Prototype Skid

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Prototype Skid

Postby Kendo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:55 am

OK, so I didn't buy it, I made it. This is on a 500 Poo and I didn't make it full coverage because it's the wife's quad and she doesn't ride quite as aggressively as some of us. :)

It's made from 12 guage steel and the "rocker knockers" are .11 wall 1" tubing. I reinforced all the mounting holes with thick 1/2" washers and welded threaded inserts into the frame of the quad so you can remove and replace by just unbolting it. Uses tapered allen head bolts - 5/16". It's also spaced away from the frame jsut a little to account for the dimples in the factory skid.

You can also see the modified A arms. Also 12 guage steel welded directly to the A arm.

Next is the full belly skid for the big twins.......

'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kodiak » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:08 pm

that is awesome man way to go. just curious how heavy was it before you bolted it on?
also very smart idea to put the skid plate under the footwells, i have no idea why the factory doesn't do that. they obviously have never been on the rubicon or fordyce :D
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

EigerMike
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby EigerMike » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:16 pm

very nice kendo! show me the welds! i like the a arm skids. so how did you break/bend your 12 ga?

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:06 pm

Kodiak wrote:that is awesome man way to go. just curious how heavy was it before you bolted it on?
Best guess - about 20 lbs. It's almost 4 feet across and 16" front to back.
EigerMike wrote:show me the welds! i like the a arm skids. so how did you break/bend your 12 ga?
Ha! You mean you can't see the welds in my pics?? :lol: You'll laugh when I tell you how I bent it. Welding table, two big ass C clamps and a piece of solid bar stock. That and my fat butt leaning and bouncing on it. I really need a brake......
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:57 pm

:lol:
Last edited by EigerMike on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 pm

Ha! You mean you can't see the welds in my pics?? You'll laugh when I tell you how I bent it. Welding table, two big ass C clamps and a piece of solid bar stock. That and my fat butt leaning and bouncing on it. I really need a brake...

precision bending at its best! my fat ass is rated for 10 ga :lol:

i like the tubes on the ends/sides nice little rock gaurds! my foot wells got beat to hell after rubicon/fordyce.i think all foot wells get beat no matter what quad! let me know if you ever want or need help i love welding/fabricating. :D