., i'd do the expanded metal AL too (do thy make that in AL?)

4. Maybe shorten it as much as possible wehre the gas cans can stll fit where they do, it seems that long you'd be doing wheelies all day or maybe not wheelies but not getting much traction on the front when you need it. (If not load balanced.)

Again, nice job and welcome :)

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:52 am

Very cool! My only suggestion is order a stiffer rear spring!
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ACLakey » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:24 am

Looks good! Nice work.

The Modfather

Postby The Modfather » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:43 am

ToddW wrote:I like it!!! You seem to be like me, always wanting to carry a TON of gear! :) You must be doing some far camping if you need that much gas with that size engine. I can go all day revving high with my 800 on 1 tank of gas... so I'd need ~4gallons per-day of the trip so do you get bad gas mileage or plan on doing some expedition style camping ?

Great racks! Love the functionality.

Some things that may want to be addressed in v2.

1. No 'adjustable' tie-downs. Just use the ( part and weld it down, still can put rope and bungys under / hooked to it. I hate rattles.

2. Make a brace that goes from the rear bent like / down to the receiver area. That's some SERIOUS stress especialy when you load it with ~65lbs of gas and all your camping gear.

3. You mentioned this but I thought I'd just mention it again for good measure ;) Make it out of AL., i'd do the expanded metal AL too (do thy make that in AL?)

4. Maybe shorten it as much as possible wehre the gas cans can stll fit where they do, it seems that long you'd be doing wheelies all day or maybe not wheelies but not getting much traction on the front when you need it. (If not load balanced.)

Again, nice job and welcome :)
Thanks for the reply. My ATV gets about 60-70 miles/tank, if I'm nice to it. We're planning on hitting the Nv desert in a few weeks, and the hopes is to be out n about for around 4 days. I will carry 2 gas packs on my unit, with a water pack on front.

Let me try to address some of your concerns.

1. Adjustable tie downs: Ugh yes - I agree with you 100% on this. There is nothing worse than a bunch of rattles! Wasn't really thinkin of this as we were welding away LOL! I do have an interim fix, however. Going to take some rubber tubing and slap it onto the rings. That should help at least calm the noise.

2. Stress points: We thought about bracing it, but with how it's designed and the thickness of the iron, you'd have to put in excess of 1000lbs of pressure on it at the far end to get it to bend. I'm not sure how it'll act after a few hours of riding (bumps and whatnot) but I will certainly report back if there are any issues w/ it, and what was done to fix em.

3. Aluminum: Yeah man - AL is the ONLY way to go for something like this. It's going to be a bit more costly, but I think the pro's far outweigh the con's. They do make aluminum expanded metal - but I think I'd go w/ stainless, as it's much stronger, and doesn't weigh that much more. Aluminum has a tendency to "stretch" under pressure. Hopefully I'll be able to find some square tubing that's thick walled enough for me to use.

4. Overall length: Originally we though to have the flat packs laying vertical, but the exhaust prevented that. at very best, with some engineering, I might be able to recover 1". Gonna do my best to "load balance" the gear an such - light bulky things in back - heavier things up front.

This has been a great learning experience for me - and I'll continue to work on this project until it's 100% functional. When we're all loaded up and ready for the trails in Nv, I'll be sure to take and post some pix :)

The Modfather

Postby The Modfather » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:44 am

Keith Strong wrote:Very cool! My only suggestion is order a stiffer rear spring!
That's something I was considering also :) I'm not sure anyone makes a stiffer spring for the Prairie though.
Junfan wrote:Looks good! Nice work.
Thanks!

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:52 pm

Thanks for the reply. My ATV gets about 60-70 miles/tank, if I'm nice to it. We're planning on hitting the Nv desert in a few weeks, and the hopes is to be out n about for around 4 days. I will carry 2 gas packs on my unit, with a water pack on front.
Oh ya whereyou going?? :?:
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

The Modfather

Postby The Modfather » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:05 pm

DAVE wrote: Oh ya whereyou going?? :?:
still working on that detail - my buddy is big into gold mining and dredging - he's lookin to find some old mining sites and whatnot to poke around in.

mack205
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby mack205 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:43 pm

nice work,theres nothing like having plenty of fuel in the desert- add a rollbar and you got yourself a kawi mule :P
Last edited by mack205 on Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Modfather

Postby The Modfather » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:46 pm

mack205 wrote:nice work, ad a rollbar and you got yourself a kawi mule :P
HAHAHAHA! Oh man I like the way you think! My poor 360 is about as slow as mule too :mrgreen:

Cheers!