Johnson Valley

Talk about Trails. Got a good one? We want to know!

Moderator: hemingray

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Johnson Valley

Postby ATV'er » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:21 pm

Has any one been riding out at Johnson Valley. I know that they have some great rock crawling, trial riding, and a little of sand dunes. Has any one done any of the 4x4 trails on there quad?

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:19 am

Nope...never done the Hammers on Quad or Jeep. It's on the list though.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

scotte
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby scotte » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:35 am

There's a ton of variety out there. There are of course the hardcore trails. There are a couple of huge sand dunes that are a blast. You can play out on the dry lake bed (careful jumping through the bomb craters). You can go on a couple dozen different trails through the brushy area.

There's some cool stuff to explore along the base of the hills, too. We found an old copper mine when we were up on top of one of the hills. I projected a waypoint on my GPS so we could find it when were were back down at the bottom. It was fun to check out.

On GoogleEarth there's a HUGE "X" marks the spot bomb target out on the lake bed, which I wanted to check out next time I'm down there.

If you are really lucky you may come across some 50 year old live ordnance! Last year somebody found an old bomb, which they called in and bomb squad came out to handle.

On the downside, it's hotter than hell out there. Even in April when we were there. The wind is brutal, expect to get yourself and everything you own sandblasted.

I have no idea about riding a quad on the hardcore trails though, they are truly the most gnarly trails I've ever seen... I won't take my 4runner down there, since 35s and one locker aren't enough, if that's any help (unlike Rubicon/Fordyce which my 4runner just walks).

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:16 pm

It is defently hot. I have been down is Yucca Valley visting family. I was thinking next time I am down here I would bring my quad and check it out.