2002 Sportsman Rear End Rebuild

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Ken
Site Admin

2002 Sportsman Rear End Rebuild

Postby Ken » Mon May 21, 2007 7:35 am

Well....Kendo and I spent pretty much all day, rebuilding the Yellow Beast. It turned into something more complex and larger than we thought. I have pictures....you will be blown away.

The bottom brackets that hold the lower A-Arm to the frame? 2 of them (the rear on each side) GONE

The top support coming down for the upper A-Arm? One completely ripped off the frame...the other cracked.

The long tube inside the lower A-Arm....Bent.

I ordered all new bushings and most bolts....$250.

How it was all staying together...is beyond me. Clearly....one cracked....and they all started going after that. I will post photos so that you all can CHECK these areas.....you definitely want to keep on it to avoid extreme repairs.

Despite all the work....at least Kendo and I had a fun day....Kendo WINS for bad ass garage.

(Hey Kendo...Don't forget the Jerky on the table.....it's yours)
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Mon May 21, 2007 1:30 pm

Yeah, I gotta say, that thing was tore up!! Because of one problem, it led to probably 5 or 6 others. Like Ken said, something to keep an eye on, especially for those of you that rock crawl. I think with the new welds and gussets, it's not going anywhere for a long time.

I just hope we can remember where all those bolts go. :shock:

Thanks for the reminder on the jerky, I probably would have found it a month from now. LOL
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Mon May 21, 2007 5:11 pm

I can't believe you sold that bike to your freind Ken.. Usally you sell it far from home so they can't come back at you..lol And i thought my Sp 700 was hammered..lol
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Keith Strong
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Keith Strong » Mon May 21, 2007 10:10 pm

PICS!!!!
07 Suzuki BlingQuad

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon May 21, 2007 10:11 pm

All I can say is....WATCH YOUR QUAD....stay on top of cracks...before they end up like this....Go to the Photo page for all the pictures....

The HAPPIEST PLACE ON EARTH.....it ain't F'ing Disneyland...it's KENDO's garage.

I'd say that support arm is broken...

What a mess...the bottom and top (note the odd angle) are a wreck.

The repairs begin...

We can rebuild it....Better.....Stronger.....Faster....

After the better part of a day......We STILL haven't gotten to the original bottom bracket that started it all.

Part II to follow when repairs resume...
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Tue May 22, 2007 9:45 am

LMFAO... I can't believe the cracks in that frame. You Should talk with Poo About becoming a durability tester..lol
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.