Just changed all the fluids

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Just changed all the fluids

Postby BearCat » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:00 am

Alright just hit the 20hr mark and changed the fluids in the engine, tranny and both front-rear diffs. Diff fluids were nasty along with the trans.You could see the "glitter" as it poured out. The front diff drain plug is magnetic and was covered in crap. Engine oil was dirty but there were no signs of glitter or shavings. Going to do another change at 40hrs.(used Polaris fluids throughout) Just a heads up for anyone on a new machine.

BC.

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:16 am

That does not sound good. My front and rear were relatively clean when I changed mine. I had a very small amount of dark gray to black contamination on the mag. plug.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:58 am

That does not sound good.
No Shit kinda scares me...but the next change will be the one that says it all. hope its just everything seating and wearing/breaking in. Does anyone know if polaris uses "break-in" oil in their engines?

BC.

Rogue
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby Rogue » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:21 am

As far as I know, all the ATVs come with the factory recommended fluids. I changed several brand new sportsmans, trail bosses, and a pred, and they all had the Polaris Synthetic in them. Except for the Pred, which has a different oil due to the wet clutch, but you can still tell it's polaris factory due to the green color (if it's not completely sooted).
[url=http://www.nvatr.com]North Valley All Terrain Riders[/url]
The definition of irony: working on a Navy base in the middle of a desert.

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:49 pm

but you can still tell it's polaris factory due to the green color
That's it......
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Rogue

Postby Rogue » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:06 pm

...Were you expecting something more?

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:43 am

Dang! That worries me too! I took mine in for it's first service at the recommended mileage. I don't imagine the dif fluids were changed, I think I better do that! I guess I'll pick up some of those fluids on the way home. I did oil changes on mine about 15 hours ago, and the oil looked good, it had about 60 hours on it, no shavings. Hopefully I'll find the same when I change out the dif's.

Great info, Thanks!
05 Magnum 330 4WD (wife's)
04 Sportsman 700 EFI (mine)
02 TRX90 (daughter's) (for sale to buy my daughter a Sportsman 90)

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:50 am

Mr. Miyagi wrote:
but you can still tell it's polaris factory due to the green color
That's it......
Yea quacks like a duck must be a duck :lol: :lol: :lol:

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:57 am

Dang! That worries me too! I took mine in for it's first service at the recommended mileage. I don't imagine the dif fluids were changed, I think I better do that! I guess I'll pick up some of those fluids on the way home.
Ranger, Friend of mine just bought an 04 700EFI over the holidays..I went with him to pick it up and the guy that sold it says.. Dont worry about a thing till spring our guys went over it.. Well, we get it home and three of us start going over it. Had to fill the battery, fill the brake fluid, the front/rear diff fluids needed to be changed along with the engine oil. We usually get together when one of our machines needs to be serviced (good excuse to drink a few beers) Don't take the dealerships word for it. NO CHADD I'M NOT SAYING YOUR ALL BAD LOLOL. Just that if I do it then I know its done.

Bear

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:28 am

Most of them are full of sh!t....... Just like when they advertise a used sled/quad/car as new or in excellent condition (maybe if your from Lithuania or Botswana) otherwise it's ready for the sh!t pile. lol.....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:12 am

This whole thing prompted me to take a look at my service manual last night to see the recommended intervals and fluid types required/recommended by polaris. Dayam!!! That's a LOT of different fluids! I kinda figured the diffs would be the same as the Trans...but NOPE! I didn't really think, either, there was an interval called out for cleaning the clutches! I've really been lax about maintainence! I guess I've got some work to do and some $$$ to spend on stuff to keep the machine in order!

At least I've got a grease gun for all the zirks I found in the manual...that's one expense I won't have to come out of pocket for.

This is going to be a busy Friday! at the very least...I'll know my machine and it's status a LOT better!
05 Magnum 330 4WD (wife's)
04 Sportsman 700 EFI (mine)
02 TRX90 (daughter's) (for sale to buy my daughter a Sportsman 90)

Rogue

Postby Rogue » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:50 pm

How many of you guys run the Polaris oil, and how many have switched to something different?

I'm just curious how it seems to be holding up for the riding you guys do.

I find it amusing that Polaris motors have it stamped right on the engine to run 10-40, yet Polaris recommends 0-40.... I think they've been in Minnesota too long...

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:39 am

I switched out all my fluids the other week and used Polaris oils, which I am sure is as good as any other, but did not want to risk anything and what is an additional 10 bones when it comes to such a expensive piece of equiment.

I did have a bitch of a time getting the tranny oil into the hole as it is not the easist to get in there. Any one have some suggestions on how to get it in there without spillingit all over the ground, and then how to make sure that I have enough in there. nothing would be worst than not getting enough.
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:39 am

My trans bottle came with a nozzle cap and it fit right in there.

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:40 am

Any one have some suggestions on how to get it in there without spillingit all over the ground
Use one of those Nozzle type caps Bill is talking about and slide a short piece of hose over it,as long as the hose doesn't plug up the "fill hole" in the tranny you'll know right away when its up to the proper level. I used a short piece of clear gas line.

BC