Interesting video view of Mosquito Ridge Road

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Interesting video view of Mosquito Ridge Road

Postby hemingray » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:11 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnYLZ-tG1oo

I used to ride a road bike in the 80's, Highway 9 to Santa Cruz and Skyline Blvd were a lot of fun. I would not go nearly as fast on Mosquito Ridge - no shoulders and thousands of feet down...

Anyway - cool vid and interesting spot to mount the camera.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Interesting video view of Mosquito Ridge Road

Postby Ken » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:46 pm

Really??

I rode nearly every day from 1984-1986. My "loop" was up 92, left at Skyline Cemetary, down to 4 corners, down to Woodside...then Canada road back to Burlingame.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:59 pm

Low mounts like those are great if you want to maximize the sense of speed. When I'm doing a skiing video with helmet cam and boot cam shots, cutting to the boot cam makes it look like I'm going way faster.
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Really??
I rode nearly every day from 1984-1986. My "loop" was up 92, left at Skyline Cemetary, down to 4 corners, down to Woodside...then Canada road back to Burlingame.
Yep - I'm from Menlo Park originally, so before the bike we cruised on Alpine Rd., Skyline, all of 84, 92 from 280 to Highway 1 etc etc.

My bike loop was up 9 to Skyline, to 84 or 92, and return to SJ (where I lived at the time). My one and only crash was at a measly 15 mph on Page Mill Rd when I hit some dirt in a corner.

Scraping the pegs on highway 9 was the best though...

My best friend from the cruising days (high school and beyond) is buried there at that cemetery at the top now. Fitting that it overlooks our "territory".

BTW - do you remember when Canada Road *was* 280?
Low mounts like those are great if you want to maximize the sense of speed. When I'm doing a skiing video with helmet cam and boot cam shots, cutting to the boot cam makes it look like I'm going way faster.
It's cool as a cut shot, but I would prefer something where you can see the road more. Still, it's fun to see the dynamic of the tire on the road. The boot cam is a cool idea.

avejoe
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby avejoe » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:01 pm

I was born and raised in Saratoga at the base of Hwy 9. I could make it from our house to the top of Hwy 9 in just under an hour on my bike. Of course my bike had pedals.

Now I ride my road bike (with pedals) on Mosquito Ridge Road. The climb from the river to the top (where it starts to drop to French Meadows) is one of the longest sustained climbs I can think of.
07 Suzuki 700 King Quad (Sold)
05 Suzuki DRZ 400s (Sold)
04 Suzuki DL 650 (Sold)
02 BMW 1150RT
2006 Kawi KLR650
75 Honda CT70
77 Honda CT70
12 Toyota Prius V8

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:57 pm

Lot of Bay Area roots here... :-)

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:54 am

greats set ups there with your mounts and points of view, most have taking awhile but it looks worth it.
09 can-am renegade

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:28 am

hemingray wrote:My bike loop was up 9 to Skyline, to 84 or 92, and return to SJ (where I lived at the time). My one and only crash was at a measly 15 mph on Page Mill Rd when I hit some dirt in a corner.

Scraping the pegs on highway 9 was the best though...

My best friend from the cruising days (high school and beyond) is buried there at that cemetery at the top now. Fitting that it overlooks our "territory".

BTW - do you remember when Canada Road *was* 280?
I'm betting I passed you at some point up there... :lol:

I never "crashed". I fell once making a circle talking to a friend on my street. I landed on the lawn. The other time was riding to Carmel, I "fell" on the Fort Ord bike path while balancing stopped...going .00001 MPH. Just lost it and fell over. I would haul ass going down 92 and 84 from 4 corners. I remember one time, passing an Ambulance. They stared hard! LOL, as I went by...I'm sure thinking they'd "see" me again in a few minutes as a customer.

No...I don't remember Canada Rd as 280. I was a little kid when 280 built. The ONLY memory I have of it being built....was my grandfather was president of the Painter's Union. He'd take me a for a ride on a couple weekends, when they were painting/building the Eugene Doran Bridge.

BTW..you canadians....it's not pronounced Canada. It's spanish...it's Cañada road.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:17 am

I always worried about deer on Skyline - that was my limiting factor in speed. Somehow, I never worried about that on Highway 9 though.

I commuted to SF with my dad as a teen, and at the time, they had 280 south of Farm Hill Blvd. completed, but north of there they took you off before Edgewood Rd and from there Can-YADA road became the road until the 92 interchange. Interesting on seeing the Doran Bridge getting painted! That was quite the engineering feat at the time, if I recall.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~