New side x side or not?

Pick a key...any Key!

Moderator: hemingray

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

New side x side or not?

Postby MrBill » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:39 am

Found the picture. Not sure if real or not.
Looks like a RZR
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:30 am

Or is this it??
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:19 pm

I like # 2 8) 8) 8)
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

d2photo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby d2photo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:27 am

the first one is a SURE photoshop job - tubing is an exact match as well as seats.
D2
www.peta-atv.com

'06 650 V2 Cat (roll count - 3) (rides w/o roll - 40

"You may not be the solution, but you can ALWAYS be part of the problem. It's good to contribute where you can"

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Thu May 06, 2010 11:24 pm

The Can-Am SxS is alive and they will be doing a press release and product release on June 8, their website is supposed to go live at 1201 am. If you're in the market for a SxS save your money until you see it, you'll be glad you did
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Wildhorse800
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Re: New side x side or not?

Postby Wildhorse800 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:48 pm

2008 Polaris SP800 HO
1999 Polaris SP500
2008 Suzuki M-50
1988 Honda VLX 600

I've been told I joke around too much.
So one day I tried being serious.
Everybody laughed!

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:05 pm

I saw it on DirtTrax....

A) I love the motor
B) I love the looks
C) I love the 3 Key system
D) I love the computerized throttle system
E) I love the suspension

F) I HATE, ABSOLUTELY HATE that stupid Viscolok or whatever 4WD system...spin, spin...sorta lock.

Put that SXS on the Polaris AWD system and you'd have an awesome sidebyside.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

montana.matt
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby montana.matt » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:43 am

Ken wrote:F) I HATE, ABSOLUTELY HATE that stupid Viscolok or whatever 4WD system...spin, spin...sorta lock.
I think that's why they call it "Crisco Lock" instead of Viscolok :lol:

The other thing I don't like about it is its width... Too wide to be legal on forest service trails, at least up here (over 50" wide)
2005 Polaris Sportsman 800

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:28 am

I got my hands on a couple of their final production prototypes in April out in Moab. I had to sign about 8 non disclosure forms to touch it, then fill out page after page of critique and review forms after the two day test.

Being last to market they incorporated or corrected most of the things the other SxS's were lacking or tried and failed at. After owning a Rhino, Ranger, RZR and riding with everything else on the market I've seen all of their shortcomings.

The air intake and routing is far superior to anything on the market. Their ROPS is by far the safest standard issue system available in any SxS. The motor kills anything else in the market as well. The seats are a bit stiff but easy to stay in for two solid days of riding. They have a much better parking Brake System than either Yamaha or Polaris, and even seemed to correct the stiffness I've experienced with my Outlander. There are so many small things they did to refine the product it was amazing. Then again, when you sit on the sidelines and see what everyone else does you have the advantage of learning by others mistakes.

A)I love the motor. They didn't bring an 800, just two 1000's. Incredible performance, from low end to top it is awesome, . Get In and Hang On :shock: It performs like a 400 lb sled with 150 HP. With that said I expect to see belt problems from the start. I "believe" I damaged one the first day. I could feel the spot when the clutch engaged, I mentioned it to the project manager and by the next morning the problem was gone. Next day it happened again after doing some slow technical crawling. And if there's any doubt about CanAm wanting to be on top..........I asked how big was too big for a SxS motor, I was told that this was their initial offering and Rotax would make them whatever they wanted, he said that with a big smile, almost like he was taunting Arctic Cat

B)The engine braking is incredible! Really, you could drive this thing without touching the brakes. I drove down into Hells Gate and never touched the brake pedal. Ken has been down that so he knows how steep it is. Amazing that a 1200 lb vehicle with two adults could crawl down that without any brake at all. Huge Advantage over everyone else. I wonder though if this kind of stress isn't what damaged the belt or at least assisted it along

C)I don't care for the computerized throttle. Difficult to get a feel for input and modulate on slow technical stuff. This is the same system Toyota uses in their vehicles. Note the big red button on the dash, that the "O Shit" button they had just in case something happened. You wont see that in the production units.

D)I don't care for the computerized throttle 2, on numerous steep nearly vertical climbs it shut down, the engine RPM would suddenly drop but not stall. They have some sort of safety built in that causes it. Not sure if it's related to a switch in the fuel tank like modern EFI vehicles have for rollovers, or an oil trip like Honda has in generators and other gas engines. I found this out after climbing through Hells Gate 3 times and attacked Mickey's Hot Tub. 1/2 way up the engine went limp and I was sure I was going to be the testing the cage at the bottom. The French speaking Canadian sitting next to me started screaming shit I couldn't understand. All I know was it must have been funny, because when the dust settled and I looked up out of the tub the rest of the CanAm guys were laughing so hard they were crying.

E)I hate the Visco-Lock system, Unpredictable at best. Pair that with the Vertical Limp Mode and you know why I have RZR's

F)Suspension is far better than Yamaha, Kawasaki, and the base RZR. I think the RZR "S" is still a much better riding machine, however the CanAm is more stable at speeds above 40 MPH. My RZR S dances all over the road above 40 MPH, it's drivable but I'm always chasing it with the steering wheel. The prototype units had quick ratio steering, so at high speed it was extremely predictable and comfortable. At slow speed it was like driving a dump truck, hard to steer and by the end of the day I was tired. I believe they changed the steering ratio in the production units, but not sure.

G)The Key System is pretty cool, I know as a parent I'd feel better letting my kids drive it with the Gray. Once someone gets their hands on the "Black" key they'll never want to touch the Green or Gray one again

Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kodiak » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:06 pm

wow Larry thanks for the write up.
is there any after market normal locker replacement for the viscolok??
after seeing the renegade on fordyce i seriously think that machine is impressive but the visco lock only started to work after he had lost all momentum which you know is often too late in rock crawling. but at high speed i wouldn't want my front diff locked.

this is why i went with the yamaha selectable front locker
but i agree the MOTOR sounds awesome.
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Nice write up Larry.

And yes...the descent control must be impressive for that hill.

I drove Dan's RZR S...and was extremely impressed....and I love the Polaris locker.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:12 am

why of course im can-am bias (09x renegade), i can still say never never ever buy any thing the first year...

that said thank you for posting this been waiting for some "honest" reviews and your review mirrors what i would have thought when i heard they where making one. I admit i over looked the razors since i had driven around in a ranger and thought the engine tuning / gearing was garbage on the ranger. Ive since seen razors at the sand dunes and out there they where doing things all other SxS couldn't even attempt. Im still holding out on the razors 4x4 capability since ive never seen it but all 2cnd / 3rd info ive seen claims it to be great. I don’t know if you guys know of the "polaris 2 step" but all i can say is on the ranger ive driven it was wild and crazy on some simple "step" hills and if the razor hasn’t fixed that yet id look at this commander since i know from my sport utility quad that the engine braking has no equal or so i think with the rotax engines.
09 can-am renegade

ontherks
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby ontherks » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:53 am

whats the "2 step" MrGreen?
'14 XP4 1k

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:19 am

ontherks wrote:whats the "2 step" MrGreen?
Yeah...what's that?

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:30 pm

on the rangers and maybe others unsure, if you take your foot of the gas it puts the engine in a neutral state so you free roll. So hence on a really step hill you have to keep one foot barely on the gas so the engine brake works and the other foot on the brake knowen as the polaris 2 step.
09 can-am renegade