Wolverine - old name, new machine!

Scary animals...Rhinos and Wolverines.

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Wolverine - old name, new machine!

Postby hemingray » Fri May 20, 2016 1:41 pm

I really looked closely at the Polaris General and the Kawi Teryx, but the Wolverine felt like the perfect ride for me. I like it for its design for the recreational trail and road rider (err, driver?) in mind. My Grizzly is still around for exploring, but for riding and bringing someone along, the Wolverine is terrific! I love the open feeling from the low doors. The handling is excellent but it's been interesting to learn how to trust it more because you can't stand up and lean (which is part of the fun on a quad). The wider stance and lower center of gravity contribute a lot to feeling confident in the ride. The power steering has a great feel - not too much "power" but not too much effort either. It feels very natural. The fully adjustable KYB long-stroke nitrogen gas-charged piggyback shocks provide a great ride feel in stock settings - it soaks up bumps nicely. It's a much nicer ride than the Grizzly, but doesn't compromise on resisting bottoming out either.

The SE model brings a special trim color, some accessories like overfenders, and overmolded steering wheel and beadlockers, and the best part - full armor. So far I've added the Warn ProVantage winch, Seizmik Pursuit side mirrors, the cargo box and some LED lights to use as DRLs on those busy roads when I want to be seen.

I actually remember seeing a web page last summer with the Wolverine on it and thinking "wow, hold the phone! This is a SxS that could really work for us!" Can't wait to get it out on my favorite roads as soon as the weather gets better.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ben10
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Re: Wolverine - old name, new machine!

Postby Ben10 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:25 pm

I'm looking at possibly picking one up this summer. I really shouldn't but I want one and it's something my significant other and I can do together. I have a few questions. First, anything you don't like or have any problems? And second, what speed does it like to cruise at? My quad does almost 40 but cruises at around 25. I want something that will cruise in the upper 30s so going down long dirt roads don't take so long.

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:45 pm

It's a lot smoother ride than the quad, mostly because it weighs more. I really like the suspension too. You are talking exactly the reason we got one - used to have two quads but we never rode together because of the dust. Now we can. It doesn't replace the quad, it's wider and has a different fun-factor - I still like the more bike-like style of the quad.

It does great at 25-30, it seems to like to sit in that range. Top end (reasonably) is about 50. I love the low doors - I am not a crawler or a speed demon and this thing is perfect for touring - which is what I am all about.

No issues so far, and there isn't much not to like with mine. I have the SE as you see, and it's got the full armor and I think that increases the noise factor - reverberations from the engine and everything you run over clangs on the big bottom plates. But that's minor.

The Bighorn 2.0 tires are a nice upgrade from the former Dunlop cheapies that my Grizzly came with, but they are just 2-ply in the front and 4-ply in the back - regular Bighorns are 6-ply. Looking at the Sedona Ripsaws as a replacement.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ben10

Postby Ben10 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:50 am

Alright all good to know. Anything you would change?

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:13 am

Maybe ground clearance. It's very good for a stock machine but the additional wheelbase over the quad shows. Still, it does fine on most all the roads I've been on so far with the occasional drag over a waterbar.

One thing to know is that wihile the 708cc motor will get this thing around quite well, the 686cc Grizzly feels a lot faster. If you like quad acceleration, you may want something more peppy. I test drove the Kawi Teryx but just didn't like the feel. It's a very competent machine, but it felt like a truck. The Polaris General was pretty cool, and was my 2nd favorite and the motor is a scorcher with huge acceleration. But for me, the Wolverine's goal of being a recreation trail rider (and my like of Yamaha) made it a done deal. As much as I would love to have more power, the features of the Wolverine made it the right choice for me.

BTW, the new Yamaha YXZ1000R is freakin' amazing. Wrong machine for cruising the Sierra but what a hoot it would be in the wide open spaces. The cockpit is amazing.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ben10

Postby Ben10 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:57 am

Yeah I'm looking for something more utilitarian not super fast. I also like the fact that the wolverine has better low end torque than most and the price point is right. I have seen lift kits for these as well. I want to be able to take it to the rubicon or run up signal peak and stuff like that. I'm not worried about doing high speed desert stuff.

Ben10

Postby Ben10 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:56 am

Well I got a pretty decent size down payment together for a machine. Just have to go in and talk to the dealers. I have officially narrowed it down to either a wolverine or a honda pioneer 500 or 700. The 500 looks like a blast and almost a hybrid between a sxs and a quad.

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:58 pm

A few thoughts. They seem to be pretty different machines - the Wolverine is 708cc, whereas the Pioneer 700 is 675cc and the small one is only 475cc. The transmissions are electric shift vs. the CVT in the Yamaha. I'm not a fan of the net thing on the door in the Honda, I like the side thing that holds you in the seat in the Yamaha. I get out a lot for pix, so the net would be a pain. Probably not a big deal, but the Wolverine has a top standard. I wasn't sure if I'd like that, but I do now! I really think the Wolverine is optimized for the trail, where the Honda's seem to lean towards utility.

The Pioneer 550's 50" width is kinda cool - would be very handy in Utah allowing a SxS on the many restricted trails there.

Good luck on your decision!

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ben10

Postby Ben10 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:43 pm

Yeah the net thing is weird but removable, so no big deal. I know the 500 is small but it fits in a truck bed which is nice and it's light. Fitting down tight trails would be cool and most people say it has plenty of power. I'm coming off a foreman 450 that had plenty and this motor is more refined. Manual 5 speed is cool with paddle shifters too although cvt has less to go wrong. The 700 has a regular tranny with torque converter and drive shafts which is probably really stout. I hear it people say there is something to be desired in the suspension which makes me lean towards yamaha. Looking and feeling both of them the honda is a lot more refined and the fit and finish is nicer. Doors and such. Roof only comes standard on the special edition wolverine. It's an extra 400 on a standard or r spec. I'm going to take my girlfriend tomorrow and look at them and see what we think.

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:28 am

So, I found out the net moves with the door - clever! The only other thing I would think about is the stability - one thing I do like about the Wolverine is the wide stance and lower center of gravity. I HATE feeling tippy on the quad and it's one thing I like about the Wolverine. Watching some of the vids on the Honda show it as doing pretty well though. I would have to agree, it's a hybrid and fills a certain need.

I know you're looking for SxS, but have you seen the Polaris Ace? That thing looks like it would be a hoot to drive, talk about a hybrid! Only one person, but it's kind of like a little fighter plane.

If you get the Honda, Ken will have to create another section here!

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ben10

Postby Ben10 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:54 pm

If I could afford 2 aces I would be all over it.the big thing right now is my girlfriend likes to ride along with me and my foreman wasn't meant for 2 up. That's the drawback of the 500. It looks tippy for sure but I need to get behind the wheel and try it out. I really do like the wolverine, just need to check everything out one more time. It's a big investment. Too bad everything is closed today! Not a single yamaha or honda dealership open!

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:55 pm

I gotta say, I am totally impressed now. Went riding around Cottonwood Road and Bear Valley OHV over the weekend and had a blast. But what I was impressed with is the competency with which this thing controls and climbs. I got onto one of the trails - Grizzly Guy introduced me to a little bit of this area a couple of years ago, but only one of the trails - and it just got more fun - until I was confronted with rocks on a little steep spot. I am petrified of pitching backwards - too many YouTube vids I think. I feel like the Wolverine should be very good though, so I carefully picked my line and made it through, only slightly sweating profusely. Kept on going up (you have the feeling it's one-way, since the carsonite markers only face one direction and it's only wide enough in many spots for a stock jeep or SxS) and came to an off-camber section (another hate - the Grizzly always feels to me it's going to turn sideways), but again I trusted the wide stance of the Wolverine. Finish that and turn a corner - to see an oh-sh*t hill! OK, stop panicking, shut off and walk it. It's not huge, but to me it's fear factor one. OK, walked it, have a line, let's go - lots of people do this, it's not a Rubicon or Fordyce or Snake Lake. Start it up, look for my line, low range, diff locked, let's go. Crawl up at a nice comfortable speed, sh*t a brick when a rock kicks the front end up 8 inches but finally make the top. Whew! Pull off the trail, under a tree where me and the engine cool off for a bit.

I really like the feeling of competency in going up. I feel like I can trust the thing to not do a bad thing like roll, or pitch backward. The throttle is smooth and controls well at the low speed., but always with enough power and no surging with too much power applied. It was quite awesome. My adrenaline and fear factor were through the roof, but the machine pulled it off. Ditto for some steep downgrades - low range, minimal brake, little sliding.

The thing is totally made for the recreational rider - there's no doubt. It's frikken awesome for me, the perfect machine.

Yeah, not a big hill, but it looked bigger from the bottom! :-)

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~