Winch advice

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Winch advice

Postby traildad » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:44 pm

I am finally getting a winch for my ATV. I can buy a Yamaha kit that is a Warn winch. I haven't been able figure out what model it is. As best as I can tell it is in between the old 2.5ci and the new RT25. It has steel cable and I am not sure if it has a brake. It is sold as a complete kit and Yamaha says it will fit my quad. I can also just buy an RT25 or XT25 and look for the other hardware separately. There seems to be some confusion about what will or will not fit my quad. The 2005 Kodiak 450 didn't seem to be a big winch seller. I am trying to decide if any of the features of the newer winches are worth the possible trouble of getting what I need to fit my quad. I know the Yamaha kit will fit. When might the brake be worth the extra trouble or money? How does it help use the winch? Also, what accessories are worthwhile if I want to be able to use the winch easily when if I was riding alone? Thanks
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:33 pm

I have the RT30 on mine and I really like it. They did a lot of improvements to the older models and incorporated them all into this winch. The XT comes with synthetic rope, but you can buy syn on eBay for much cheaper than Warn charges to 'package' it.

I ran into one small problem with my install. There is a small 'nub' on the motor end of the new RT's that isn't on the ci or ce versions, and on the Polaris there wasn't enough room for it. I wound up cutting a hole in the plastic to get the winch in. No big deal, but it was an extra step.

Accessories - snatch block, tree saver and an extra 50 feet of cable or syn rope I would say would be minimum. I also carry shackles and a nylon tow strap that is about 20 feet long.

The other nice feature with the RT is the remote control. You might find yourself in a situation where you can't be on the quad and operate the winch.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:50 pm

The best part of the newer RT winch's is that they are quite.
KI6MLH

BruteForce

Postby BruteForce » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:24 am

I have the new WARN RT25 on my BF 750i. In the snow, this model didn't have enough power to pull me out. If you have a full size/heavy machine, I'd go with the 30 series.

Agreed on how quiet the new style is. I can barely hear it running compared to the unit on my 2001 Kawi.
2013 Sportsman XP 850 (Browning Edition) FI/EPS/LE
2005 & 2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i

Rider has ferocious attitude!

My blog site: http://utahbruteforce.com

roon101
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby roon101 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:27 am

i would go with the most pulling power possible i have a jap junker winch for now because i had it and my warn blew up because of my crapy wiring skills
06 Polaris sportsman EFI 500 H.O.
25inch maxxis big horns.

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:29 pm

I believe the Warn mount for the 03-04 Kodiak (63945) is the same used for the 2005 and 2006. Ramsey uses the same part number or kit from 2004 to 2006.

The RT25 is probably all the winch you'll need, add a recovery kit with snatch block and a few extra straps and you'll be ready for almost any winching scenario

Bigger isn't always better, your electrical system is the limiting factor, especially with the Yamaha.

You can get a RT25 and mount for less than $350, what is the Yamaha kit going to cost you?
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

traildad

Postby traildad » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:45 pm

The Yamaha kit is $415 minus my 10% discount. I have seen it online for $360. Online I have to pay shipping, at the dealer I have to pay tax. How does the brake work on the RT? The Yamaha kit is not clear if the winch is an RT. I am beginning to think that it is but I want to make sure. Is the brake something that works electrically? How important is the brake if I got a winch that didn't have one? Thanks Ken

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:44 pm

The brake is mechanical, I believe it's a "cone style" brake.

How important - IMHO - very! Let's say you're on a very steep incline and you have to winch up it to get outta trouble. You get off the quad, propped up against a log, drag cable and then attach to winch point. You start winching. Halfway up, you need to readjust yourself to finish. As soon as you let go of the controller, there's enough pressure on the cable that the quad starts rolling right back down the hill towards the log - without a brake that is. Same situation with a brake, the quad is held in place.

Without a brake you're relying strictly on the motor to hold it back. The brake makes the motor much happier.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Norcalbmxer
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Norcalbmxer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:22 am

ATV'er wrote:The best part of the newer RT winch's is that they are quite.

Quite what? Are you ever gonna finish your sentence?
"If you cant crawl over it, just wheelie over it" - Ken
www.joinernetworks.com

My Right rear tire has 2 plugs in it, but my left rear only has 1

traildad

Postby traildad » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:56 pm

Well I ordered the Yamaha Warn winch kit. I am pretty sure that it is a normal RT25 with a Yamaha sticker on it. It is a shame that I am buying from the dealer that sold me the ATV and no one in the parts department seems to have the first clue about the winches they sell. :roll:

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:13 pm

There's some great deal on winches out there if you shop around. Then all you have to buy is a mounting plate for you atv.
KI6MLH

traildad

Postby traildad » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:58 pm

ATV'er wrote:There's some great deal on winches out there if you shop around. Then all you have to buy is a mounting plate for you atv.
Since the 05 Kodiak 450 seems to be winch challenged I decided to buy from the dealer. The kit includes everything and is made for my Yamaha. When I look at GoWarn.com or Amazon, it does not mention the wiring or contactors etc. GoWarn does not even list a mounting plate for my quad. Thanks for the help.

Wildhorse800

Postby Wildhorse800 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:46 am

Norcalbmxer wrote:
ATV'er wrote:The best part of the newer RT winch's is that they are quite.

Quite what? Are you ever gonna finish your sentence?
I believe it is a typo.

"quite" = quiet

...it happens.... :D
2008 Polaris SP800 HO
1999 Polaris SP500
2008 Suzuki M-50
1988 Honda VLX 600

I've been told I joke around too much.
So one day I tried being serious.
Everybody laughed!

Atila
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Atila » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:30 am

If the front receiver is made like the one on my 03 kodiak i would suggest you to reinforce it before putting the plate on it, The four legs holding the plate on the bumper broke on mine had to weld the plate in place.