shock settings

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

shock settings

Postby Thrasher » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:01 pm

how soft/tight do ya'll keep yer shock settings?

mine are set to the softest, but now that i have the fuel rack and back seat/box, i need to tighten em up. sits a little low. ever do that? is it tough?
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:27 pm

Never moved 'em. Whatever the factor is...that's it.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:24 am

DO they have settings you can change without disassembly?
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:10 am

yeah, just gotta pop off the tire, but I don't have the tool to do it, someone said use a big pipe wrench or something and that shouldwork..

at the bottom of the shock is like a metal/chrome/steel ring, u gotta jack up the quad to take pressure off the springs and then u can tighten them up....i've just never done it.
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:23 am

pipe wrench..... don't like that idea. Can you say.... "stripped". Might be worth buying the wrench... or tool.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Lizard
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Lizard » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:32 am

You jack it up to take some of the pressure of the spring, remove the tire for better access, get a large (14")pair of Channellocks or a pipe wrench, get the wrench good and tight and turn accordingly. I've done it to several quads and have never mucked anything up. Some quads don't even need the the tire and wheel removed.

You can buy the spanner for probably fifteen bucks, but that's beer money to me.

Lizard
Rincon that's dialed in.

Lizard
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Lizard » Sat Dec 11, 2004 9:35 am

Or you can buy a Rincon that is so perfectly set at the factory, that you never need to adjust them. :wink:
Rincon that's dialed in.

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:25 am

Or you can buy a Rincon that is so perfectly set at the factory, that you never need to adjust them.
Now that "WAS" funny....

jack whelen
ATV Obsession Rider

shock settings

Postby jack whelen » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:01 pm

Dont use a pipe wrench on the adjusters if you dont have to buy the spanner wrench . I tried with a pipe wrench and guess what my luck cracked one. http://www.bigbuckatvproducts.com/polar ... _tools.htm
Montana Jack
[i]"If it ain't broke don't try to fix it."[/i]