02 Bombardier Traxter XT, the toughest machine today!

Spin City

Moderator: hemingray

Stumppuller
Just opened an account at Cabelas

02 Bombardier Traxter XT, the toughest machine today!

Postby Stumppuller » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:19 am

Hey guys, I just found this site and was looking at these pics and video's, one word for ya, AWESOME, taste like more, more water pics, more climbing and mud if you can find it.

I own a 02 Bombardier Traxter XT right now with 3500 hard miles, mountain riding, mud bogging, deep water crossing, and plain fast riding, our trips consist of 60-100 miles each time. My machine has been upgraded with Arctic Cats goodyear radials and a suspension kit that has improved the ride. This thing is probably the best 500 on fuel out there also, I get 120 miles on 5 gallon's. Its top end is 58mph and has what Bomb call's the Visco lock front end, meaning this thing locks right up when you need it without having to play with leavers or buttons or wheel slippage.
The bad thing about it is its heavy, were talking 800 pounds so when you do get stuck, your stuck, but to help this, a handy snatch block is what you need.
I personally think they took over where Honda left off with this machine, it is a Utility/Recreation and not a Sport/Utility though, it has a geared tranny so no belt issue's when you pull way past the recomended weight. I have pulled utility trailers full of wood out of the bush where a tractor should of been used but this machine is my tractor too.
For anyone thinking about a real worker and you only want to have to change oil with Zero maintenance, this is your machine.
Now I just want the Independant Suspension, so I will be posting into the Polaris section next on questions.

Thanks
2007 Polaris 800 STEALTH LE (Mine)
Stainelss steal brushguard and rear bumper
handguards
Uni Air Filter
windshield for winter only

2006 Polaris 800 Green (Wife's)
Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:53 am

Great post.... and, a snatch block is mans best friend...lol Next to beer that is....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:43 am

Mr. Miyagi wrote:Great post.... and, a snatch block is mans best friend...lol Next to beer that is....

Snatch rules....er blocks.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:34 pm

120 miles on 5 gallons....The only way you're going 120 miles on 5 gallons with Twin Cylinders...

Downhill....tail wind with sail.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Stumppuller

Postby Stumppuller » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:37 am

I was told the 700 EFI, can get about 80 miles on its 4.5 gallon, so that's not bad, I wonder if the 800 EFI will do better or worse, seeing it has dual exhaust and should breath better.
2007 Polaris 800 STEALTH LE (Mine)
Stainelss steal brushguard and rear bumper
handguards
Uni Air Filter
windshield for winter only

2006 Polaris 800 Green (Wife's)
Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:22 pm

Stumppuller wrote:I was told the 700 EFI, can get about 80 miles on its 4.5 gallon, so that's not bad, I wonder if the 800 EFI will do better or worse, seeing it has dual exhaust and should breath better.

The 700 EFI is supposed to get 20% better mileage (which I don't doubt). The "800" is really only 760cc's...so it's only 60 or so cc's more than the 700. I wouldn't think the mileage of the 2 is THAT much different...you know...75 miles vs 80 miles.

I think you'd have to drive VERY conservative, throttle wise to get into the 70-80 mile range. I know on our snow rides....it's GAS freaking on...a lot. Mine just sucks the fuel. I have the miles from our last ride, but I haven't filled my tank yet...I'll check the gallons and report back what I got in on a High Throttle use ride.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Gregg

Postby Gregg » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:34 pm

With my 500 on its first ride I got 70 miles from 4.25 gallons and was sucking fumes when I got back to my truck. It was the break in ride so there was a lot of "gas on - gas off" I haven't checked mpg since but I did mount a Kolpin flat 3.25 gallon gas can to the front rack. We did a 40 mile ride at Rasor Road this weekend and I had 1/2 tank left though my daughters Ozark 250 had just hit reserve. I think 15 mpg would be the safe planning limit for a Sportsman 500. That will leave a little margin. They no longer have a reserve setting.

BTW I got to use my winch there. The Mojave River actually had water in it. 6 to 12 inches deep and 100 feet wide. I buried the rear axle of my wife's quad in the soft sandy bottom while crossing at the Afton Cyn RR bridge and had to winch it out. Wet feet for the rest of the day.
Later............Gregg

2005 Polaris Sportsman.
2002 Polaris Trailboss
2004 Suzuki Ozark
BMW R-1150 GS
27' Allegro class A
A Couple of Trailers
A few Fords