Polaris X2 Fuel Pump/Computer Problem

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

NevadaBob
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby NevadaBob » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:38 pm

A bad ground would mean the circuit wouldn't be complete and no voltage would get through. Then when the ground reconnects the circuit works. So are you saying, that when the circuit reconnects that somehow too much voltage is in that initial restart of the circuit? Why wouldn't the voltage regulator prevent a sudden surge in the voltage?
I do think you are onto something.

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:14 pm

I wouldn't necessarily think it's BOTH, but most likely one or the other.

If the components are being burned out then it is most likely the bad voltage regulator. If it were just an intermittent problem and no component failure, then you would experience the work - no work situation.

That being said, it COULD be both. The ground would cause the intermittent problem and the bad regulator would cause premature failure of your components. Combined, it would be enough to drive any mechanic crazy.

I supposed a bad ground could cause a regulator to go bad as well, but it may also just be a coincidence.

Sounds like you have your hands full with a few hours or more of troubleshooting.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:57 pm

You know.....

Try checking all the fuses. Kendo's post gave me an idea. A few years ago, one of my Sportsmans experienced a similar problem. The POD and headlights would come on.....then off.....then come on. When it would happen, the AWD wouldn't work.

It turned out to be a fuse in the front that was rusted and shorting out...so it would come on.....short...reset and come back on.

Just a thought.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Wildhorse800
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby Wildhorse800 » Thu May 07, 2009 11:31 pm

Posting to kick this back up.
Did we ever figure this thing out?

I can't believe a fuel pump, well, pumps...that last years and miles in a car goes out this often.

Problem here has to be electrical. Sounds like the dealer is using the spaghetti against the wall theory....see what sticks.
My friends 800 had been in for similar issues. It was fixed with new CDI unit(supposedley),stator and battery. That night the quad caught on fire while just sitting in his shed. He was lucky enough to have the time to push it out and down a hill to where it burnt to a crisp.(Polaris bought it and gave him $5000 towards a new one)

I would use a simple test light and make sure power is getting to the pump when it is not working.

Said it before and I'll say it again...I HATE ELECTRICAL!!! :evil:
2008 Polaris SP800 HO
1999 Polaris SP500
2008 Suzuki M-50
1988 Honda VLX 600

I've been told I joke around too much.
So one day I tried being serious.
Everybody laughed!