Polaris Reverse Limiter and AWD lock-out Bypass

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:44 pm

You just need to check the diodes watt or amp rating.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

FloodRunner
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby FloodRunner » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:03 am

If you’re getting by with those small diodes from RS your experience is far different than mine. I tried those a couple times. After one failed from the load (got too hot) and reading a thread about burnt wiring from diode installation I didn’t what to chance it. I can’t say what you’re using but I had RS check their online catalog and get me the highest load rated diodes they sold.

Since then I’ve researched this quite a bit. The diodes Quadovator uses are “lollypop” shaped metal construction with a body about the size of a pencil eraser (a bit larger). They are designed to be press-fit into automotive alternators as part of a high amperage output system but modified with soldered on wires for our application. They’re load rated for far more than our machine’s require and run nice and cool. I even have this kit in my Ranger where it effectively is a “4 Headlight Mod” with no failures. Hat’s off to you if you can do it cheaper. For the relatively small price I’ll stick with what I know works safely.
'05 Camo 700 EFI
Coolant Temp Gauge in Pod
Reverse Override Locker
(yellow button beeps a horn)
Quadovator.com 3 Headlight Mod
Work Lights to BACK-UP LIGHTS conversion
Quadovator Spare Fuel Tank
Manual Fan Switch and Fan-On Indicator Light

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BearCat » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:58 am

OK fLood I understand what you are saying but what I'm asking is..How many amps are the Quadovator Diodes rated for??? If you have researched this quite abit I'm sure you can answer this question. Plus, how many amps/watts whatever, are generated with the Polaris 3-light set up?? You must have come across this with your research and now feel safe that the Quadovator setup is enough??

This machine is a sport and a hobby for me Flood, I enjoy every aspect of it from riding to wrenching. I see alot of aftermarket parts that people have made and sell over the net and my hats off to them but if I can do it myself I will...not to save the money but so I know the machine.Knowing the machine keeps it out of the dealer's $$$ shop and may help someone right here with a problem.

So if ya know the ratings...enlighten us. Thats what these forums are for to share information with other like minded individuals.

BC
Polaris' don't leak oil...They Mark Territory!
[img]http://www.execulink.com/~jesten/header.jpg[/img]

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:19 am

"How many amps are the Quadovator Diodes rated for???"
BC you just need to add up all your lights.
On my 04 the two up front are 35 watts each and the pod is 50 watts.
I would get a 120 watt or better. watt over volts gives you amps.
I would look for a 10 amp or larger for the sportsman 2004 model.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

FloodRunner
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby FloodRunner » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:03 pm

Well said BC. I share your passion for “gettin’ under the hood.” The more we know about these machines the less likely we’ll have to walk home from a malfunction on the trail. I can’t imagine having to run to the dealer every time something needs doing. And if you’re that unfamiliar with the machine you probably won’t know something needs attention until it breaks and leaves you stranded. That’s a sign I won’t wear.

That said, I wish I could offer a straight answer to your question. Bill is on the right track. You see I’ve been using the Quadovator kits in my machines since ’98 or ’99, a good six years before they were ever available on the web. My “research” is that old too and my memory isn’t good enough to give you real numbers. The formula to figure it all out is simple enough but if you don’t use it every once in a while it doesn’t stick in the mind (mine anyway).
'05 Camo 700 EFI
Coolant Temp Gauge in Pod
Reverse Override Locker
(yellow button beeps a horn)
Quadovator.com 3 Headlight Mod
Work Lights to BACK-UP LIGHTS conversion
Quadovator Spare Fuel Tank
Manual Fan Switch and Fan-On Indicator Light