How are the EFI's holding up?

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Stumppuller
Just opened an account at Cabelas

How are the EFI's holding up?

Postby Stumppuller » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:13 pm

Now that they've been out for awhile, can anyone give an idea on the durability and how there built. I'm interested in the 800 but am gun shy as friends have polaris's and they have had nasty problems, recently a friend's 500 HO overheated on a rally because the rad is too LOW to the gorund and mud got in, not one grizzly overheated but 3/4 Sportsman's did. I don't like this idea.

I've heard the 800 has a bigger rad and coooling hoses with a bigger fan. Is this true. Can anyone give a good ride report on the 800 EFI, are they going to live up the Grizzly quality??? RobG, can you give me some good advice, what about the fuel pump overheating, is it exagerated?
Now that Bombardier is coming out with a Vtwin true 800, Price is going to be a deciding factor as well, as I've found some real good prices on Polaris 800's, the price of Grizzly's. 9890.00 Canadian to be exact.

Thanks
2007 Polaris 800 STEALTH LE (Mine)
Stainelss steal brushguard and rear bumper
handguards
Uni Air Filter
windshield for winter only

2006 Polaris 800 Green (Wife's)
Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:11 pm

I think RobG will be your guide...he rides a bit.

We now have 3 800 EFI...Dusty, RobG and Steve....but I think Rob rides the most.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

RobG
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby RobG » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:15 pm

My SP800EFI is doing very well. Granted I haven't ridden it in any super hot weather yet (maybe in the next few weeks), but it's done very very well.

Most gas I've used so far on a ride has been 2.5 gal, and that was on a 50-miler the other day (worked out to 19 mpg). This thing gets GOOD mileage despite what some may say.

I'll also know more about the fuel pump in a few weeks during a ride I'm going on over the 4th of July weekend. On that one I'm certain to get low on fuel and have to add some from the flat pack. This thing has no "reserve" mode, and so far the gas guage itself is pretty lousy -- reads very optomisitc... so odds are I'll end up running it til it sputters. That's just as well since I still don't know how much gas this thing holds. I'm getting two different stories depending where I look. Some sources say 4.13 gal, others say 4.75.

After a good 150-200 miles on this thing (not sure; haven't checked odometer lately), my main complaints are the single lever braking and the rear-wheel-only EBS. I can fix the brake issue since Hot Seat Performance makes a kit to mount a lever on the RH side. BUT, the EBS issue still troubles me.

At first, I thought the EBS was great, and for the most part it is... but the other day, I went down a few steep, loose hills and the back end was getting very squirrley even at very low speeds. One hill had a nice turn on it and the quad wanted to try to crawl sideways down the hill, which would have led to a rollover had I let it. I almost had to put the thing in neutral.

So I'm not sure what to do about that. Hmm..

Rob
'09 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 EPS
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS
'02 Yamaha Grizzly 660
'05 Arctic Cat M7 153

'05 Dodge RAM 3500 QC 4x4 6sp
'06 Keystone Raptor 3814SS 5th Wheel Toyhauler

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:22 pm

ALWAYS...go down steep hills in HIGH.

If you really feel like you want EBS...use the reverse trick.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:23 pm

BTW...I think running out of gas once...is a good idea.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

RobG
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby RobG » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:30 pm

Depending on the hill, EBS and Low work very very well. The loose ones I was on the other day were not the case; definitely not in low, and even in High (which I did switch to for some others) were causing problems.

Agreed on the gas issue. That's why I always carry a flat pack of fuel no matter where I ride.

Rob
'09 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 EPS
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS
'02 Yamaha Grizzly 660
'05 Arctic Cat M7 153

'05 Dodge RAM 3500 QC 4x4 6sp
'06 Keystone Raptor 3814SS 5th Wheel Toyhauler

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:36 pm

You can do the reverse trick, if you really think you'll need 4W EBS.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:12 pm

Ken wrote:You can do the reverse trick, if you really think you'll need 4W EBS.
What is the reverse trick?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:13 pm

Hold button, in reverse...spin rears to engage...don't let go of the button. Put in L or H....and go.

viewtopic.php?t=59

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director