CVT Belt Replacement (Kawi Brute Force 750i)

Be A Brute!

Moderator: hemingray

BruteForce
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

CVT Belt Replacement (Kawi Brute Force 750i)

Postby BruteForce » Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:54 pm

Help!

I just pulled the CVT cover off to replace my belt and I'm finding there's old belt shrapnel still wrapped around the spline on the rear most pulley. I've been unable to budge the bolt to remove that pulley (turns the crank) to remove the old belt components. Here are a few photos to illustrate where I'm at. Any advice appreciated.

What was left of the old belt

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:56 pm

Got it off (finally). Damned near threw my back out trying to put as much torque on that bolt as humanly possible. I used another wrench in the holder hole to keep the pulley from moving.

Once I had the pulley off, I had to pry under the spring to force the belt remnants out.

New belt installed, switch flipped back to on, wires adjusted.. Bingo!

There's NO WAY I could have serviced this in the field. The amount of tools I required wouldn't be possible to take with.

FishaHallic
Aka: Fishoil

Postby FishaHallic » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:30 pm

07 King Quad with a little bling,
3.0 Warn Winch
Garmin 60CSX GPS (Update) broke this in rollover.

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:34 pm

FishaHallic wrote:Image
Yup! Danged near. In the end, Brute Force strength came through! :P

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:56 pm

Whatever you do, don't take advice from Fishoil, he has enough trouble keeping fluids in his junk. :lol:
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Atila
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Atila » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:15 pm

How much trouble is it to change normally. I always carry a spare when i go riding but never took the time to really check whats needed to change it. Do you really need to remove the drums or can you slide it over the edge?

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:55 am

Atila wrote:How much trouble is it to change normally. I always carry a spare when i go riding but never took the time to really check whats needed to change it. Do you really need to remove the drums or can you slide it over the edge?
You can just slide it over the driven provided you turn the pulley to help it along.

I had to take off the pulley(s) to remove the belt shrapnel that was stuck in the spring of the driven pulley.

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:42 pm

So I ordered yet another CVT Clutch Belt (so I could have a spare) and put the new one on today. The new and old (~150 miles on it) are the same exact Goodyear Gator Sport belts (same part number, etc).

The old one had quite a bit of give to it compared to after I installed the new one.

What's really odd is now that the new one is in place, sitting in gear, the ATV will move at 1-2mph (same in reverse). I have to put on quite a bit of brake to get to a complete stop and it takes a little "jiggling" to get it into neutral.

Is this normal with a brand new belt or is there some other issue?

Now, except for back & forth riding in my driveway (about 25' back and forth), I've not yet ridden the machine to break in the belt.

Any advice appreciated.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:17 pm

Idle too high?
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Ken wrote:Idle too high?
Nope. From what I've read thus far, it would appear the new belt is just a bit snug and that it should "break-in" shortly after I begin riding.

As it stands, after putting the new belt on, the clutch engages and the ATV starts driving (1-2mph) by itself in D and R and shifting into N is somewhat tricky.

The Modfather
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby The Modfather » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:27 pm

Sounds to me like you need to shim the sheave as the belt appears to be grabbing when it shouldn't

edit: Do you have a manual for your bike?

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:36 pm

The Modfather wrote:Sounds to me like you need to shim the sheave as the belt appears to be grabbing when it shouldn't

edit: Do you have a manual for your bike?
Yes, I have a service manual. As of yet, I've been unable to get the pulley (to the right of the driven) off the ATV. I can remove the bolt, but I haven't figure out how to remove the pulley.

Why?

The Modfather
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby The Modfather » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Oh, i was asking cuz I have a few PDF manuals and happen to have one for the BF750 - was going to pass it along. In there, it should show you how to remove the primary sheave.

edit: and measure the deflection of the belt to let you know if it's too loose or too tight.

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:41 pm

BruteForce wrote:So I ordered yet another CVT Clutch Belt (so I could have a spare) and put the new one on today. The new and old (~150 miles on it) are the same exact Goodyear Gator Sport belts (same part number, etc).

The old one had quite a bit of give to it compared to after I installed the new one.

What's really odd is now that the new one is in place, sitting in gear, the ATV will move at 1-2mph (same in reverse). I have to put on quite a bit of brake to get to a complete stop and it takes a little "jiggling" to get it into neutral.

Now, except for back & forth riding in my driveway (about 25' back and forth), I've not yet ridden the machine to break in the belt.

Any advice appreciated.
What did you do with the left over parts? :p
Sounds like you might have the wrong belt or a shim was left out.
Goodyear belt? Why? I would go stock belt.
I think the goodyear has Kevlar right? I know of Kevlar belt on Polaris cutting in to the Shives..
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:46 pm

MrBill wrote:
BruteForce wrote:So I ordered yet another CVT Clutch Belt (so I could have a spare) and put the new one on today. The new and old (~150 miles on it) are the same exact Goodyear Gator Sport belts (same part number, etc).

Any advice appreciated.
What did you do with the left over parts? :p
Sounds like you might have the wrong belt or a shim was left out.
Goodyear belt? Why? I would go stock belt.
I think the goodyear has Kevlar right? I know of Kevlar belt on Polaris cutting in to the Shives..
No extra parts. I kept the "old" belt because I needed a spare. Are for why on the Goodyear belt, it was the only one offered by rockymountainatv.com for this machine. I've used them before, but never experienced this "walking" issue.