Well that sucks!!!

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

ToddW
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Well that sucks!!!

Postby ToddW » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Well I just broke my belt on my Sportsman 800 for the second time.

1 mile into the snow, and bam it just let go. Last time it frayed, and I could hobble slowwwwly. This time it was sudden, and bam broke in half (so I believe).

When I got it replaced last time they said they were doing a heavy duty unit.. this time I`m going to learn to do it myself, and make sure it's the "heavy duty" unit.

Questions I have:

1. What is the best heavy-duty belt? I have seen Polaris Brand, Gator-Grip ones, and other branded belts. I don't care if it cost $400 I want the best damn belt money can buy for this.

2. What are common causes of this happening? The first time I can say it was probably from being in high way too much, and climbing stuff in high (sand/dirt) that probably should have been in low. Since I got the new belt last time I have made sure to keep it in low when climbing hills. I also have kept it in low when hauling my trailer of wood around my property. I wonder if hauling wood, and pulling out my wifes car with the Quad are causes? I would think no, since towing is less than 3 minutes total, and the yank-out should have broken a tooth ?? (Maybe the yank caused it to fracture, and broke later???) My other concern would be with the tracks I can tell for sure extra stress is being placed on the entire drivetrain, I`m wondering if I should ALWAYS be in low ?? What about jumping does landing/impact no good on the belt?? I`m not too sure what is bad for the belt since it's an automatic I don't know if there's any give on impact loads or if it's only 'burning' the belt up I need to worry about.

3. Anyone ever change a belt?? Something I could have done on the trail in the snow, myself?

I`m just glad this happened when I was with someone and not my last trip out alone 10 miles away on the backside of the mountain. That would have sucked to walk home, and wait for thaw to go back and get it
:shock:

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:11 am

Replace belt with a Honda.......

I know I am a ahole........... :wink:
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:01 am

Seems the polaris 800 belt is the best.

Changing the belt is easy. Do it one time and after that its no sweet.

Have the dealer check your clutch alignment. Thats probably the problem.
KI6MLH

ATV'er
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby ATV'er » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:04 am

I can do a belt in about 15 mins. I always carry a spare belt just in case one lets go. I had one break 50 miles outside of truckee once. A quick change and I was ready to go.
KI6MLH

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:43 am

Thanks for the info. Just talked to Polaris of Pville and they saidt he new 800 version of hte 800 belts are nicer. I`m going to have them check my alignment, and motor mounts too because I think something there may be tweaked.

This belt is a couple years old now, and he said plowing and tracks are considered heavy-usage.

After this repair I`ll learn to do it myself, carry a spare,!!

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:54 pm

Yes! Carry a spare. The new belts aren't cheap..I just bought one...$130.

The most common reason for breaking is what Scott said...1) Out of alignment 2) Broken motor mounts.

The front is EASY to spot...just hit the gas...if you see the motor lift up...it's broken.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Ken wrote:Yes! Carry a spare. The new belts aren't cheap..I just bought one...$130.

The most common reason for breaking is what Scott said...1) Out of alignment 2) Broken motor mounts.

The front is EASY to spot...just hit the gas...if you see the motor lift up...it's broken.
I think my front just may be then! I thought it looked a little lose but it appeared snug...

Did you buy a new one from polaris? If so, do you mind taking a picture of the new belt you bought? I want to compare it to the one I got and see if they are different brands and design.

-Todd

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 pm

I'm won't be home till Friday. I'll find the part number on it.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:19 pm

I ordered a double-cog heavy-duty EPI belt off ebay but it didn't get here in time to drop off @ Polaris in Placerville so I`ll be using the new style 800/rZR belt they said. And have the EPI I ordered as a spare.

ToddW

Postby ToddW » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:56 am

Info... belt was exploded in a ton of small pieces they said. alignment looked good, and motor mount looked good.

Wildhorse800

Postby Wildhorse800 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:13 pm

If you jump alot, it can wreak havoc on the belt, especially if you leave off the throttle. The engine brake is grabbing as you hit the ground...not to hard to imagine what goes on in there!
2008 Polaris SP800 HO
1999 Polaris SP500
2008 Suzuki M-50
1988 Honda VLX 600

I've been told I joke around too much.
So one day I tried being serious.
Everybody laughed!

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:03 pm

thats cool that the polaris belts are some what simple to change the belt in the field, my Kaw was a bit of a pain to chainge the belt even in my garage.

I am kinda anti belt, but it does not seem so bad if you change one in the field quickly
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member