GPS...

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:01 pm

XL
http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=MGEXPXL

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=MGEXP600

Do any of you guys buy the extended map programs? Does it come with any of the cool local trails or do I need to get those seperate?
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:53 pm

We all have the Topo 3D map program. That's the only way to upload more detailed maps.

It's 150 bucks from Magellan....advice...look for it on Ebay...it's about 80 bucks there.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:21 pm

07 Suzuki BlingQuad

Dennis
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Dennis » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:24 pm

Mine was $10 with the gps unit. 8) They had a special going on.
05 Brute Force 750, 650, & 07 Wolverine 450

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:05 am

wow..it's really dropped in price....

and with that Walmart discount....that's around 20 bucks? 8)
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:51 am

I wish! The discount is only 10%, but it pays the tax and a couple bucks. Where did you buy yours Dennis. I ordered yesterday from here for $289...

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=MGEXPXL
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

scotte
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby scotte » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:07 pm

The type of memory Garmins use depends on the model, but the more recent ones use MicroSD. There's supposed to be a new MapSource Topo coming this year of the entire US in 1:24K which will be incredibly awesome (but probably require me upgrading from my current 8MB Map76 to make use of).

I started a high-res map of the Rubicon (better than 1:24K) last fall but never got back around to finishing it. With a home-made map it's possible to have every well-known obstacle and landmark on the map (without requiring user waypoints), not to mention a much more accurate trail map. I don't think there's anyway to load user maps into the Magellan units though... Anyway, kind of a fun GPS hack.

monty
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby monty » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:59 pm

yea, i have a Vista CX that takes the microSD, but i just bought a 276C that takes the Garmin card. kinda silly (and expensive- $130 for 512 mb :x ) but i got the $100 rebate for the 276C so...

but when the 24k mapsource comes out, life will be good. about a year ago, i heard that Garmin and National Geographic were working out a deal that would allow the TOPO! maps to upload to Garmin units.

monty
650i with stuff

scotte
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby scotte » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:51 pm

I'm not sure how it will shake out in the 'real world', but bushnell is coming out with some units that display satellite and aerial photos. They sound pretty slick, but who knows how good the units will be.

It's only a matter of time before the big names start to have better and more up-to-date maps! The current topo stuff is either 20+ year old 1:100K USGS sources (like Garmin) or road maps applied to the USGS DEM data (like Magellan). I'm looking forward to seeing where GPSr units are in 5 years...

monty
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby monty » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:39 am

i think the sat. photos may be nice IF we had the option to switch to topo maps for all of the information maps provide that a pic won't, like elevations, national forest boundaries, ect...

monty
650i with stuff

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:25 am

Keith, I know a man who knows a man who can get you the topo 3d program. it is the older version though, not the DVD version that is out now. . . there are a few more steps that need to be done to get my version to work, but the price could be right. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:25 am

If we had Internet through SAT...you could just have Google Earth running "live".

Someone needs to talk to Google...

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:58 am

MrPolaris wrote:Keith, I know a man who knows a man who can get you the topo 3d program. it is the older version though, not the DVD version that is out now. . . there are a few more steps that need to be done to get my version to work, but the price could be right. . .
Thanks man, I appreciate it! I went ahead and ordered the one from Wal-Mart...easier to just have it ;) Now I jsut need them to arrive so I can learn how to use it :lol:

Who wants to go ride tomorrow?????
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:15 pm

Nice! Got my unit today and I am impressed. Thing is complicated though! :lol: I actually might have to read directions!

Also got the software today. Course on the box there is a promo code from magellan to get the software for $9 :roll:
Last edited by Keith Strong on Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:21 pm

So lemme ask you guys. Is there any reason I should keep the disc version of the software? Check this out...

MapSend Topo 3D USA Discount

With MapSend Topo 3D USA, you can tilt, rote and explore maps in 3D on your PC. Detailed elevation contours, streets and extensive points of interest make navigation fun and easy with your Magellan eXplorist handheld GPS. Now for a limited time, you'll receive MapSend Topo 3D USA for $9.99 with the purchase of a Magellan eXplorist 400, 500, 600 or XL. (That's a $140.00 savings!)

Follow the instruction below to claim this offer. Please note: the unlock code can be found by peeling off the first layer of the front sticker affixed to the front of your eXplorist box.

Insert the MapSend DVD in to your DVD drive. The program will start automatically. If it does not, open Windows Explorer, browse to your DVD drive, and double click the MapSend DVD icon

On the menu bar, click on

Next, click on the button shown next to MapSend Topo 3D USA v.1.5

Click on and the InstallShield Wizard will begin. Follow the instructions to install the software (Please note, the system will install MapSend Manager before installing MapSend Topo 3D USA).

When the installation has finished, MapSend Manager will launch automatically and MapSend Topo 3D USA will be highlighted. Click on the button to unlock MapSend Topo 3D USA.

In the popup window, click on BUY UNLOCK. Your internet browser will start and the shopping cart page will be shown. The shopping cart automatically adds MapSend Topo 3D USA to your cart.

On the sticker affixed to the front of your eXplorist product box, you were given a Discount Code (example: 12345-67890-12345-12345). Please enter this Discount Code in the space indicated and click . The next page will show MapSend Topo 3D USA in your shopping cart for the discounted price of $9.99.

Click on to proceed.

On the Magellan log on page, enter your e-mail address and password to continue, or create a new account.

Once logged in, the Addresses page will show. Please enter your Billing information and click

The Order Summary page is then displayed. To process your order click

Read the terms and conditions and click

Enter your credit card information and click

Once processing is complete, the Order Confirmation page is displayed. Please make sure to print a copy of this page for your records.

Return to MapSend Manager and click UNLOCK in the popup window. Enter your e-mail address and password (this will be the same as your log in information) and serial number of the GPS receiver you will be using to load maps from MapSend Topo 3D USA onto. Please note: You can find the serial number of your GPS receiver by pressing the Menu button and selecting About.

MapSend Topo 3D USA is now unlocked and ready to use. From MapSend Manager, highlight MapSend Topo 3D USA and click on to begin using the software.

Have fun and enjoy MapSend Topo 3D USA!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terms and Conditions

Promotion is only valid for customers that purchase an eXplorist 400, 500, 600 or XL.
Promotion begins August 1, 2006 and is valid while supplies last.
Limit one promotional price of $9.99 for MapSend Topo 3D USA per customer name and address.
Offer only valid for MapSend Topo 3D USA and is not valid on any other MapSend products.
This offer is not valid for any other software product made by Magellan or otherwise.
This offer is non-transferable.
Requests for multiple rebates from businesses, groups, clubs, schools or organizations will not be honored.
Fraudulent submissions of multiple requests could result in federal prosecution under the U.S. Mail Fraud Statutes (18 USC, section 1341 and 1342).
Offer valid in the United States. Void where prohibited by law.
Can not be combined with any other offer.
Magellan has the right to terminate this promotion at any time.

So my question becomes, do I save the 60 bones and return the software I bought and just download what "Appears" to be the same thing? Or am I better off having the disc and everything I have shrinkwrapped in front of me?
07 Suzuki BlingQuad