Rubicon

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Rubicon

Postby ATV'er » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:02 pm

I rode the rubicon this last weekend. There wasn't to much snow. Had some snow around ellis creek and around little sluice. The trail was nice and rough.

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:03 pm

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:04 pm

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:05 pm

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:06 pm

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:15 pm

Am I seeing things right....is your quad tubed? :D
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:22 pm

Ya, I have the tubes that polaris sells. Before I had them I was scaping my fenders up and and catching the corners on rocks. They actually work really good. The tubes near my foot pegs help alot.

FishaHallic
Aka: Fishoil

Postby FishaHallic » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:32 pm

When you ride at a place like the Rubicon is there an easy way around those rock fields or is the only way to your destination over the rocks?

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:10 am

Rubicon?

There's generally no easy way around.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ToddW » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:42 am

We saw you guys heading out Sunday as we were coming in. (Big jeep and Quad in Yellow pickup).

The trail is soo much "tougher" early in the year than summer,wow it's like a new trial I really enjoyed it! No jeepers jamboree stacked rocks, it was actually technical.

First time on rubicon on quad but no idea what # overall heh... it was fun other than fuel pump on my brothers YJ breaking and me having to race back to PVille to pick one up before nAPA closed. I'll have some pics soon.

My record from soup bowl to loon dam is 22minutes... I did that 3 times so I can barely walk today, the 4th time I told my brother he was riding the quad out and i was driving his jeep.

I got a few scratches undercarriage and dented one area, overall it was great on the quad but I need skids :) As far as the rock fields and bypassnig you can in some areas but others you have to go through and you bette know what you are doing because you can get high-centered easily. And in the dark, alone this is not something you want to happen! I didn't highcenter but I almost layed it over on the very steep area of walker, saved her tho.

I think general 4x4 knowledge helps because you really want to put your tires on the largest rocks and avoid falling in the never ending cracks and getting stuck. (Trail was a spotty river past Ellis)

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:34 pm

22 minutes is pretty fast.

Your right that general tail knowledge is right. Staying on top of the rocks and choosing a good line. But it is still fun at times to take the toughest line.

Where you guys the big jeep with the rockwells?

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:31 pm

That's hauling....Jack and I did Loon to Little Sluice and back in 50+ minutes...just under an hour.

Word of advice.....my 2002 quad is a MESS from "fast" rock crawling. Stay on top of it!!!!

2 frame struts cracked
1 top frame rail cracked through
1 top frame rail cracked in half

and my new problems

Both rear lower Arms, completely torn away from the frame. I have to have the frame bracket fabricated by someone willing to help me out.

And the rear lower strut cracked on the bottom.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:16 pm

ATV'er wrote:22 minutes is pretty fast.

Your right that general tail knowledge is right. Staying on top of the rocks and choosing a good line. But it is still fun at times to take the toughest line.

Where you guys the big jeep with the rockwells?
Yeah, that's my brothers rig :)

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:18 pm

Ken wrote:That's hauling....Jack and I did Loon to Little Sluice and back in 50+ minutes...just under an hour.

Word of advice.....my 2002 quad is a MESS from "fast" rock crawling. Stay on top of it!!!!

2 frame struts cracked
1 top frame rail cracked through
1 top frame rail cracked in half

and my new problems

Both rear lower Arms, completely torn away from the frame. I have to have the frame bracket fabricated by someone willing to help me out.

And the rear lower strut cracked on the bottom.
Eek, sounds like a lot of problems. Little Sluice is right near soup bowl.

scotte
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby scotte » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:53 pm

FishaHallic wrote:When you ride at a place like the Rubicon is there an easy way around those rock fields or is the only way to your destination over the rocks?
Over the rocks. That's really the whole point of the Rubicon, so if you aren't prepared for that it's definitely not the trail for you... Some people are making bypasses because the trail is too hard for them, which is a bad thing. Now there are some hard spots that do have legal bypasses.

Note that the real gnarly picture above is Little Sluice, which does have a legal bypass, as no regular trail rig can sanely make it through.

Really, the first time on the trail I strongly recommend you do it with someone familiar with the trail as well as the current issues. You'll enjoy it, it's a fantastic trail if it's what you are looking for!