Tusk City Slicker Plow-60"

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

FishaHallic
Aka: Fishoil

Tusk City Slicker Plow-60"

Postby FishaHallic » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:20 pm

Well I finally got to use the plow I bought several weeks ago. Now I know I don't get the snow here in Reno like the Griz does up by Donner but we got around 3-5" today and since I installed the plow this weekend it was the perfect time to test it. It worked just fine and sure beats having to explain to the neighbors why my wife is shoveling the driveway and not me.

I bought the Tusk City Slicker Plow with a 60" blade from Rocky Mountain ATV and the shipping was FREE, it shipped UPS ground and I rec'd it 3 or 4 days after I ordered it. I paid $349.00 and I am very happy with the product. This is the second time I ordered from Rocky Mountain ATV and so far they have delivered within several days of my order with out any issues.

Now the "Bad News" ](*,) ........see obsessed talk section
07 King Quad with a little bling,
3.0 Warn Winch
Garmin 60CSX GPS (Update) broke this in rollover.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:40 am

Rocky Mountain is really quickly moving into the dominate ATV accessory site.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:42 pm

After shovelling 100 feet (linear, not vertical) of Sierra Cement last night to allow me to get our lame SUV down part of our hill so my significant other (a.k.a. "She Who Must Be Obeyed" - ha ha) could get to work, I ordered a plow from Rocky Mountain. In 9 years, I've been snowed in 3 times (we have a really steep driveway and road) and have shoveled the thing numerous times too. So I decided I'm not shoveling the dang thing again. I'm getting too old for this, and it'll be worth it even if we don't get a lot of snow at 2200 feet and I only use it once a year.

I really did enjoy running up and down in the snow with the Bighorns (wheels and tires from Rocky Mountain also!), it was nice to have a way other than hiking on "cardiac hill" to get back and forth to the vehicle. Truth be told, that's one of the reasons for me getting an ATV.

So, FishaHallic, thanks for the recommendation and I'll be ready for the next snow (which is now years away since I have a plow!)

Dave
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

FishaHallic
Aka: Fishoil

Postby FishaHallic » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:04 pm

The directions for installing the plow could be a little better but the plow itself seems pretty nice to me, better plan on several hours of tinkering to get it in right. I also ordered this item http://www.montanajacks.com/index.asp?P ... 20Fairlead from Montana Jacks and rec'd it within 3-4 days :thumbsup: , I have not installed it yet but hopefully it will help the winch cable last a little longer.

Good luck
07 King Quad with a little bling,
3.0 Warn Winch
Garmin 60CSX GPS (Update) broke this in rollover.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:28 am

hemingray wrote:(which is now years away since I have a plow!)

Dave
LOL...yep, you put the GRIS GRIS on it. Won't snow now till 2015.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:29 am

FishaHallic wrote:Montana Jacks and rec'd it within 3-4 days :thumbsup: , I have not installed it yet but hopefully it will help the winch cable last a little longer.

Good luck
Should help a lot. Steve and crew at MJ's have their "shit" together.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:05 pm

Ken wrote:
LOL...yep, you put the GRIS GRIS on it. Won't snow now till 2015.
Which actually is OK with me, as I think about it - either I plow it or it doesn't happen! Same end result, car goes down driveway. You made me think of my generator - used once. I pretty much pull it out once a year, add a cup of gas to the tank, run it 'til it runs out, and "see ya next year"! Certainly has minimized the long power outages..
:lol:

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:00 pm

Started installing the plow today - unfortunately it came missing the skids. I'm suire RM ATV will send some along for me. But with 60 degreesoutside, I think it will be awhile before I need it.

Saw this cool idea (scroll down about 7 messages to the picture with the orange pipe on the plow)
http://utilityoffroad.com/forum/topic.a ... hichpage=2

I have a lot of road that's not really smooth, this would be the perfect thing for it on the not so steep parts.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hemingray

Ready for the never-coming snow

Postby hemingray » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:57 pm

Plow comes, 60 degree temperatures in February come. Get the drift?
(ha ha)

Here's the plow installation - went on pretty easily.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:58 pm

Well, despite jinxing things by buying a plow, we still got a few inches of snow a little over a week ago. This plow turns out to be awesome. Plowing our entire road was a breeze, and fun to boot. The neighbors were blown away with a plowed road (we have about 10 houses on a shared private road), they thought the county plow had come up the road by mistake!

Unfortunately, I didn't have the skids adjusted right (there are no notes in the instructions about how to adjust them) and I had too much weight on them - they wore down real quick. When adjusted properly, the wear bar on the blade and the skids should all touch the ground about the same time when you lower the blade. My bad!

I learned about that in a little video that Rocky Mountain ATV/MC has - http://offroadvideos.magnify.net/video/ ... nting-in-2 Even though they show the ATV lifted, the installation with all 4 on the ground was easy. Going from summer mode to winter mode takes 2 minutes.

Anyway, highly recommend this plow!

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:01 pm

Was I the only one to use this stuff and actually POST pictures.. SNOW toy usage= posts with pics
D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:46 pm

d2photo wrote:Was I the only one to use this stuff and actually POST pictures.. SNOW toy usage= posts with pics
You have a plow? Where are the pix? I enjoyed all your other pictures - but didn't see plow pix!!

Dave

ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ToddW » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:57 pm

I used my Warn plow today for the first time.

I did my driveway and some parking areas... all in all I probably plowed for an hour.

When I was done it was broken :cry:

The selector thing for your angle is just a piece of steel that sits in another piece by about 1/4" and if you bump the edge of the blade it makes the plow jump as to not break it and it POPS the selector out and the blade moves, well this happened 2 times and it bent and now it wont go in :(

For now I`m going to pin it in place, and then when I get my tools ready I`m going to weld on some new attachment points and re-do the angle mechanism with heavy-duty springs like are used for the angle / rebound thing, and tensions so basically it has some give but not to much and no more hopping around.

All in all the plow KICKS ASS as I would NEVER be able to do my driveway by hand.

I`ll get pics and video soon !

FWIW: My blade is 48" Standard Warn, I can't see doing more than 48" or 54" and 1ft of snow w/out chains... I was struggling pushing my 48" of snow <1ft deep more than 20ft at the steepest side angle.

I think an upgrade to the Cyclone may be in my future.
http://www.warn.com/atv/plows/cyclone_blade.shtml

I`m pretty sure I can just swap that blade on.

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:57 am

I have a 48" Cycle Country plow and it's bashed into trees, cement curbing, pushed literally TONS of snow (enough to create 4' piles along the road), and has yet to show any sign of damage (save for some slight bends in the blade edges).

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:34 am

BruteForce wrote:I have a 48" Cycle Country plow and it's bashed into trees, cement curbing, pushed literally TONS of snow (enough to create 4' piles along the road), and has yet to show any sign of damage (save for some slight bends in the blade edges).
It's not the plow itself, it's the mechanism that holds it/angles/lowers the part that spins. Top plate bent up a bit and lever bent sideways.

How does yours work?

For now I`m going to pin mine at the angle I use, and then eventually use HD springs with different pin positions to control it and allow some bounce back side to side.

-Todd