Got my new Sportsman (800 EFI)!

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:52 pm

Ouch. . . just for that I am going ot have to cite you for not taking out your poo and make you tote out everyone elses. . .
Shit. No no wait. No shit yea thats it no shit..
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Lizard
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Lizard » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:02 pm

I'll be there before 10 on Friday.
Rincon that's dialed in.

Stumppuller
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Stumppuller » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:22 am

Hey RobG, how's that 800 EFI doing, any trip reports or pictures for us. I'm getting more and more interested in the 800, nice to see a good honest review from a good long trip.

Thanks
2007 Polaris 800 STEALTH LE (Mine)
Stainelss steal brushguard and rear bumper
handguards
Uni Air Filter
windshield for winter only

2006 Polaris 800 Green (Wife's)
Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

RobG

Postby RobG » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:19 am

Photos here:

http://www.atvowners.com/rob/atv/sp800efi

I have about 200 miles on it so far and just did the initial oil change over the weekend. Unlike my Grizzly, which takes about 2.25 quarts overall, this thing takes exactly 2 quarts, no more. Oil change is fairly easy except filter access is kind of a pain.

Fuel economy is surprisingly good. My last ride of just under 50 miles got me 19 mpg. Worst so far has been 13, and that was the second ride on very slow, rocky, technical terrain. Average has been 16-17... which is about the same as my Grizzly 660.

Ride quality is superb. Handling is very good for a machine of this size and weight. It's no Rincon in terms of sporty handling, but it's not tippy like a stock Grizzly either.

Power, of course, is excellent. I love EFI. Smooth idle, easy starting, etc, etc. My Grizzly is still warm-blooded in that it has to idle for 2-3 min before attempting to ride it, or it'll buck and sputter and ultimately stall. And I've adjusted the carb float several times, and while that has helped, it hasn't cured the problem.

Tires... not impressed. I had thought that finally I found a quad that came with GOOD tires. Now I'm not so sure. It seems like they spend a lot of time spinning rather than getting traction. The Bighorn Radials on my Grizzly are awesome, so I'm figuring on getting a set of these (on black ITP C-Series Type 4s) at some point in the not too distant future. That's $700 I just don't have right now.

Brakes... also not impressed. Hot Seat Performance makes a brake split kit to give you a lever on the RH ride of the bars, which I plan to add soon. This will give me separate f/r brake control and should work a whole lot better. I suspect the current master cylinder just isn't big enough to control all the brakes.

Other than those two minor issues, this machine rocks!!

Rob
'09 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 EPS
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS
'02 Yamaha Grizzly 660
'05 Arctic Cat M7 153

'05 Dodge RAM 3500 QC 4x4 6sp
'06 Keystone Raptor 3814SS 5th Wheel Toyhauler

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:57 am

RobG wrote:Fuel economy is surprisingly good. My last ride of just under 50 miles got me 19 mpg. Worst so far has been 13, and that was the second ride on very slow, rocky, technical terrain. Average has been 16-17... which is about the same as my Grizzly 660.
Rock crawling is definitely low mileage...but you go 17 miles in day...all day...and still have a gallon or so.
RobG wrote:Ride quality is superb. Handling is very good for a machine of this size and weight. It's no Rincon in terms of sporty handling, but it's not tippy like a stock Grizzly either.
I notice the suspension on the 2005, works a bit better than the <= 2004.

RobG wrote:Power, of course, is excellent. I love EFI. Smooth idle, easy starting, etc, etc.
It really is amazing.
RobG wrote:Tires... not impressed. I had thought that finally I found a quad that came with GOOD tires. Now I'm not so sure. It seems like they spend a lot of time spinning rather than getting traction. The Bighorn Radials on my Grizzly are awesome, so I'm figuring on getting a set of these (on black ITP C-Series Type 4s) at some point in the not too distant future. That's $700 I just don't have right now.
Have you ever used the 589's or Mudlites? They are the best rock crawlers I've seen....the 589's get such great traction...especially wet to rock conditions.

RobG wrote:Brakes... also not impressed. Hot Seat Performance makes a brake split kit to give you a lever on the RH ride of the bars, which I plan to add soon. This will give me separate f/r brake control and should work a whole lot better. I suspect the current master cylinder just isn't big enough to control all the brakes.
Never really noticed this....but then again...I've never really driven the others to see a difference. All I want to do is stop....I don't care about the finer differences in one vs. two. If I was racing....then one would be inadequate for sure. Also if I was used to 2...I could see how the difference would be noticeable.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:34 am

with the last brakes comment,
do you see the weak brakes being an issue when trying to stop quickly, or when doing slow controled stops?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

RobG

Postby RobG » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:42 am

Dusty:

Both. The problem mainly is modulation, and a "hard pedal" feel. I think if the master cylinder was stronger, it'd be a lot better... but you really have to clamp down on the lever to keep speed controlled, and having to use only your left hand to do that on a steep downhill, while fighting its tendency to walk sideways due to EBS, it's frustrating.

If there were two brake levers, you could (IMO) more easily modulate the brakes, and not have to put all your strength into one hand.

In time, I may get used to it... since I can't afford $200 to split the brakes right now.

Rob
'09 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 EPS
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS
'02 Yamaha Grizzly 660
'05 Arctic Cat M7 153

'05 Dodge RAM 3500 QC 4x4 6sp
'06 Keystone Raptor 3814SS 5th Wheel Toyhauler