2007 SP 800 AWD WON"T Kick in?

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Stumppuller
Just opened an account at Cabelas

2007 SP 800 AWD WON"T Kick in?

Postby Stumppuller » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:30 pm

Well at 3200 miles now I seem to have my first NON warranty problem. Can someone tell me what this could be, I have stock tires and rims. Last weekend it felt like it would not disengage, even wen letting off the gas. put it in reverse and gave it a shot, and put it back in high and it seemed okay, today I went for a ride around home and put it in AWD to get through a ditch and all 4 wheels spun, then about 20 min. later had to put it back in AWD and it showed it was in on my pod, but only the 2 rear wheels will spin with NO front, could it be unplugged and if so how do you check and what do I do, I just changed the oil in the front end, didn't seem milky or anything. Could this have to do with the front plastic cage I read about on HL forums. I would assume it would be only the machines with those big tire kits, but maybe I"m wrong.

Any info would be great, thanks.
2007 Polaris 800 STEALTH LE (Mine)
Stainelss steal brushguard and rear bumper
handguards
Uni Air Filter
windshield for winter only

2006 Polaris 800 Green (Wife's)
Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:51 pm

I know the answer for part of the problem. When you put in Awd and go back to 2wd and it won't go in to 2wd. This is because the locker is magnetic. And the hillard gear becomes magnified and won't release unless you stop and put in park or reverse. This is actually quite common. This is fix able but can be expensive too. Your local polaris dealer do the repair.
KI6MLH

wellzy

Postby wellzy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:39 am

i had a similar problem with mine, i took the system apart cleaned it and put fresh fluid in and it works perfect now. but if that does not work then atv'er is prob right.
SPORTSMAN 850

Stumppuller

Postby Stumppuller » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:22 am

My problem is, it won't go into AWD, it shows its in, but only my back wheels will spin, all of a sudden.
I just changed the fluid in it yesterday, I don't get that it worked fine coming out of a ditch and 10 min. later in a field went back to AWD and only 2 rear wheels would spin.

THanks for the info.
handguards
Uni Air Filter

Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

wellzy

Postby wellzy » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:59 am

Stumppuller wrote:My problem is, it won't go into AWD, it shows its in, but only my back wheels will spin, all of a sudden.
I just changed the fluid in it yesterday, I don't get that it worked fine coming out of a ditch and 10 min. later in a field went back to AWD and only 2 rear wheels would spin.

THanks for the info.
yeh that was the same problem i had.
SPORTSMAN 850

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:34 pm

There are basically 4 things that need to work in order for your AWD to click on.

1) The switch. It should light up, when AWD is on

2) Your POD. Your POD is the brains of your quad. If it has a crack, leaked water or moisture...it won't work either.

3) Electrical. Either wire or fuse isn't working. I've had a fuse go....but my lights were also affected.

4) Magnets aren't working. Probably unlikely, since as Scott says...the usual problem is the magnets NOT disengaging.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Stumppuller

Postby Stumppuller » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:07 pm

I did have a problem the week before with it not disengaging, so I changed the fluid, thinking it maybe just that.

Well the other night I jacked it up with the 4 wheels in the air, and started the bike, put it in AWD, and gave it gas, well my front right wheel was turning, so was the front driveshaft, BUT I was able to stop the tire with my hand from spinning.

Does this sound like the cage, as if the front drive shaft turned.

Thanks
handguards
Uni Air Filter

Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Stumppuller

Postby Stumppuller » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:12 am

Well just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded. Turns out I had got water in the front diff, and the bearings seized, and I broke the basket in 2. What I don't get is I changed the oil 2 times in the front. Also the vents route to the same location for the transfercase, and rear end and Ihad no water in them. So it must of been a bad seal.
Anyhow its fixed now and I want to report that this was my first real problem at 3200 miles, and can't really blame the machine for water getting in rusting out the bearings.

Thanks
handguards
Uni Air Filter

Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Wildhorse800