fordyce winch hills question

Talk about Trails. Got a good one? We want to know!

Moderator: hemingray

rockslayer
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

fordyce winch hills question

Postby rockslayer » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:05 pm

how many of the 5 winch hills on fordyce can you make it up on a 4 wheeler without using a winch?

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:16 pm

Me, Apparently none - the rest of the guys - All of them.
D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

ontherks
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby ontherks » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:03 pm

Well I just took the RZR across from fordyce lake to medow on friday, also Have taken the old sportsman 600 across. You skip the first 2 winch hills, but hit the last 3. I have never used a winch on fordyce. Actually I think calling they winch hills is a joke. In my CJ I never once used the winch on fordyce or the rubicon.
'14 XP4 1k

rockslayer

Postby rockslayer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:42 pm

Well I just took the RZR across from fordyce lake to medow on friday
did you run into two can am 800s that were heading down the trail from meadows turn around and follow you back up the trail? if so one of them was me :D

i dont see how you could make it up wh1 without a winch, i made it up the wh1 bypass with no winch but the actual wh1 looked impossible on an atv with out a winch.

ontherks

Postby ontherks » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:50 pm

Yep, that was us, I had the red one, the green one was my uncles and Rick (owner of cisco grove) was his passenger.
Throtall is your friend in the RZR, they sit low. I made skid plates for mine so it slides over the rocks, just need some momentum for when you high center.
'14 XP4 1k

rockslayer

Postby rockslayer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:00 pm

what a small internet lol i was the one that didnt have the back seat on (if you noticed) and stock tires, i had a great time watching you guys go up the trail sorry about the giant cloud of dust i created before meadow lake i noticed you pull out from some where behind me. we were gonna go a lil farther down the trail but we came upon you guys and i wanted to watch you guys go up so we turned around and follwed you, ive wanted a sbs for a while and after watching you i want one even more :lol: thanks for the show 8)

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:31 pm

ontherks wrote:Yep, that was us, I had the red one, the green one was my uncles and Rick (owner of cisco grove) was his passenger.
Throtall is your friend in the RZR, they sit low. I made skid plates for mine so it slides over the rocks, just need some momentum for when you high center.
I don't believe a razor going up Winch Hill #1 without a winch without pics

The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ken
Site Admin

Re: fordyce winch hills question

Postby Ken » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:34 pm

rockslayer wrote:how many of the 5 winch hills on fordyce can you make it up on a 4 wheeler without using a winch?

The real answer is....

Winch Hill #2, #4 and #5 are doable without a winch.

Winch Hill #1 isn't doable without at least a line.

Winch Hill #3 is doable without a winch depending on skill and conditions at the time.

The reason they are named Winch Hills is because of the Sierra Trek. Each hill has winch available at the top. You get 2 chances to make it without a hook....3rd attempt you will be on a hook no matter how much you bitch.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

rockslayer

Re: fordyce winch hills question

Postby rockslayer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Ken wrote:
rockslayer wrote:how many of the 5 winch hills on fordyce can you make it up on a 4 wheeler without using a winch?

The real answer is....

Winch Hill #2, #4 and #5 are doable without a winch.

Winch Hill #1 isn't doable without at least a line.

Winch Hill #3 is doable without a winch depending on skill and conditions at the time.

The reason they are named Winch Hills is because of the Sierra Trek. Each hill has winch available at the top. You get 2 chances to make it without a hook....3rd attempt you will be on a hook no matter how much you bitch.
well ive done 3, 4, and 5 without a winch so far, i agree after looking at wh1 i dont see how its possible on an atv or sbs without a winch id love to see some pics or video of that for sure 8). i havnt made it down or up to wh2 yet, cant wait to get back out there and get some big horns.

ontherks

Postby ontherks » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:43 pm

Ken wrote:
I don't believe a razor going up Winch Hill #1 without a winch without pics

:roll:
Read what I said! :!:

I went in at FORDYCE LAKE! I said I skipped the FIRST TWO winch hills!

And to say you get 2 chances during the sierra trek then a winch is also BS info. We waited almost a hour for some yahoo try to get up WH3. If the dip shits would air down the freaking tires and learn to drive, it wouldn't be so bad. And I would of taken the bypass but a toyata broke in the way.
'14 XP4 1k

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:02 pm

I'm just ball busting....

As for "BS" info...that's what the rule used to be....if they've been lax on that rule...then it's new to me. Keith Strong and RPS ran Winch Hill #2 the last couple years....he probably knows more what the current rules are on them. I've probably done about 15 Sierra Treks.....just haven't done one in a long time.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

ontherks

Postby ontherks » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:16 pm

Not sure, but that might still be the rule, but I saw them let a few vehicals not obey that rule.
As far as winch hill 1 goes, I would like to try it on the RZR, I know it climbs and wheels twice as good as the sportsman 600 did. I never would of belived anyone, til i took the old one cross the rubicon and out in the forest. The long wheel base must help. And i also think the extra weight gives it more traction. I would of thought the extra weight would hurt it, but it climbs up steep stuff.

Nice thing on the RZR is you can do the half of fordyce I did and your not tired at all, it just like driving a car. But it does beat the shit of of the RZR. With out skids and rock sliders I would not want to try it.
'14 XP4 1k

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:07 am

As with any picture this doesn't really show how tall this wall is. Just getting to it is a bitch, the bottom of this chute is as tough as any section on the trail, then you have to find your way up the last section.

Todd I think the RZR has as good a chance as anything to get up this, but I'd still want a strap to keep it from doing the inverted turtle

Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]