Dad and I broke in his new Hawkeye

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Dad and I broke in his new Hawkeye

Postby ACLakey » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:14 pm

Dad's first quad, and man did he have a blast.

We started out crossing a nice creek (one of several on the day) about a half mile from the truck. It is much deeper about 10' upstream from where he crossed. Don't ask how I know :oops: ....wet ass and all.

We got into some snow around the 6000' mark.

Made up to the camp/trail head not far up the road and had lunch.

We tried to get up to the top of the mountain, but the drifts got a bit too deep around the 7500' mark and we had to turn back about 2mi from the top.

I found a drift that was a little deeper than I thought on the way back down.

We had a great time and broke trail all day, but I wish I could have taken more pictures. Dad is a quadder for life now.

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:42 pm

Dad is a quadder for life now

COOL \:D/
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:11 am

How does he like the Hawkeye?? Enough power?

Ken
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:55 am

I think I really like that quad for my son....300cc....and it's about 300 lbs less than my Sportsman....so he might not kill himself.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

ACLakey

Postby ACLakey » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:27 pm

He loves it, for me it is a little on the small side. I am trying to talk the wife into one, it would be perfect for her and my boy. It had enough power to run around 35 on the roads at elevation, and is very touqy(sp) in the technical areas. He thinks it is the greatest thing going.

bam_air
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Re: Dad and I broke in his new Hawkeye

Postby bam_air » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:28 pm

Junfan wrote:Dad's first quad, and man did he have a blast.

We started out crossing a nice creek (one of several on the day) about a half mile from the truck. It is much deeper about 10' upstream from where he crossed. Don't ask how I know :oops: ....wet ass and all.

We got into some snow around the 6000' mark.

Made up to the camp/trail head not far up the road and had lunch.

We tried to get up to the top of the mountain, but the drifts got a bit too deep around the 7500' mark and we had to turn back about 2mi from the top.

I found a drift that was a little deeper than I thought on the way back down.

We had a great time and broke trail all day, but I wish I could have taken more pictures. Dad is a quadder for life now.
Are hawkeyes good because i might get one
life is an adventure when you fall down... get back up

ME

ACLakey

Postby ACLakey » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:11 pm

Depends on what you are looking for in a quad. Give us some more info and I may be able help.

As for the Hawkeye being a good quad the answer is yes. It has great low end for it's size and there is not a better riding quad for it's class. If you are a smaller framed person like my wife or my 13 year old son it would be an absolute blast!! My dad and I are a little on the large side, but it did a great job hauling us around. From our ride we found it is a little altitude sensative, meaning you need to make sure your jetting is correct for the altitude you plan to ride. We went from around 1500' to 7500' and it started to have a little issue. Nothing some tuning would not fix.

I have had a chance to ride the Honda Recon 250, Suzuki Ozark 250 and this Hawkeye. The Honda and Suzuki are a little quicker, but are 2 wheel drive. The 4 wheel drive system on the Hawkeye is great. It works just like the bigger quads from Polaris, if the rears slip a little the fronts pull you through.

If I was going to buy a 250class quad it would be at the top of my list....no other quad of that size would keep up in the tough stuff. Watch it on the low end though, by dad was able to get the front end up in some rocks. Hope this helps

bam_air
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby bam_air » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:49 pm

thnx
life is an adventure when you fall down... get back up

ME