Omega

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Omega

Postby hemingray » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:02 pm

Missed the last couple of weekends due to commitments. So, I decided perhaps I could hit Bowman Lake area on a secret mission. But I was drawn off Highway 20 down to Washington because I was nearly there and wanted to see where Canyon Creek (French Lake, Faucherie Lake, Bowman Lake) meets the South Yuba River. It was a slow 3 mile trip at 10 MPH to respect the residents along Maybert Road and the river. Looking upstream from the bridge over Canyon Creek:

and downstream, there's a weir - apparently Washington or at least some of it - gets it's water supply here.

There's a picnic area beyond the confluence but I didn't bother with it. Also beyond is Arctic Mine Road, but I believe it's gated and washed out anyway.

So, back to Highway 20 and realizing I'd pretty much blown my timeframe for Bowman I decided to check out Omega Road, named for the hydraulic mine town of Omega (and it's nearby sibling, Alpha).

Omega Road is also FR-29.

I figured this would be a short and boring ride. But it started out nice!

And it stayed good....

Lots of little glades and glens and small streams.

It skirts the edge of the Yuba River canyon, just below Highway 20, going east.

It tops out on Lowell Hill Ridge (Lowell Hill reaches down into the Bear River drainage almost all the way to Dutch Flat) where there is a tree plantation (newly logged no less).

Instead of following around a 180 curve, I took the spur straight ahead - and into a view that knocked my socks off. Signal Peak and Lake Spaulding are at left.

Grouse Ridge, Black Buttes and Old Man Mountain are at left.

Emigrant Gap, I-80 and Bear Valley.

All the views are great here!

Hey, there's a train at Emigrant Gap, and you can see Monumental Ridge and Quartz Mountain at the top (both on FR-19).

Sidenote for the above picture - right below the tank cars (black cylindersin the picture), there is a upside down triangular area of bare dirt. Most of it is fill from building and improving the railroad, but this spot is where the wagons of the Overland Trail emigrants had to cross over from Carpenter Valley (Laing Road exit on I-80) to the Bear Valley. They locked their wheels with chains and lowered the wagons to the valley below. Most parties rested a day or two in Bear Valley as it was abundant with grass for the animals. Then they undertook the climb out of the valley to Lowell Hill Ridge and thence down the ridge to Steephollow Creek, where they were once again faced with a huge slope to go down. Steephollow Creek heads up right near Highway 20. Later routes avoided that descent unless folks were heading to Dutch Flat - they simply stayed on ridge down to Nevada City. Well, hope you enjoyed that bit of history. This view was a huge find for me!

Here's a more expansive view of the Bear Valley. You can see these bluffs of gray ash I am atop from I-80 at the vista point.

From that spot, a single-track leads down. Yikes - wonder where it goes?

Back to the trip at hand. I had a really pleasant ride - lots of nice running through decent forest with occasional views.

Lots of really green area - probably since its a north-facing slope.

This little bridge crosses a ditch - I've never seen a concrete crossing of a ditch. Perhaps it was a water supply ditch that lasted longer than most.

More nice - without much logging slash - forest.

A little stub road that was nice to ride.

And a nice little pond at the end of another stub. Probably for impounding water - it's perched on a hill.

Back to the truck and not enough time to go down Alpha Road - which has a possibility of ending up in Washington. But here's a view from Highway 20 to Omega Diggings. It was all gated with private gates and no trespassing signs. :-( The dark ridge beyond the diggings is Gaston Ridge, upon which the road from Graniteville down to Washington runs.

Across the highway at Chalk Bluff Road (which runs all the way down to You Bet near Rollins Reservoir) is a newer staging area for motorcycles. There is an extensive trail system that runs around here.

Inspiration.

But with limitations.

All in all, a nice ride. I expected to go just a few miles, but instead racked up 32.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

hellcat650
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Re: Omega

Postby hellcat650 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:40 pm

great ride report and pics. Thanks
Dave x^3 (cubed)
07 Artic Cat TRV 650H1
2.5 warn winch
26" Bighorns
3.25 qts oil

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:09 am

Dave...fantastic photos...and a nice history lesson.

Major kudos...most of that stuff...I wouldn't notice.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:59 pm

Ken wrote:...most of that stuff...I wouldn't notice.
But then again, you don't notice washers stuck to your back for hours on end.....
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:05 pm

Point taken....
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm sure there's an inside joke there...

Thanks for the comment! My passion was originally railroads and I learned about every spot along I-80 where I could access it. Then I moved up here and discovered there was actually more to the mountains than the railroad - and I became an avid student of the Overland Trail and poked around in many places, following the routes in my truck. There are even a few isolated stretches of old US 40 that are still in existence but are cut off from any other access. Amazing to see a WHITE double line (before the double yellow) still in existence. Between Yuba Gap and Cisco there is actually an old US 40 stretch in between the east and westbound lanes of I-80. If you're pretty sharp-eyed, you can see it westbound as you reach the flat section before you climb up to the SR-20 exit. One of these days I'm going to park on the frontage road (that goes down to Shinneyboo) and cross under the freeway through the culvert and take a hike on it...

The ATV opened up even more access - so here I am.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:31 pm

great job dave! thanks for shareing that. :D
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017