Front A arms

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

GPER
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Front A arms

Postby GPER » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:26 pm

So I look at the diagram of the front suspension and the A arm looks like it is held in by two bolts. So I assume the A arm is threaded for the bolts to screw into. So I hit the bolts on the A arm with the impact gun to take them out so I can fix the bracket and they just spin. So are they stripped or am I missing the threaded other end somewhere???????

I'll ask tonight and get a better look at it in the morning.

GPER

Postby GPER » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:37 pm

I looked at the diagram again and saw the tube that the bolts thread into. So I got one bolt out, but how in the world do you hold the tube to get the second bolt out?????????

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:45 pm

Put the other bolt back in and tighten the hell out of it. Then loosen the other bolt but don't take it out. Once you break the loctite on both bolts then you can take them out.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:26 pm

Chadd wrote:Put the other bolt back in and tighten the hell out of it. Then loosen the other bolt but don't take it out. Once you break the loctite on both bolts then you can take them out.
Chadd has a large brain :lol:
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

GPER

Postby GPER » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:31 pm

I like the way polaris says to take them out a third at a time :roll: I broke one loose then did the tightening thing again with it to break the other one. No luck on that one so I took the loose bolt out and installed a new longer bolt with a jam nut on it. Finally got the front A arm bolt out and it fought all the way out. Looks like I need to clean the threads out on that one.

You folks probably think I'm nuts rambling on about this thing, the manual says just to pull the fill plugs on things to check them :-k The mid axle is pain to get to #-o ](*,) I'm glad the trany has a dip stick :mrgreen: Now I know why the fifty motorcycle shops in town don't service Polaris, just the out of town shops.

Thanks for understanding.

GPER

Postby GPER » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:34 pm

Here is part of the problem, the holes are worn.
So I made these plates to go over the worn brackets.
[/img]Image
I know my welding sucks, but they have stuck so far.
Maybe this will help someone in the future with this problem since it can be fixed.
Now I need a tie rod end.[/img]

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:41 pm

What's that orangy brown stuff on the A arms??

Is that the thing called rust I have heard so much about?? :lol:

We Kalifornians often don't think about what it is to live in the "rust belt".

Looks like you're making good progress. Wouldn't be the first time a Poo has been welded on, at the frame, where an A arm attaches. Right Ken??
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:02 pm

Nope!
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

GPER

Postby GPER » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:16 am

Rub the rust thing in and it is 34 degrees this morning, I hate cold weather. I need to get the body and cage back on this thing. Then that will just leave fixing the cage and building a snow plow.