Found some interesting info on the Liberty Motor!

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Stumppuller
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Found some interesting info on the Liberty Motor!

Postby Stumppuller » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:05 am

I've been reading alot around here on the 700-800 twins and notice that they are not getting good gas mileage compared to what I have found on a snowmobile site, can someone explain why they wouldn't do this type of set up on the ATV's to increase there gas mileage to respectable levels. With gas prices stupid like they are you want more bang for your buck, and if you go into very remote far areas who wants to be carrying 5 gallons of gas plus. My traxter gets 125 miles on 5 gallons, I usually only bring roughly 2 gallons just incase.
Can anyone explain this, maybe someone should ask Polaris directly.

The 600, 700 and 800 feature the liquid-cooled Polaris Liberty engine:
Variable Exhaust System (VES) improves fuel economy, while reducing noise and emissions
Mikuni flatslide carbs with Throttle Position Sensors (TPS) enhance throttle response and reduce thumb effort
Compression release reduces starting effort by 35% (700 and 800)
New Polaris Detonation Elimination Technology helps protect the engine (700 and 800)
The Frontier Classic is powered by the Polaris Liberty four-cycle engine, a snowmobile-specific design that reduces hydrocarbons by 98% and carbon monoxide by 64%, while delivering up to 20-25 mpg at trail speeds. It’s so clean it meets proposed 2012 EPA emissions standards.
2007 Polaris 800 STEALTH LE (Mine)
Stainelss steal brushguard and rear bumper
handguards
Uni Air Filter
windshield for winter only

2006 Polaris 800 Green (Wife's)
Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:07 am

To technical for me...... Only questions I can answer are true or false.. :wink:
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:20 pm

I agree............ the answer is false.......

Question... why the F>>>>> does my 4 door 4wheel drive diesel trk get better mileage than my Quad.... I don't care how much the fuel cost. but it's a pain to have to pack fuel around on rides....

answer true

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:25 pm

4 door 4wheel drive diesel trk get better mileage than my Quad....
Cuz with all the gas you pack around on your quad.... your truck is lighter. lol.....

I agree, it's crazy.... and of course doesn't make sense.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Stumppuller
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Postby Stumppuller » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:42 pm

I kind of find it very strange that the same motor can produce such good gas mileage, I found the info on a sled site and thought you Polaris guys could explain this or find someone who can. Do they use a different EFI system on the sleds, they talk about the VES, and TPS Sensor helping, can a Sportsman be set up with this and if so why don't they already do it.

Man I want a 800 so bad, still waiting on that better job first. : )
2007 Polaris 800 STEALTH LE (Mine)
Stainelss steal brushguard and rear bumper
handguards
Uni Air Filter
windshield for winter only

2006 Polaris 800 Green (Wife's)
Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:48 pm

There are some weight differences between the two...... like 300 lbs. Probably more if you include all the crap that goes along with the quad.

Winch, bumpers, bumper grill, tool box..... tow straps and all the misc. stuff associated with saving your a$$ when you break down....lol.

That could have an impact.

dp
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby dp » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:15 pm

Chadd should chime in on this...but my 900 sled weighs in around 620lbs wet. Yeah its a two stroke and I go through 8 to 10 gallons on a good days sled ride. seems to make sense with twice as many firings as a four stroke. I think its funny that they reference miles per gallon on a sled. Should be that they reference gas consumption at a certain RPM.

I pack a 2.5 gallon gas tank around on the sled on almost every ride.
'05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BearCat » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:38 pm

Not sure if you should compare sleds to atv's as far a miles per gallon is concerned. If You take the other atvs that are coming out and are roughly the same size then I dont believe the mileage is all that bad. the 750 Kawi is(from what I have heard) about the same. The new Bomb 800 is abit better than the 800 Polaris but again its EFI and newer technology wise. Rotax has built many engines for many different applications and that may shine through on the 800.
I look at it this way...I have been riding for awhile and have a shit load of money tied up into this hobby. If I spend 7000~10000 on a new machine with all the toys and attachments and may ride seriously 2 times a month. Well I really have no problem spending the money on gas for the day. If mileage is somthing your looking at than buy a smaller machine. But after riding a 700 EFI?? Damn!!?? Gas is a no brainer and well worth every penny LOL.
Willing to bet the liberty engine will be changed up in the next couple yrs.

Bear.