Rubicon - Last Snow Track Trip of the Season

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

Rubicon - Last Snow Track Trip of the Season

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:32 am

So, Scott and I decided last minute pretty much on Saturday that we would take our last snow track trip of the season. The objective was to go see the tree that fell in Little Sluice....pay our respects. Scott had to work till 9am, so we got a later start that normal, but since Day Light Savings is on....we'd have extra light. Uh...We'd need it!

We headed out around 11:30 am

Scott working his way through Gatekeeper.

The Granite Bowl was all white

Time for some sunscreen...Yes Eric, you can enjoy snow wheeling in nice sunny days. ;)

Let's GO!

Just killer snow.

Going in...we had to pick routes around water holes, winch a little...dig a little

Running along...near the Geological Survey marker

Scott...you're officially a pussy...LOL...it's FINE...GO!

In front of the tree. :(

Only time of year..you can drive on over the snow vehicle on the backside of Spider Lake to avoid Soup Bowl.

Getting up out of Ellis Creek....took some long range winching. I bring 150 feet of extra cable, just for such instances.

Hi Scott....we almost needed Ham to communicate

Come to Daddy

Caterpillar time...

As always...all the photos are on the Photo page.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Rubicon - Last Snow Track Trip of the Season

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:42 pm

Here's a video.

The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

hellcat650
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby hellcat650 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Way cool pics and video Ken :D
Dave x^3 (cubed)
07 Artic Cat TRV 650H1
2.5 warn winch
26" Bighorns
3.25 qts oil

EigerMike
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby EigerMike » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:05 pm

=D> i really like that video! =D> great pics thanks for sharing =D>
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

GusinCA
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby GusinCA » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:08 pm

That looks like great fun. Can't wait to try that trail sometime when I can use normal tires and not tracks.

But your extra winch line suggestion is a good one. I think I should have another 150' of line on board.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:45 pm

GusinCA wrote:That looks like great fun. Can't wait to try that trail sometime when I can use normal tires and not tracks.
Well....this summer...come on out.
GusinCA wrote:But your extra winch line suggestion is a good one. I think I should have another 150' of line on board.
That....is actually the result of a very infamous ride.....Jack, Terry (RIP) and myself....We went to Downieville...and at first....no snow. But the higher we climbed....more snow.

After awhile....My quad was pushing a ton of snow...so for the VERY FIRST TIME....we let Terry lead. Now, that doesn't sound like a big deal....but it is...especially in snow. You have to look back frequently, to make sure everyone is still behind you....because suddenly...you'll be mowing along....and look back, to find NOBODY....someone got stuck and you've been by yourself for the last 10 minutes....and they're 2 or 3 miles back....stuck! So....with that lead in......

I let Terry lead...for the very first time in his ATV riding career...so I took this photo.

Away he goes

Jack follows.....and as I start to leave after putting my camera away....I'm TOTALLY STUCK!

The snow piled in front of me, in that few minutes....turned to concrete. I had to get over a little rise, before the road headed downhill. So I get off my bike and walk over the rise......and this is all I see. They're Gone! Way gone!

It's pretty obvious, that I'm on my own. So I find a tree close enough...and it takes me the next half hour, just to get my quad to the spot I walked over to take that photo! While I'm winching, I'm expecting them to come back...and go WHAT's UP! But nope...still no Terry or Jack. When I see those tracks, it reminds me of the old Norelco Shaver ad with Santa riding the blades through the snow...LOL.

Anyway...I pack up the winch gear....and start down the hill to find those guys....I'm driving for a solid mile and a half.....Talking to myself the whole time...I CAN'T BELIEVE HE WENT THIS FAR. As I come around this corner.....I see this!!!

They're yelling at me to stop...cause they're stuck GOOD. And there's no trees!! So...after leaving me...suddenly, they need me, desperately, as a winch point. So we get my quad turned around....and get them winched up to my quad.

Now....it's time to winch me. Uh oh. We pull my 50' of cable...about all the way out. We gather every strap and hook we have.....and we have 3, 15 foot straps....So another 45 feet. The ONLY...and I mean ONLY darn tree that is even remotely winchable.....is probably 87 feet away...and we have 90 feet of cable and straps. You can see...the tree ain't huge and there's not a lot of slack in that cable!!

So....I pull myself up 30 feet or so

Then Jack pulls himself...and then Terry...using the Caterpillar method

The rest of the way up that trail....another mile or so....We walked the quads up....the snow sucked...and just getting our weight off...was just enough to get up the hill.

When we finally made it up the hill.....We all promised to go buy extra cable so we wouldn't have that happen again. I still have my 50' steel cable extension that I bought the next week at Montana Jacks.....plus I've added 2, 50' synth extensions....giving me almost 200 feet myself. Sometimes...that tree is a long way away.

Anyway...good excuse to remember Terry being an idiot for a few minutes....thanks. :)

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kodiak » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:43 am

well i think my recovery bag just grew a bit. great story :D
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires