Postby DAVE » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:43 pm

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:45 pm

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:04 pm

:? I can't read.. please translate... :lol:
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:25 am

It proposes banning ATV sales of adult ATV's to anyone 16 and under.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Quadgoddess
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Quadgoddess » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:37 am

Notwithstanding that initial decline, we find ourselves 20 years later again searching for ways to address an unacceptable number of injuries and deaths associated with the use of ATVs. It is my hope that these 20 years have been instructive for the Commission. During the course of these 20 years, far too many consumers have been injured and far too many consumers have died as a result of activities associated with this product. I look at this ANPR as a "new beginning" in a review of possible ATV safety actions. I strongly urge all interested parties to actively participate with the Commission in its development of options so that this time we can successfully address what has become a truly unacceptable situation.
When purchasing an ATV should a series of safety classes be mandatory for a certain age group or for those that do not have experience riding an ATV?.....

When I first purchased my ATV I was kind of suprised that the safety class was optional...the only incentive they pushed if you did participate in the class was a coupon voucher for a Helmet. And not to mention the closest place (Ohio) was quite a drive which I'm sure discouraged alot of people to even take the class.
Have more readily available classes and locations. :idea:

Kinda like when you get your license to drive a car...you have driver's ed.,/learner's permit and then step out in the jungle....

Just my .02 centz...
[url=http://carolann63.smugmug.com/]~My Pix~[/url]

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:32 am

I think classes and licensing should be mandatory for all motorized vehicles "on" or "off" road. Most beginners think ATV's are extremely easy to ride which from the beginning puts them at a disadvantage.

Personally, for beginners, I think the persons age, their size and body weight should be considerations in determining what size off road vehicle should be used.

BTW - This includes the drunk stupid Foggers that drive boats.....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Dennis
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Dennis » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:38 am

I didn't read the whole thing, but I didn't see anything about the injuries and deaths occuring with riders under 16 on "Adult Sized ATV's". The numbers seem to include all ages and all sized atv's. :?

I don't have a problem with what they're saying. I just puts the responsibility on the dealer to have the buyer sign some disclaimer saying that the bike should not be riden by people under the age of 16.

I personally am looking forward to the safty course. Though, trying to schedule it was a nightmare. We're finally signed up for Nov. 12th in Marysville. :D

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:44 am

On page 5 of 7
In 2004 Emergency room treated injuries for children under 16 years of age 44,700
38,600 in2003
25,100 in 1998
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Dennis
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Dennis » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:10 am

But those numbers do not state the size of the bike. The only real reference is " I am particularly concerned with the deaths and injuries to children under 16. Most of these are occurring on adult-sized ATVs". It does not offer up any numbers or facts, just opinion.

I personally believe that most young kids lack the maturity and physical ability to handle these larger sized bikes. Sometimes I even wonder about my own. :wink: :lol:
Last edited by Dennis on Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:49 pm

Honestly, I'm not sure what's different than now. If a 14 year old kid walked in, he couldn't buy one (at least from my dealer).

And additionally....kids mature differently and act differently. My nephew was riding around on a honda Foreman when he was 14 years old.....He was 6' 3". Like for sure, he could ride a 90cc ATV.

My daughter...rides my 700 around camp....she's 13....5' ft tall...but she's more responsible than all the adults combined. She putts around in low...never guns it.

My son? He just drove his motorcycle into our Hummer....the Hummer won, 20+ stitches on his shin. I wouldn't let him anywhere near a 700.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:55 pm

I wouldn't let him anywhere near a 700.
or the Hummer....lol
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:53 pm

Mr. Miyagi wrote:
I wouldn't let him anywhere near a 700.
or the Hummer....lol

Precisely.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:25 am

I feel that is all comes down to responsiblity of the Adults in the family. How can you put on a dealer the responsibility to sell or not sell to an individual. I mean normally a 12,13 or 14 year old would not be the one in the store shopping without the adult. And if this Adult takes the responsibility, then it is up to them.

I am all for laws to protect my safety from others, but when we create laws that protect you from yourself, I do not know, this is just another way my rights are being taken away.

By the way ken, glad K. is ok after hitting the hummer. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:41 am

I think it will give him a new appreciation for all his motocross gear.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:08 pm

Dude, you rode a Honda.... and in the Rubicon.

That's why the government creates laws to protect you from yourself...

It's ALL your fault... :lol: