Unknown short problem

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

popotim
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Unknown short problem

Postby popotim » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:30 pm

I have some unknown short problem in the 800 I can't figure out. When it is under a load and hot, I notice an intermittent loss of power and sputtering. It will quickly recover, but then do it again. When this is going on, the 4x4 indicator gauge goes off, and the check engine indicator goes on. I can't tell if the fan turning on has something to do with this, because I can't hear anything under full power. I did disconnect the cluster to the speedo, thinking it might be the gear position indicator switch on the transmission thinking maybe the reverse speed limiter which also kills the 4x4 was coming on. This didn't seem to matter, but obviously I could no longer see in speedo indicator lights, but it did still sputtered. It only seems to do this when it's hot and under a load. I ran the diognostic, and got no error codes. Anybody got any ideas?
sp 08 800, Polaris 3500 winch, 26 in. Mudlite XTR's, ATV-Guru front bumper, Ricochet skid plate, Stickstopper A-arm protectors, Garmin 60Cx gps.

sp 04.5 500 H.O. 25 in. Mudlite XTR's Stickstoppers.

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Have you checked to see if your battery cables are tight. I had something like that happen to me once.
KI6MLH

Nuge
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby Nuge » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:29 pm

For what it's worth, I've had an intermittent problem with sputtering (like a 4-banger running on one cylinder) but only at high altitude and under load.
When it happens It is kinda hot, and under load from a steep climb. After turning it off, waiting 5 minutes and then turning it back on the problem goes away.
I can only assume it was something to do with the fuel injection, ecu, or sender that somehow got "reset" for the altitude.
Polaris has a TSB for this problem on the 500 EFI's...Bulletin Number: ATV-06-03 "2006 500 EFI Running Rich at High Altitude".

Might want to check if there are any TSB's for the problem.

popotim
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby popotim » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:51 pm

ATV er Thanks for the tip. Can't believe I didn't check that first. Took 4 full turns to tighten the positive terminal. Problem went away. So busy looking at the small stuff, I overlooked the obvious. Never touched the battery, so I assumed it was OK. Boy do I feel stupid. Thanks again. Tim
sp 08 800, Polaris 3500 winch, 26 in. Mudlite XTR's, ATV-Guru front bumper, Ricochet skid plate, Stickstopper A-arm protectors, Garmin 60Cx gps.

sp 04.5 500 H.O. 25 in. Mudlite XTR's Stickstoppers.

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:44 pm

That happened to me in tonopah two years ago. I was spudering all day and finally my atv died about 40+ miles from the car. Luckly Kendo told me to check my cables and problem solved.
KI6MLH