2003 Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

CuriousG
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby CuriousG » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:52 am

Can someone explain to me the meaning of the hourglass looking symbol on the POD? What do the various symbols mean. Because the hourglass one is always on and I am wondering if that is for the fan or what?

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:10 pm

The hourglass is your hour meter. Push the yellow button on the left handlebar and you change the function on the pod. On the '03 I think you have trip, odometer and hours.
'15 Can Am Maverick XRS DPS

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:25 pm

GrizzlyGuy wrote:You can buy a service manual for the 2004 model here:

http://www.repairmanual.com/motorcycles/2004/54/0/15219
:-$ I sent what he needs for now...
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

CuriousG

Postby CuriousG » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:38 pm

Ok here is where I am. I bypassed the fan temp. switch and rerouted it to go on and off with the ignition until I can get the replacement part. So that is a relief to know my fan is ok. However today on a short mellow ride, my reverse started to act up. When going in reverse and keeping a steady throttle (slow) it was in and out. It was like I was revving then letting up. Over and over. It was strange. Anyone else seen or heard of this when in reverse?

On a side note. I have to admit i have been slightly taken back by the 'looseness' of the quad compared to other quads I have had. The other quads were Yamaha and this one is Polaris but it seems looser over all than a Yammy of the same year. I really dont understand the whole POD aspect of the Polaris because it just rattles apart really rather simply.

I am interested in hearing others thoughts on this because I am still contemplating selling the quad I just bought last week (2003 Polaris Sportsman 700) and buying something possibly in the Yamaha brand.

PS: also, is it just me or isnt the 700 suppose to have a lot of balls to it or is it just low range power because to be honest I swear my 450 Kodiak had more power on the stretches than this 700.

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Your reverse is governed, in order to get full power push the yellow button on the left handlebar and hold. Be careful though, it's got enough power to toss you over the front if you hammer the throttle.

CuriousG

Postby CuriousG » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:22 pm

Guys, guys guys...

I have to say it. This forum and the help of the many loyal users here has me convinced that this forum is the best asset I could have come across since buying this quad and well in to the future.

The help you guys have given me is invaluable and the more time I spend with this quad the more i like it. I need to give it more time before making a brash decision on flipping it after just buying it. So thanks to the guy who sent me the manual, the guy who told me about reverse limiter and the others who offered their input. It's greatly appreciated.

I currently have one remaining issue that I would like to figure out and that is the fact that my speedo isnt working. Along with the speedo not working neither is the odometer and trip meter. The hours works fine however the other two options dont. My main concern is, does my 4x4 operate even though the speedo isnt functioning? I ask this because I think I read somewhere on the net that it wont work without the speedo functioning.

Here are a couple shots from today taken from a mountain top building site overlooking the South Pacific and community of Dominical, Costa Rica.

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Glad we could help you out! Nice pics!!

As far as your speedo problem, is the needle stuck at a particular speed? If so, you may have to accelerate beyond that point to 'unstick' it. If not and it just isn't moving, it has to be either the wheel sensor or the speedo itself. If the odometer isn't working, I would check the wheel sensor first.

I wouldn't worry too much about the AWD not functioning because of the speedo problem. They are two completely seperate circuits and do not rely on one another to function.

I have an electronic version of the manual, but it's 120 MB. If you have an FTP or something, I could shoot it to you that way.

Kendo
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Kendo » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Oh and as far as your other questions, the Polaris is much heavier than any of the Japanese bikes. IMHO that's what makes them ride so much better than any of the others I have been on. Yeah, it comes at a price, namely not as quick and fuel mileage, but I like having the extra heft.

You may want to spend a day just going thru the basics - change the plugs, change the air filter (consider an upgrade to a Uni or K&N), clean the carburator out and possibly even look at a DynoJet kit. Polaris jetted these things incredibly rich and if you're experiencing fouled plugs, then the DynoJet will clear that up. Lastly, depending on how many miles/hours on the bike, you may want to check the belt and replace that.

You cannot beat the Polaris AWD system - period. No other ATV has the instant engagement that Polaris has. I think once you get some of your other issues worked out and give the bike a good once over, you're gonna love it.

CuriousG

Postby CuriousG » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:09 pm

Where is the Polaris made? Any more tricks you can tell me about the Sportsman 700? Is the press and hold switch trick only used for reverse or anything else?

CuriousG

Postby CuriousG » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:09 pm

I do have FTP access however if you have then you could just upload it and give me the whereabouts to download it?

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:27 am

CuriousG wrote:Where is the Polaris made? Any more tricks you can tell me about the Sportsman 700? Is the press and hold switch trick only used for reverse or anything else?
Polaris is made in the USA.

Check the sticky in this forum....it's pictures from my Dynajet kit install on my 2002 Sportsman. The Dynajet was the SINGLE best thing to do for performance...especially if you go anything over 1500 above sea level.

The yellow button when in any position other than Rev...will cycle through the POD functions...miles, hours, trip meter. To reset the trip meter, press and HOLD the yellow button until it reads 0.0.

When in REV the yellow button will LOCK all 4 wheels and remove the limiter. This is COMMON MISTAKE!! You'll try to back up, and spin the rear wheels...and go no where up a hill or in mud. Stop, return to idle...press and hold the yellow button...now carefully hit the gas (otherwise you WILL fly over the handle bars)...all 4 wheels will spin.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:31 am

CuriousG wrote:My main concern is, does my 4x4 operate even though the speedo isnt functioning? I ask this because I think I read somewhere on the net that it wont work without the speedo functioning.
Kendo is right...however, if the POD is cooked....AWD will not work. I know...it happened to my friend Terry. He cracked the plastic...water got in, while on snow ride...the POD started doing strange characters....suddenly, no 4WD. However...I really think it's the wheel sensor. The sensor is far more likely to go, than the POD.

You can test your 4WD easily....just jack it up....flip the switch...and watch all 4 wheels turn. If your front don't turn...then POD is problem toast.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

CuriousG

Postby CuriousG » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:47 am

Ok thanks I will begin troubleshooting my POD next. I still think however that the POD design is poor engineering because over time it becomes quite loose and rattles around like an orange on a toothpick.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:08 am

CuriousG wrote:Ok thanks I will begin troubleshooting my POD next. I still think however that the POD design is poor engineering because over time it becomes quite loose and rattles around like an orange on a toothpick.
Check all the screws...there's 3 that hold it in place. I have no such problem with it rattling around. Perhaps it was rolled??

The part I'm talking about for the "brains" is JUST the speedometer. Open the headlight pod, and unplug all the wires. It solidly installed into the pod. The only way to really troubleshoot it...is replace it. It's sealed...you definitely do not want to open the speedo. Maybe the wires plugging into it are loose?

It's WAY cheaper to replace the sensor....before replacing the speedo/pod/brains...it's about $200usd.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

jack whelen
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby jack whelen » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:58 am

You could probably bypass the wheel sensor with a jumper wire then spin the front right tire to see if needle moves @ speedo.
Montana Jack
[i]"If it ain't broke don't try to fix it."[/i]