trailers to pull behind ATV on the trail

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

rangertom
Is tracking a shipment right now

trailers to pull behind ATV on the trail

Postby rangertom » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:47 am

I've been looking for about a couple weeks for a trailer to put my camping gear into a campsite to keep from overloading my racks and squatting my springs so bad. So far I've found two that fit the bill. One is sold at Sportsman's Warehouse, and the other is made my Summit Tree Stands...

Both have suspension (independent) and all terrain tires. The one sold at Sportsman's Warehouse is $750. The one made by Summit tree stands is $399 shipped (sale price).

Has anyone found a better trailer to use for pulling behind their ATV that they didn't have to custom build?

Sportsman's doesn't have products on their website, but Summit Tree Stands does.

http://www.summitstands.com

I don't know if anyone's interested in this...but this is just a call out to see if anyone's heard of a better one than these that's not gonna bust a bankroll...

Thanks!
05 Magnum 330 4WD (wife's)
04 Sportsman 700 EFI (mine)
02 TRX90 (daughter's) (for sale to buy my daughter a Sportsman 90)

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:31 am

How much crap do you carry? lol.... and.... How long are your trips?
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:15 am

Mr. Miyagi wrote:How much crap do you carry? lol.... and.... How long are your trips?
Lots...

food 10-15 lbs
drink (beer, water, juice) 20-30 lbs
ice 20-30 lbs
extra set of clothes 5 lbs
cold weather gear 5-15 lbs
guns/ammo 5-20 lbs (we love to shoot)
fuel 10-20 lbs
cookin supplies 1-2 lbs
sleepin bag 5 lbs
sleepin cot 23 lbs
tent (when weather is "iffy") 2 lbs
tools 20 lbs
little compressor 1 lb
grill to put on the fire(gotta have the steaks/burgers/dogs) 2 lbs

124 lbs, best case
190 lbs, worst case

I'm sure I'm missing about 50 lbs worth of crap...but I just can't think of it off the top of my head.

crap really adds up on the longer trips...we don't really compromise when it comes to the "creature comforts"

Trouble is, when you're that heavy, the beast's suspension is really stressed...then add rough terrain and damage begins to occur. I'd just really like to put the crap in a trailer, and lighten the atv. I'd like to put all the food and drinks in a big 5 day cooler w/lots of ice...and all the camping gear back there too...then when we roll up on the campspot...we can just drop the trailer w/everyone's crap in it (or trailers) and ride for a few hours then come back to set up camp.

when we go, we don't mess around...we unload, drive to our capsite, set up camp, and go explore. we generally do at least 2-300 miles on those trips. lots of fun...

Yah kinda seeing the idea here? [/code]

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:08 am

Looks like he has everything weighed.
I just keep loading, it don’t fit I add another strap.
:lol: :lol:
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:20 am

Lots...

food 10-15 lbs
drink (beer, water, juice) 20-30 lbs
ice 20-30 lbs
extra set of clothes 5 lbs
cold weather gear 5-15 lbs
guns/ammo 5-20 lbs (we love to shoot)
fuel 10-20 lbs
cookin supplies 1-2 lbs
sleepin bag 5 lbs
sleepin cot 23 lbs
tent (when weather is "iffy") 2 lbs
tools 20 lbs
little compressor 1 lb
grill to put on the fire(gotta have the steaks/burgers/dogs) 2 lbs
Seems like all the normal stuff we/I carry...... except for the cot. Get an air matress (2.5 lbs??). Ken seems to like them.......

You can also save on food weight by eating MRE's (great tasting). Then you can upgrade to a pony keg!! lol.....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:32 am

MrBill wrote:Looks like he has everything weighed.
I just keep loading, it don’t fit I add another strap.
:lol: :lol:
All those weights are approximate...I guessed on every one but the cot...

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:36 am

Seems like all the normal stuff we/I carry...... except for the cot. Get an air matress (2.5 lbs??). Ken seems to like them.......

You can also save on food weight by eating MRE's (great tasting). Then you can upgrade to a pony keg!! lol.....
the cot is just an elevated air mattress set up I found at walmart...(love it)

MRE's are like 7-8 bucks a pop...and I had enough of them free of charge in the Army...I don't really take more than 2 or 3 on a camping trip...and still don't pay for them...they generate WAY to much trash.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:38 am

Yeah...I use the Top End air mattress from REI. The kind where the air goes in when you open the valve (plus a little blowing). Then you open the valve and roll, to let out the air.

it's about 120 bucks....but worth it. My $40 walmart specials...blew out after only a few compressions...and they weren't nearly as comfortable.

When it comes to small, backpack like items that WORK...you get what you pay for.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Lizard

Postby Lizard » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:55 am

Be warned that pulling a trailer loaded like that will REALLY affect the handling of the ATV. Because of the short wheelbase of both the trailer and ATV, it will get squirrelly at speeds over 20 MPH. I've been there. My trailer now is used around the property. I carry a whole bunch of gear, and now believe in the "bring less" theory. If you do slow trail cruising and avoid technical situations it will be great. If you think you can push the speeds or the difficult trails, your in for an E-ticket ride.

Good luck, Lizard
Rincon that's dialed in.

BradM

Postby BradM » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:45 am

Yep, Lizard is obviously speaking from experience. My experience with trailers is the same. A trailer affects the ATV's behavior to what I consider is an unacceptable degree. It is a real thrill to be pushed by a trailer, sliding, down a hill, or to have a trailer's pulling effect cause your tires to break loose while going up a hill.

As for gear, I make sure to carry everything I need on the machine, or I leave it home.
http://www.intrepidexplorers.org/

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:45 pm

Makes sense....ATV's just don't weigh that much, to essentially ignore the weight.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:04 pm

Ken wrote: My $40 walmart specials...blew out after only a few compressions...and they weren't nearly as comfortable.

When it comes to small, backpack like items that WORK...you get what you pay for.
Generally, I live by this rule of thumb. However, another riding buddy of mine, who's about twice my weight, has had his for 7 camping trips, 6 before I went ahead and bought one. I'm a "show me" kinda guy...and I figured as many times as he filled and packed his, w/out having a leak once, tolk me this little jobbie might be just the ticket.

So far, so good.

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:11 pm

Lizard and BradM,

Thanks for you're concerns guys...I'd thought of that. We kinda figured we'd stop before getting into anything that crazy to risk being pushed down a hill or off a ledge going around a corner...also realized our atv's handled differently when under a load, both on the racks and on a trailer...as we've pulled them before into campsites recently. We noticed the same things you guys mentioned.

Anyways...guys...I was just fishing for options for trailers. After pulling up some hills, and back down, around corners, through washes, we've decided we know what will work, we're just looking for the best design and deal now, before we buy it.

Again, I/we, appreciate you fellers' concern.

boxcar
Wears Teal Eddie Bauer clothes

tough little trailer

Postby boxcar » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:33 pm

This little trailer has Timken wheel bearing and 6-ply tires....check it out

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=47845

Its pretty versatile, the expanded metal deck allows you to go "bungee crazy" and the stake pockets are endlessly versatile. A 4x6 pup tent would even set up on mine with a tad of engineering....just a thought. I put a ball coupler on mine and wooden sides. I would like to build a pintle ring for it.
2001 Honda Rubicon
Maxxis Bighorns (bias-ply)
Warn 2500 multi-mount
Detroit gearless locker

rangertom

Re: tough little trailer

Postby rangertom » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:05 am

boxcar wrote:This little trailer has Timken wheel bearing and 6-ply tires....check it out

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=47845

Its pretty versatile, the expanded metal deck allows you to go "bungee crazy" and the stake pockets are endlessly versatile. A 4x6 pup tent would even set up on mine with a tad of engineering....just a thought. I put a ball coupler on mine and wooden sides. I would like to build a pintle ring for it.
That looks like a great yard trailer for chores/landscaping and such...not much of a trail worthy trailer...no suspension...

It does look tough though! I'm honestly still undecided as to which trailer to get, but this one isn't on the list of possibilities.

Thanks boxcar...