No 4X4 in reverse in cold weather?

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Joey2
Just opened an account at Cabelas

No 4X4 in reverse in cold weather?

Postby Joey2 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:17 am

Hey guys,

So far this year in the cold weather I have had no problems with the reverse override (when I need 4X4). The past two days while plowing I did not have 4X4 in reverse (yes, I was in AWD mode) while pressing the reverse override button. It happened for anoput 30-45 minutes and then It would work fine. I'm thinking of pulling the plug at the switch to check the connection, maybe add some dielect grease. I'm guessing it is the override button because I do have 4X4 in High and Low, just not in reverse.

Any thoughts?

Also this week I broke my winch cable and broke a puck (skid) on my glacier blade. Sucks... I can only attribute these to driver error....

But I still love my machine!! :D
2005 SPORTSMAN 500 HO
Warn Winch / Glacier Plow System
Need ground clearence? Need better grip from your factory tires? Need a locking front axle?
"You need a POLARIS!"

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:26 am

Also this week I broke my winch cable and broke a puck (skid) on my glacier blade. Sucks... I can only attribute these to driver error....
You sound like me....... Driver error.....lol.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Joey2

Postby Joey2 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:21 pm

AAArrrghhh!

I took it to the dealer yesterday for the problem (intermittenly engaging in 4X4 when in reverse). Today I picked it up and there was mud and water in the differential!

They cleaned the rollersand all the crap out, also replaced th eseals and O-rings. Now the 4X4 works fine now... i only had to pay 400.00!!!.

That made me SICK. So I asked them how water got in there? They were dumb founded (They took pics to show me what it looked like) as to how the water would get inside the housing. There were no leaks comming out of the differential and the vent line was in place.

Then I asked if power washing could cause this to happen. They thought that it might be the cause.
I usually clean the atv with my power washer, I never aim it directly at the housing or seals when cleaning it so I am uneasy about that answer.

Now mind you, this dealer has usually been by my side the past few years, they really seem genuine so I don't think that they would screw me.

I'm not gonna use thw power washer again to clean it. But if this happens again I will blame Polaris.

Damn, should have bought the warranty.....

Do you guys think that the power washer could do this? Any thoughts?
2005 SPORTSMAN 500 HO
Need ground clearence? Need better grip from your factory tires? Need a locking front axle?
"You need a POLARIS!"

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:44 pm

Then I asked if power washing could cause this to happen. They thought that it might be the cause.
I usually clean the atv with my power washer, I never aim it directly at the housing or seals when cleaning it so I am uneasy about that answer.
Personally, I say no.... I've power washed my 2002 for 15 minutes plus after countless rides with no problems. But I think there's something in the manual that said not to do it...... :)
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:00 pm

I power wash mine all the time. I just changed my fluid in the hub, and it wasn't milky or anything like that....black, but not milky. :)

I would change the fluid regularly for awhile, to keep on top of it.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BearCat » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:37 am

Condensation?? ..With the weather this year, one day freezing the next its 50....I pressure wash all the time and just changed the fluid, no problems. How often do you change the fluid?

BC

Joey2

Postby Joey2 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:03 am

I bought it last year (March), I only have 100 hours and about 400 miles on it.

I changed it at about 70 hours, and it did not appear to have any condensation (milky) or "Mud" in the old oil.

So, since 70 hours to now (100 Hours) this happened, 30 hours.

This is fresh fluid in it now and they claim that the inside of the diff. is now spotless. I will change the fluid every 25 hours in need be. But if this happens again, should I pay for it? I would have to suspect that there is something wrong with the diff.

I do not beat on the machine and I ride thought mud and water like everyone else that I know with other makes of ATV's...
2005 SPORTSMAN 500 HO
"You need a POLARIS!"

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:07 am

lol.... I've never changed mine. lol.....

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:52 am

I've never changed mine.
LMAO...Well don't start now, thats when you begin to run into problems. I'm sure the maple syrup has a few good miles left.

BC

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:53 am

You really should. I couldn't believe how easy it is....and how bad my oil in both front and rear sucked.

The key...is get a measuring cup. The amount of fluid is critical....it's not just fill to top kinda thing.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:01 am

Hey Ken.. just thinkin, have you ever seen a large syringe that would hold the proper amounts? with a short piece of hose that would be the cats ass for the diff's.

BC

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:54 pm

Actually,

Jack has a cool hose contraption....but you have to pour the fluid in. One of those big HORSE SEAMAN ones would work just fine!

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:47 pm

Turkey baseter with a hose.... lol.

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:03 pm

You really should. I couldn't believe how easy it is....and how bad my oil in both front and rear sucked.

The key...is get a measuring cup. The amount of fluid is critical....it's not just fill to top kinda thing.
Maybe I should. Did you take any pictures..... :D

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:08 pm

No...but I can.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director