SP 800 VS Bomb 800

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Stumppuller
Just opened an account at Cabelas

SP 800 VS Bomb 800

Postby Stumppuller » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:34 am

Anyone think of these machines pared together, I wonder for the kind of riding that is done on this site how the new Bomb would do agains the SP 800.
From what I've read power wise, there's NO comparisent, the new Bomb is just out of the world for power, but besides that, I wonder how it would hold up in the mountains, its EFI, has a Visco Lock, has 12 inches of ground clearance, has a 5 gallon gas tank, is only 639lbs, the ony thing I don't know about is the type of EFI it uses, I know Polaris uses the BOSCH system that Chev and Ford use, and from what I hear its the best right now.
Anyone have any info on comparisents yet?
2007 Polaris 800 STEALTH LE (Mine)
Stainelss steal brushguard and rear bumper
handguards
Uni Air Filter
windshield for winter only

2006 Polaris 800 Green (Wife's)
Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:38 am

No...only heard about it.

The Outlander I rememember had TONS of plastic. 200 lbs less...is a HUGE difference....where'd it come from? Suspension? Frame?
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:49 am

the new Bomb would do agains the SP 800.
It would Bomb..... :wink:
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:16 am

The suspension is pretty weak. They have a single J arm setup.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

RobG
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby RobG » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:22 am

A guy I never rode with but who was associated with the previous incarnation of my ATVExplorers group had an Outlander 400 and cracked the frame on it from ordinary riding.

While I'm sure they've corrected that problem, it would make me wonder. Plus I don't trust differentials that are "supposed" to lock but normally aren't. I want either a manual lock like my Grizzly (or the Brute), or the setup like Polaris has.

I'm not gonna bash the machine because it's not out and nobody really knows what it'll do... I'd just be leary before spending nearly $10K (US) on it.

Rob
'09 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 EPS
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS
'02 Yamaha Grizzly 660
'05 Arctic Cat M7 153

'05 Dodge RAM 3500 QC 4x4 6sp
'06 Keystone Raptor 3814SS 5th Wheel Toyhauler

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:49 am

Bombardie talks a good game if you've ever been to a dealer. They will talk about the overwhelming dominance in many of the recreational vehicle areas....Ski Doo...for sleds and watercraft....Bombardie Snow Cats...

However....the reality is. Bombardie has been fractured between family members...the Snow Cat business and the ATV business are two different companies...it would be like Honda fighting from within, and splitting in half and the ATV's and motorcycles being built by two different companies.

I'm not sure I'd be very quick to jump behind a product with that much turmoil.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

RobG

Postby RobG » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:34 am

I'm hesitant to deal with Bomb too especially having owned one of their sleds and know it to be a complete piece of crap in a number of ways.

The REV design is nose-heavy (bigtime) and is almost dangerous it's so tippy... not stable at all on a sidehill if you can't keep a ski in the air, which is about impossible due to the suspension design unless... unless it's in powder.

Their bulkheads will bend if you sneeze too hard. This almost isn't an exaggeration. The slightest hit of a rock or tree root (glancing blow) will bend the lower crossmember, which is an 8-hour job to replace.

Their 2-stroke sled motors go through rings every 800-1000 miles (mainly the 600 and 800 cc twins... not sure yet on the new 1000). One guy I've ridden with a number of times, who has been snowmobiling for 37 years and has a Rev Summit (04, same year as mine) is on his FOURTH motor under warranty because they keep blowing up. Sadly, this isn't an isolated incident.

Lastly, the dealer I dealt with was a total snake and will screw you in a second. And he did.

Granted their 4-stroke motors are better, especially the ATV motors, but I really do wonder.

Rob
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S
'02 Yamaha Grizzly 660
'05 Arctic Cat M7 153

Stumppuller

Postby Stumppuller » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:40 pm

As for the company, it is the dealer who will make it or break it. Here is what I mean, I had a 3 year bumper to bumper, found out through some other dealers there was some fine print with that, it wasn't fully covered for 3 years. I called my dealer and he told me not to worry, if he had to, he would put it on someone else's warranty.
I have a Bomb traxter XT, and I've put it through hell, and its never let me down, ROBG, the Visco Lock is awesome, it locks up as soon as 1 front wheel looses traction.
The traxter was probably there toughest ATV till the dropped it from there line, i'm not sure about the Outlander, myself I'm going to get the Polaris first as here in Canada, were looking at 2000.00 and up difference. And I like the Polaris better.
I was just wondering if anyone has compared them as they are starting to sell lots in the US, just look at highlifter.
handguards
Uni Air Filter

Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:58 pm

I never seen a Bombardie on a ride.

I'm sure people own them....In 2+ years...I've never run into one.

I've never even seen on a trailer or truck on the Hwy going to ride it somewhere....plenty of Honda, Polaris, Kawasaki, Arctic Cat ...not too many Suzuki....but never a Bomb.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:00 pm

Oh...and I agree...Dealer makes or breaks...just about any ride.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

RobG

Postby RobG » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:07 pm

I've seen quite a few Outlanders in the backs of trucks around here... and one on trails. But I've seen more Grizzlies on trails than anything else. I've only seen I think two Sportsmans, not including mine.

Rob
'08 Polaris Outlaw 525 S
'02 Yamaha Grizzly 660
'05 Arctic Cat M7 153

Stumppuller

Postby Stumppuller » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:49 am

Its really funny because the area we live in dictates alot of what people ride as most people won't travel too far to buy.
I live in Quebec Canada, and to be honest, Yamaha is on top of the food chain here, Kodiaks and Grizzly's everywhere, that is why I want something different. Polaris 800 is one machine not everyone has and seems to be a pretty tough machine. Outlanders are getting more popular but are expensive especially the 2 up ones.
I've never seen a Kawi on the trail at all myself.
handguards
Uni Air Filter

Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:33 am

I never seen a Bombardie on a ride.

I'm sure people own them....In 2+ years...I've never run into one.

I've never even seen on a trailer or truck on the Hwy going to ride it somewhere....plenty of Honda, Polaris, Kawasaki, Arctic Cat ...not too many Suzuki....but never a Bomb.
I've ridden with two guys who own both the Bomb and Suzuki. The bomb is actually a two seater. Interesting rigs..... I've got a few pix however I'm unable to post them.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:00 am

I actually take it back....The 2 seater reminded. I've seen Outlanders being used by Tahoe Adventures.

And the only Suzuki I've seen, was an Arctic Cat!

Even the dealer here in Roseville who sells Suzuki bikes, doesn't sell large Suzuki quads. Only kids versions.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director