*#^$!@# DMV!!!

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

*#^$!@# DMV!!!

Postby Kendo » Thu May 24, 2007 8:52 am

So I buy my quad used from a guy here locally. We notice it has a red sticker (Polaris Sportsman 700 - '04 model). Curious, I ask dude why? He has no clue (very ignorant guy here) and said he had no issues riding it, no rangers questioned him or anything. OK, a little research on the DMV web site shows this quad should have a green sticker. I buy it.

First trip to the DMV, I transfer title and they tell me since he already paid the registration, I should get the new sticker from him. Fine, I wait. A week or so later I get the new sticker from him - RED!!! WTF?!?!?!

Second trip to the DMV (appt this time), I'm gonna get this resolved. I pulled all the paperwork off the web (CARB and DMV) and take that with me. Chick behind the counter won't even LOOK at what I have, all she can say is "this has a history of being a non-compliant ATV". I understand, but that's not right and here are the papers to prove it. Nope. So she consults the almighty DMV Bible and finds that indeed, it SHOULD have a green sticker. But rather than correcting their fawk up, she puts the onus upon me to PROVE they made a mistake. I have to take the bike to CHP or DMV and have them "verify" the emissions sticker. OK, inside, my blood is boiling, but I am cordial, I say fine and go on my way.

I get home and look the bike up and down, sideways to front and finally find the alleged sticker. Bottom of the engine, up front on some kind of ignition box. Kewl.

THIRD and final trip to the DMV. Same fawkin chick, but she remembers me. I have the bike with me and the paperwork. So me and rode very hard multiple times and put away wet DMV chick go out and "verify" what their "Bible" has already told them. She checks a couple boxes, signs the paperwork, changes the computer and hands me my new green sticker.

I invested several hours of my time in this process only to prove to them what they already knew and point out that "a mistake was made somewhere", not an admission exactly, but as close as you'll get from these fawks.

I learned quite a bit about hte program too. Here's what it is:

Because of the administrative nightmare, the red and green stickers were causing, in 2005 they made a ruling that says ANY bike manufactured prior to 2003 gets a green sticker, automatically. Bikes made from '03 to '05 that do not meet standards get a red, all others get a green. Anything after '05 that does not meet standards gets NO sticker, you CANNOT register in California.

And this also goes to show that if you are tenacious enough, you can win against the machine. :wink:
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Thu May 24, 2007 9:12 am

BTDT, try getting a GasGas Trials bike registered in CA. They don't even understand what it is. GasGas uses a 15 number VIN, DMV wants 17. The 7th or 8th letter/number is what determines if it's a Green or Red sticker machine. I started the process and it took almost 3 months to get it completed. Then the biatch behind the computer wants to add 15% because I was 20 days late! WTF? I came in here the day I got it, you're the asshat that couldn't figure it out. Finally the office supervisor did a complete over ride and handed me the Greenie :D
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Thu May 24, 2007 9:30 am

Funny, my Pops in law just got ride of a couple of Hebo GasGas trials bikes. He bought them, completely restored 'em and then sold 'em. He thought his worthless 18 year old son would enjoy riding but he's too fawkin lazy to do anything semi outdoorsy.

I'm trying to talk him into a quad now. I think I got him hooked pretty well with the talk of places like Tonopah. He digs that stuff.

I think both of his bikes had greenies, not sure how, but he probably bought them like that.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu May 24, 2007 11:21 am

Congrats on winning the war....
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Loppy
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Loppy » Fri May 25, 2007 7:33 am

I have too many stories to even remember one. I hate that F&)(^%$$*& place more than anywhere. Makes me sick how inefficient it is and our tax dollars just flow down this endless drain. I cant wait to get out of Kali.

Good for you though bro. Like we talked about, the red would prolly not have effected you much, but the stigma of the red brings the quad down. Green is the way to go. Nice job.
Scars are tatoos with better stories

zkeys
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby zkeys » Sun May 27, 2007 9:13 am

hehe, I love DMV stories. Here in the great state of Ohio I just have to take in my title, hand them $12, and I am registered for three years. (knocks on wood) Glad you got it sorted out!
Zack
06 Brute Force 650 SRA Green
Dynatek CDI
26" Mud Lite XL's on ITP Series 4

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BearCat » Tue May 29, 2007 9:53 am

LOL...Ontario Canada, Buy machine and have dealership plate it and take care of ownership. Call insurance company to get machine insured for the year(while on the way there) Sign for and pick up policy papers ...Done hehehe.

BC
Polaris' don't leak oil...They Mark Territory!
[img]http://www.execulink.com/~jesten/header.jpg[/img]

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Tue May 29, 2007 11:08 am

Normally, ours is an easy process too. However, when you buy a machine from a moron that does not know the difference between red and green, and could have had this straightened out when the initial %&*$% occured, you have to go thru what I did.

Last couple of vehicles I have purchased was an easy 5 minute transaction at AAA. Pay the fee, they type the info into the computer and viola', you get a new title and registration in about 2-3 weeks.

There are times though............... :x

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue May 29, 2007 5:29 pm

what do you expect from a state run organization. . . when I bought my 600 It was originally registered in Montana, I paid the registration for a green sticker, but the dealer tried to low ball me and only paid for a red sticker. . . one phone call to the dealer and about 2 additional weeks of wait time my green sticker arrived with a full refund of the DMV fees. . . the dealer felt bad for my inconvenience. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"