Foresthill??

Talk about Trails. Got a good one? We want to know!

Moderator: hemingray

max2
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Foresthill??

Postby max2 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:39 pm

Is Foresthill open to ride ? someone told me they shut it down in the winter. any idea on how much snow is up there?
'07 Kawi 650i, Camo, Moose module, Moose handguards, Venom 3k winch

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:27 pm

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/recreation/arrd/ohv.shtml doesn't say anything about a closure, just that the trails are muddy and icy in spots. It closed for a period last year when we had heavy rains. There are a couple of contacts that could probably give a definitive answer. The TNF is pretty good about noting closure on the web page
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:33 pm

The meeting was last week. I dont know the outcome...

http://www.auburnjournal.com/articles/2 ... pine29.txt

A popular destination for off-road motorcyclists during the winter months could soon be off-limits.

The U.S. Forest Service is considering its wet-weather options for managing the 65 miles of Sugar Pine Off-Highway Vehicle Area trails and roads in the face of increasing use and erosion.

The Foresthill Ranger District will be holding a meeting early next month to hear input from the public and explain Forest Service options that include a winter closure.

District Ranger Jan Cutts said that the area, about 12 miles north of Foresthill, has seen increased use in recent years during the winter. That's when the trails are most susceptible to damage.

"The resources are not able to sustain the level of use year-round," Cutts said. "If all the trails or roads were designed for wet weather use we might be able to control the damage, but neither was designed for wet-weather use."

Cutts said the winter months also witness an increase in illegal off-highway vehicle use, when riders get off the trails for cross-country rides or travel on roads not designed for off-highway vehicle use.

Safety has become an increasing area of concern for the Forest Service, particularly when trail and road surfaces freeze during cold spells.

"When the frozen surfaces start to thaw, the trails get slimy, traction is easily lost and the accident potential increases," Cutts said.

Dave Pickett, president of the American Motorcycle Association's District Six, said that his group's strong volunteer network is one of the tools the Forest Service can continue to call upon to keep trails in shape both winter and summer.

With fewer trail-riding options and motorcycle use exploding among the Baby Boomer generation, Pickett said areas like the Sugar Pine courses are growing in popularity.

"With proper maintenance, trails used by our grandfathers can continue to be used for generations," he said.

The Forest Service is putting out a call for public input at a meeting from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Jan. 11 at the American River Ranger District office in Foresthill, 22830 Foresthill Road. Because of limited time, groups are requested to select a spokesperson to attend on behalf of the membership.

Phil Horning, Tahoe National Forest landscape architect, said that with the Sugar Pine area at a low enough elevation not to be snowed in during winter months, its trails have become a draw for motorcyclists in the south Placer County and Sacramento County areas as well as local riders.

"The concern is the damage to the resource from rain and increased use," Horning said.

One of the options being considered is to gate the trails during the winter.

"Part of the meeting will give the public a chance to get involved in finding the best way to address the problem," he said.

The meeting will also address the mandates, laws and responsibilities the Forest Service works with.

"Perhaps there are strategies and ideas we have not thought of to balance resource management and public safety when it comes to motorized use during wet weather conditions," Cutts said.
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

jgilly

Postby jgilly » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:32 am

I attend the meeting last night 3/15/07 and the Forest service has asked for our help. The forest service is currently only expected to receive $10,000.00 for the whole year (Screw the green sticker fund and the commission), this includes trail maintenance and services (Pumping the pit toilets and empty the trash). The local community showed up in force and ready with some great ideas and concepts for the forest services(Where was everyone else) :shock: . From my understanding the forest service is forming a volunteer group, with subcommittees that will more or less assume control of the OHV system at Foresthill with forest service oversight.

The committees are as follows:

Trail Maintenance:
Facilities Maintenance:
Monitoring:
Education:
Funding:
Long Term Planning:

Several people including myself volunteered to meet with the forest service in smaller meetings designed at getting the specific committees items moving. The end result and commitment from the forest service was to have the trail system open as soon as we can with our help.

If want to be on one of these committees please contact the forest service (Mo Tebb), and please bring your expertise in these areas.

Thanks to the Georgetown guys for really pushing the meeting forward and taking more than their fare share when it comes to heading the committees.
(They already work really hard to keep Georgetown and Rubicon open).

Thanks again... John Gillmore (The only honda on the 1st Annual Mr.Miyagi Ride)
(Chad, Dusty, Ken, Bill lets talk about getting some folks together)

ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ToddW » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:44 pm

It's closed THIS WINTER they almost ticketed us a couple weeks back :roll: I think I posted about it here in Keith's thread or on Pirate in Keith's thread.

traildad

Postby traildad » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:47 am

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/news/07_n ... sure.shtml

Here is a link to a news release about the closure.
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

jgilly

Postby jgilly » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:23 am

ToddW how did the trails look was ther alot of damage as said by the forest service?. Which trails did you hit?

PLEASE DONT RIDE THE TRAILS AT FORESTHILL WHILE THEY ARE CLOSED. Fine is $1600.00 but the damage to the OHV community is even worse.

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:38 pm

jgilly wrote:ToddW how did the trails look was ther alot of damage as said by the forest service?. Which trails did you hit?

PLEASE DONT RIDE THE TRAILS AT FORESTHILL WHILE THEY ARE CLOSED. Fine is $1600.00 but the damage to the OHV community is even worse.
There was ~1.5ft of snow on the ground when we were there so couldn't really tell how the trail as a whole system was. There were a couple spots that had VERY deep rutts that took my entire tire under water and I had to have 3 guys stand on theother side (highcenterd) to get me going forward again. That's really the only "bad" spot I can remmber.

jgilly

Foresthill OHV

Postby jgilly » Thu May 10, 2007 5:28 pm

THE FORESTHILL OHV Trails are open...

Thanks to all you you helped clear trails... I know that the six weekends I personally spent clearing trails was a awsome and great experince.

June 16th is Foresthill Frenzy with a freestyle motorcycle show in the street at Foresthill, and auction of signed gear and other really cool stuff. This is a benefit for the OHV trails put on by the Foresthill Chamber of commerce (NP) care of Freinds of Foresthill OHV Trails Volunteers.

Attendance is free, and what better way to spend a portion of your fathers days weekend watching some pretty wild stuff.

There is also a benefit dinner that night.. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased thru me if needed. PM Me...

All the money rasied at this event will be put back into the Foresthill OHV trails and surrounding OHV trails, Not one person will make one dime from this event...

Please attend...
Please spread the word...

If interested in volunteering please email me...

Thanks to all,
John Gillmore
Friends of Foresthill OHV Trails.... AKA.. FOFOT...
Email - john.gillmore@ncbb.net
Phone -530-518-5484

http://friendsofforesthillohvtrails.org/

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Thu May 10, 2007 6:26 pm

Awesome :) Thanks for the update.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri May 11, 2007 9:52 am

That is completely AWESOME...
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Sat May 12, 2007 6:20 am

Awesome! Thanks for all your hard work.
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Sun May 13, 2007 8:42 am

A big thank you to everyone involved in the FH trail maintenance group!!

We went up yesterday and rode, and I gotta say, the trails are in GREAT shape!! Ran into some water here and there, but the trails were clear and very clean. Must have been well over 100 riders up there yesterday and probably 30+ campers. Most I have ever seen in the 15 years I have been going.

We rode loops 4 and 1. Hands down, loop 1 is my favorite. I do like 7 as well (which we didn't ride) but it's kinda short IIRC.

Ken
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

jgilly

Postby jgilly » Wed May 16, 2007 6:00 pm

That is some great news about the trails, I havent personally even riddin Trail#4 yet this year.

AS a warning anyone who reads this: You may want to aviod the trails on memorial day weekend as everyone, their kids, their wifes, their trucks, their dogs, and their bikes, will be on the trail..

Some Jackass was using the newly graded staging area as a race track over the last weekend.. I would love to know who that person was... Anyone know?

Met with Channel three News today... look for a story on the trails and the fundrasing event on this Fridays news.
pretty nice guy...

Thanks,
John Gillmore

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed May 16, 2007 6:09 pm

Well, there were way too many people out there on Saturday for anyone to be racing. I did notice a couple of people not really paying attention to the speed limit however.

I know there's really no money and not nearly enough manpower, but on busy weekends, I might suggest they put some kind of law enforcement personnel out there to watch the yahoos. Couple warning tickets would probably get word around very well.

Perhaps a FH trails patrol??
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS