04700EFI Runnin' rough...suspect one cylinder not firing...

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

rangertom
Is tracking a shipment right now

04700EFI Runnin' rough...suspect one cylinder not firing...

Postby rangertom » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:40 am

Anyone had this problem? Mine has 1300 miles...I bought it new...and this problem just happened a couple days ago. I've yet to do some investigating, having lacked the time to check it out.

My first check will be the plugs, then wires, then back from there. If it gets too involved, it'll end up going to the dealer...

I'm completely open to suggestions and I'm begging for them from all you obsessed ones who may have had this problem before me.\

Thanks in advance,

Tom
05 Magnum 330 4WD (wife's)
04 Sportsman 700 EFI (mine)
02 TRX90 (daughter's) (for sale to buy my daughter a Sportsman 90)

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:45 am

You are on the right track. Check the plugs first.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:10 pm

Your EFI? Are you using an oil base air filter like K&N? I was just at a Polaris dealer today in Elk Grove and there were about six or seven guys huddled around a phone on the hook with some Polaris engineer. A couple of guys were having problems with their 700 and 800's running bad. Some of the symptoms you just mentioned.... Feels like it's missing or shaking.

Apparently, Polaris is saying you can't run an oil base air filter with EFI.... Paper only. The oil is getting sucked into the carb. and the impact is like running a carbed Polaris with no filer. It starts to bog.... or shake, or..... feel like it's missing. Hope that helps.....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:35 pm

I did not know that you cannot use a Oil based filter with the EFI. that is good to know. I am going to be hunting for a new filter here in the next couple weeks and will keep that in mind.
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:32 pm

I have seen latley that about 100 or so miles in DUSTY conditions with a K&N on a 700 OR 800 EFI, Your throttle body will be plugged with dust. paper stops all the dirt. I have been using a http://www.notoil.com and a friend of mine has been running a http://www.twinairusa.com/products/filters.html. I haven't had this problem since i switched to the foam filter. at $15 the paper filters get expensive at one a week.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:09 am

That's really interesting about the K&N with EFI.....I guess it "sucks" harder.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:58 am

Ken wrote:I guess it "sucks" harder.
Thats what i think. I've checked a few 500's and the carbs are clean with the K&N installed. the only think differant on my 700 is i put the 800 airbox snorkel on and It's definitly louder at WOT.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:07 am

thanks for the tip Chaddman...................will pick up for wifes EFI.

DAVE

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:30 am

Heck yah!!! I've got a NOTOIL on there...since installing it, I put over 200 Miles on it, with no problems until now...and yeah...it shakes, spits and sputters...and like I previously mentioned, doesn't smell like it's burning all the gas...I'll check into it tomorrow or the next evening...That's really strange though...I mean, if you let the oil dry, it shouldn't suck any into the throttle body, right?

So, if this is in fact my problem, is there a cleanout procedure for clearing the injection system? It sure would be nice to know what I'm gonna need prior to starting this, possibly painful, maintenance.

Thanks again for the hot tip,

Tom

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:08 am

turn the key on and off three times and leave it on the third time. This will go through a diagnosis and display any trouble codes in numberical order on the gauge. Let me know if you see a code. To clean the throttle body take off air box and throttle body, LEAVE the throttle cable hooked up, crank the throttle open and spray it out with carb cleaner. also clean the tube from the air box to throttle body it can get pretty dusty.

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:33 pm

Thanks for your help Chadd...will do...and will let you know...

rangertom

It was the AIR Filter!!!

Postby rangertom » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:46 am

I opened the airbox...the filter looked quite dirty...removed it...the throttle body tube was perfectly clean...I installed a new factory paper filter...fired it up, and it ran perfectly! Go figure! It's just amazing how touchy the EFI system must be to having the perfect airflow. It sure was nice to see the throttle tube as immaculately clean...I wasn't looking forward to tearing that apart...

Thanks to all!

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:12 am

Chadd wrote:turn the key on and off three times and leave it on the third time. This will go through a diagnosis and display any trouble codes in numberical order on the gauge. Let me know if you see a code. To clean the throttle body take off air box and throttle body, LEAVE the throttle cable hooked up, crank the throttle open and spray it out with carb cleaner. also clean the tube from the air box to throttle body it can get pretty dusty.
I did the diagnostic check...No codes came up...all checked out ok. Everything was in spec. I mean to tell you what...it's a BAD7 again! Runnin' like a raped ape!