Clicking noise from gear box

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

gtilby
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Clicking noise from gear box

Postby gtilby » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:26 pm

I bought a Sportsman 700 Twin from an auction knowing that it ran good but couldn't actually test drive it. It had a ripped rear axle boot and looked pretty dirty inside but I bought it any way, it was a pretty good deal. When rode it to put it in my truck I noticed a clicking sound that sounded a lot like bad CV joints in a front wheel drive car. I had a friend of mine take the axle apart and clean everything up, he thought the axle looked good so he replaced the boot and put it all back together. It is still clicking. We are now thinking that maybe the clicking is coming from inside the gear box. I have never had one apart, what can I expect and what should I look for? It seems to click the most when turning because of the wheels spinning at different speeds. We drained the gearbox fluid and there were no metal shavings (that is good I would think). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I can't believe I sold my vintage VW Bus to get a quad, but my Sportsman 700 does have about the same top end speed. :)

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:05 am

Chadd?
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:38 am

It sounds like a bad cv joint. I doubt it's the transmission they are bullet proof. What year is the bike? Also i have seen the rear hubs make a clicking sound. pull off both rear hubs and put some anti seeze on the axle splines and that takes care of it.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:40 am

Also try jacking up the rear end and run it see if it still makes noise.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:08 am

Chadd wrote:Also try jacking up the rear end and run it see if it still makes noise.
If you can get it up on all four, just in case the front end kicks in.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:25 am

and turn off AWD
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:12 pm

MrBill wrote:
Chadd wrote:Also try jacking up the rear end and run it see if it still makes noise.
If you can get it up on all four, just in case the front end kicks in.

Whew weee...that would be fun to watch.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

gtilby

Postby gtilby » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:17 pm

It is a 2003 model. I will try the anti-seize on the splines. Hopefully that is all it will take. Any idea on the cost of a new CV if that is what needs replaced? Also, is it going to damage anything if I ride it like this for a while? :shock:
I can't believe I sold my vintage VW Bus to get a quad, but my Sportsman 700 does have about the same top end speed. :)

gtilby

Postby gtilby » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:34 am

UPDATE...After putting it back together with the same joint, just clean and greased, it has stopped clicking for the most part. It will still click in reverse on pavement but that is about it.