Tusk City Slicker Plow-60"

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:14 am

Never had any issues with mine either. slot it into the position you are going (mine was a tapered blade) so for me to the right and run - throws it out there quite nicely.
D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby ToddW » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:24 am

Yep, it worked great but after those two hits the slot (top piece that roates) was bent upward, and the piece that goes in the slot was bent sideways.

Maybe I`m the only one that was going a lil over 5mph but under 10mph?

OR it may have been the 2nd time, I think it happened when I Was in reverse, instead of just skipping over (hopping) it caught.. hrmm

Oh-well, soon it will be modified. And a 54" Cyclone blade may be stuck on there too :twisted: i`d still like chains but its working so well without i doubt i`ll need them if i keep up onit and dont let it build up.

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:49 am

have had MANY hits on the blade but the springs took all of the hit.
D2
www.peta-atv.com

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:01 pm

2-3 inches this morning at 2260 feet.

Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:17 pm

I`m not plowing a paved road...

Plowing a dirt and gravel road that is uneven in some places too. The blade has flipped forward a couple times but this isn't the issue... issue is a direct side hit... a larger rock, uneven dirt clump, or a branch under the snow.

Driveway:
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.p ... 1234550397

We got another 1ft that night and the next day plowing was fun with the lil plow... if it keeps up a yellow one is gonna be needed :twisted: new toy!

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:40 pm

I agree that it trips pretty easily, maybe I've got the springs too tight. I caught one side (the trailing side) and I noticed the half ring is now a little bent. It doesn't affect operation, but I think it's the sort of thing you're seeing.

Thinking about your dirt road, something that I wondered about - because replacement skids are $50 a pair - was making some kind of bracket and using metal casters instead of the skids. In the case of a dirt road, I would think the ideal would be to have a the blade ride slightly above the grade somehow, and casters would be better than the skids. Just a thought, it would require some kind of custom bracket I would think.

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:49 pm

hemingray wrote:I agree that it trips pretty easily, maybe I've got the springs too tight. I caught one side (the trailing side) and I noticed the half ring is now a little bent. It doesn't affect operation, but I think it's the sort of thing you're seeing.

Thinking about your dirt road, something that I wondered about - because replacement skids are $50 a pair - was making some kind of bracket and using metal casters instead of the skids. In the case of a dirt road, I would think the ideal would be to have a the blade ride slightly above the grade somehow, and casters would be better than the skids. Just a thought, it would require some kind of custom bracket I would think.
My skids only get hung up a few times, and the blade is about 1" above the skids when I was playing with it on the road. It actually sucks for getting the road clear (solid) but on the dirt/gravel they dig in a little and skip across and it gets down to the dirt with very minor snow left.

I catch the edge in buried things, or solid ice chunks it seems... all it took was 2 hard hits that I recall to cause mine to moon shapee so much that the top plate bent up and the piece that goes between the slots bent sideways. I just drilled a hole and am using a 1/4" bolt, lost one already, this one has a nylock nut :) The steel around the bolt is actually wobbled already too.

Since I switched to the bolt I've been more careful, and go slower most of the time and faster when I know what's under.

Learned quick with this last storm to push it far off the road to make the next day plowing quicker :) since I didn't do this in a few spots I had to raise the whole thing 2-3" off and ram. This I would imagine is also not good to do with the blade angled straight on would probably be a lot easier on the bolt/hole.

Another thing I learned is that it's a LOT easier on the plow to plow downhill than up my driveway... skips along easier and gets stuck less.

For me the thing is a kickass time saver as some of my friends and family would never make it in my driveway unless it was plowed.

With the amount of recent snow it was becoming a pita in some places so I think for next winter I`ll upgrade to the yellow blade.

I got a poly wear bar but the steel one has been working fine so I`ll probably just resell it.

I`ll get some video next time.
-Todd

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Yeah, I live at the top (end) of the road and 1 neighbor and I share a really steep driveway. The road below is no slouch either, but our top part is the bear when it snows. It's peace of mind, knowing I can open up the road when I need to. The fun of plowing the road for for the neighbors is just the icing on the cake - and to me, the plowing is just dang fun. But, I'm glad it's only once in awhile! Anything more frequent would require something more robust.

Anyway, yes - the downhill run is definitely the way to go. I just go ahead and go back to the top and plow downward.

At least I got the skids and plow adjusted so I'm not killing the skids like I did the first set! :-)

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:25 pm

I have my blade angled back (leaned back I guess) as far as possible. I think any type of forward lean would cause it to catch ALL the time and really screw me up. I think my skids are adjusted in the middle area.. I`ll double check that and report back later.

But I agree, it's darn fun to open up an area :twisted: but if I had to do it daily for 1hr each day it'd get old quick. It's a workout holding the wheel and controlling the weight up front. Anything over 1ft also comes up over so maybe a windshield next year and a bigger blade :shock:

It's nice to have a real driveway not a compacted frozen ice bed like I had before too.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:30 pm

Guys.....come on now......

all this plowing talk is making derrick weepy for the good old days..
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:09 pm

The bummer is that in a few days, the fine work is all gone. Only the wear on the plow remains, with a thought of job well done. Sigh.

But I'm not hoping for more snow at our elevation...

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:05 pm

I MISS THE SNOW - Kim has even said SHE misses the snow.

Goal - to be back up the hill before Kaylee starts school..

Now Daddy just needs to find a JOB..

Last day of work is tomorrow 2/20. only going to be there long enough to pick up the severance package/last check and turn in the badge..
D2
www.peta-atv.com