National Forest Camping: Do you leave your gear alone?

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

National Forest Camping: Do you leave your gear alone?

Postby traildad » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:06 pm

We are into dispersed camping in the National Forests. I go with the idea that the other people in the forest are there to have fun just like us. We would never dream of messing around in anyones camp(stealing) and I want to assume the same of the people we share the forest with. I would like to ask what your experiences have been. Do you, or would you set up a camp and leave your stuff alone while you rode for a large part of the day? Have you heard any stories good or bad?

Ken
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:45 pm

If we're talking campsite camping..... I've never had a problem.

But FYI - I'd steal all of Chadd's sh!t in a heart beat. lol....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:45 pm

2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:01 am

My personal experience has been that if I go camping in the backwoods it is 99% of the time safe and people are cool (have been cool). I have never had any troubles though and feel that is it safe to leave your stuff while going away to ride. It seems that campers have a respect for eachother. Just remember to put the stuff out of plain site if you can as it might tempt people to enter your campsite to look more.
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:11 am

beware of the rainbow people in the forests....modern day hippies that live in the forests......they are a bad problem down here when they make it this way......u can lose a truckload of stuff quickly...if left unattended for any ammount of time.
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:16 am

is that the sierra club people, or the weird cult people?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:58 am

Thrasher wrote:beware of the rainbow people in the forests....modern day hippies that live in the forests......they are a bad problem down here when they make it this way......u can lose a truckload of stuff quickly...if left unattended for any ammount of time.

In California....the rainbow people would turn into a popcicle from either the cold, or the 15 feet of snow. That's definitely a Florida thing.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:04 am

rainbow people
There is certainly a different use of this terminology in CA.......lol.

Ask Larry....

http://www.atvobsession.com/pictures/pinklarry.jpg
Last edited by Mr. Miyagi on Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Rogue
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Rogue » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:07 am

LOL. You say Rainbow, I say San Francisco... :P
[url=http://www.nvatr.com]North Valley All Terrain Riders[/url]
The definition of irony: working on a Navy base in the middle of a desert.

clampnpolaris
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby clampnpolaris » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:39 am

high boot'n flower sniffer
2016 f-350 4x4 powerstroke,
2015 fuizon toyhauler
2015 XP1000

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:43 am

To answer Ken's question...

In camping literally...hundreds of times since 1979 when I started 4 Wheeling on the Rubicon...I've never had anything stolen.

Not to say it's not possible.....but never had it happen.

I don't tempt fate. I remove my keys to my Jeep and stow them away. I don't leave camera's laying around....stuff like that.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Rogue

Postby Rogue » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:58 pm

As the saying goes, locks only keep honest people honest.

Of the dozens of times I've been camping, I've never had a problem. But as other's have pointed out, I don't tempt fate. I lock vehicles, and I stash any equipment I don't want to part with out of sight or, if it will fit, in a vehicle.
[url=http://www.nvatr.com]North Valley All Terrain Riders[/url]
The definition of irony: working on a Navy base in the middle of a desert.

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby traildad » Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:08 pm

That sounds about right. We don't have tons of expensive stuff we just can't afford to replace it. We have a truck tent that goes up in the bed of the truck and a Weber baby Q and propane stove and ATV water and gas flat packs. Some things are a no brainer to lock up, but it would be a pain to have to take apart the BBQ and stove etc or to come back and find the tent gone :cry: Thanks for the input, Ken
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

redcat
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby redcat » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:44 pm

The rainbow people hit the Lassen National Forest last summer for their anual gathering. The Federal Forest Service and the local Sheriff were overwelmed. Google these freaks as the Rainbow Family. They show up in pos vehicles, cut down and tear up the forest and leave their trash behind. Pretty serious problems (environmental, social and law enforcement) associated with these gatherings.

Lizard

Postby Lizard » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:57 pm

I've never had a problem, but when I'm way out in the sticks, I don't leave anything of real value around, and I do not lock my vehicle. I would rather have my stereo or whatever stolen than have my window busted out also. I do disable my vehicle from starting though.
Rincon that's dialed in.