Front Diff Locker

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

hostdave
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Front Diff Locker

Postby hostdave » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:45 am

In the June 06 Dirt Wheels 'Dialed In' section a guy askes about a front diff lock. In DW's opinion this should be a relatively easy electrical/switch modification. Has anyone done or heard of this mod? If not lets get on it. I dig my quad but the lack of diff lock is my biggest dissappointment. Diff lock would be great for downhill braking and for rock crawling and log crossing. It's too bad the front locks in after the rears spin. Quite often when the fronts are against a log or rock it can be dangerous to try spin the rears to lock the front. Call all your electrically inclined buddies and lets figure this out. Keep each other informed with posts. Thanks, Tread Lightly and Ride On.
04.5 Sportsman 700 EFI, Custom Nerf Bars, 3 Light Kit, Front Spring Spacers, 2500 Warn Winch, Rack Extensions, Front & Rear Bumpers
05 Kodiak 450, Warn 2500 Winch, Rear Bumper
98 Dodge Cummins 12 Valve 1 Ton Dually Powered Up
Beautiful & Sexy Wife

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:53 am

You can lock up the front.
Put in rev. push over ride button. give it gas just enough to spin the back wheels. Grab the brake. Shift in to low or high and your fronts will be locked in intill you bring the load off the front end.
Try this some time. The steering is very hard.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:31 am

Bill's right...you can do it manually going in reverse...There is a MOD you can do, to override the yellow button (it's always on). Jack has done it...

Even extreme Rock crawling...I've never had it not turn on when I wanted...going forward that is.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:35 am

Here you go....just a little search turned it up.

viewtopic.php?t=52
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

hostdave

Postby hostdave » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:38 pm

OK. I read the article you referenced. It appears to bypass the override button only, making it unnecessary to hold the button for reverse acceleration. I guess I still have some questions. First off does the override button only control the speed or does it also lock the front when reversing and not in AWD mode? Second, if you can fool the front end into locking up by spinning the tires in reverse and then going forward why can't you do this with a switch. Here is how I'd like it to work; Turn on AWD and the system functions normally. With AWD on come to a log or rock, flip a switch (locker) and get the front locked. Cross the obstacle and turn off the switch (locker) and the system goes back to AWD normal function, with AWD off locker will not work. I have not seen a wiring diagram (couldn't figure it out even if I did) but the DW article seems to think that is the way to do it. The switch would power the sensor that reads the wheel spin fooling the sensor and locking the front. Once the switch is turned off the sensor would read no spin and unlock. Sounds too simple.
04.5 Sportsman 700 EFI, Custom Nerf Bars, 3 Light Kit, Front Spring Spacers, 2500 Warn Winch, Rack Extensions, Front & Rear Bumpers
Beautiful & Sexy Wife

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:47 pm

Ok let me try.
Override button kit stops the speed limit in rev.
The front end locks in with rollers that roll in place when the input (on front diff.) is going more than the out put axels (on front end).
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:43 pm

hostdave wrote:OK. I read the article you referenced. It appears to bypass the override button only, making it unnecessary to hold the button for reverse acceleration.

The override ONLY makes it so you do NOT have to press the override. Perform the mod, and it's as if the yellow button is pressed permanently.

hostdave wrote: First off does the override button only control the speed or does it also lock the front when reversing and not in AWD mode?
Function: When in reverse ONLY, if you press the Yellow button you now are forcing the ATV into Fully Locking 4WD and you overriding the safety governer.

The yellow button is really three things....1) turns on 4WD 2) safety feature. 3) In LOW OR HIGH, it toggles through the POD view

If you perform the MOD, you have to be EXTREMELY careful, as you WILL fly over the handle bars if you hit the gas too hard in Reverse.

hostdave wrote:Second, if you can fool the front end into locking up by spinning the tires in reverse and then going forward why can't you do this with a switch.
You probably could, I haven't heard of anyone being able to do it.

hostdave wrote:Here is how I'd like it to work; Turn on AWD and the system functions normally. With AWD on come to a log or rock, flip a switch (locker) and get the front locked. Cross the obstacle and turn off the switch (locker) and the system goes back to AWD normal function, with AWD off locker will not work. I have not seen a wiring diagram (couldn't figure it out even if I did) but the DW article seems to think that is the way to do it. The switch would power the sensor that reads the wheel spin fooling the sensor and locking the front. Once the switch is turned off the sensor would read no spin and unlock. Sounds too simple.

There are Quads that work that way...There are advantages and disadvantages of this functionality. It's NOT nirvana. How do I know this? From Jeeping with ARB Air Lockers....same principle as what you're trying to get.

The advantage is, you control when it locks. So if it's super nasty....you know it's on.

The downside....You will get "stuck" more, because turning full locking on means steering is difficult. So you tend not to turn it on until you need it....and usually when you need it...it's too late. You can't engage moving...you have to be stopped.

The advantage of how it currently works...is the system locks instantly when required and the ATV maintains momentum, which helps get you out.

Personally?? I've never had any grips...the key is HAVE the AWD switch on....do not turn it on when you're getting stuck...you'll break it. I turn off the AWD when I want to slide in turns (trail riding).

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

hostdave

Postby hostdave » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:49 am

I've been riding quads since the early 80's and have had many brands but this is the first polaris. I've only put 100+ miles on it so I guess I'll ride it more to see if it becomes a real problem. My ultimate goal is to have the AWD function as it should with the ability to momentarily lock and unlock the front similarily to a yami diff lock. I'm going to get the wiring diagram and get a brain to look it over and see if this is achievable. Thanks for the input and I'll keep you informed.
Beautiful & Sexy Wife