Belt Problem???

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Pepe
Just opened an account at Cabelas

Belt Problem???

Postby Pepe » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:45 pm

I have a 1996 Sportsman 500 and last summer while rideing it was periodicly makeing a noise like the clutch was grinding on the cover. So I just got around to checking it out and there are marks from the drive clutch rubbing and the belt has been rubbing about 1/2 way in between the driven and drive clutch, both on the top and bottom.

The half of the clutch cover that mounts to the engine and transmission is bolted on tight and seams fine, although the outer cover has probably been steped on to many times by the kids and has caused the inside half to flex a little more than it should. That probably explains the drive clutch rubbing.

I am more concerned with the belt rubbing. With the cover off I ran the engine and at idle the belt is flapping around alot (flapping in the up and down direction) Once you give it a little gas the drive clutch squezes in on the belt and reduces the flapping but at certain rpm ranges the belt is flapping quite a bit (I would guess about 1/2" to 1")
My owners manual dose not give specs on the wear limits. My service manual on my Sportsman 700 dose however and the worn out measurement is 1.125". Mine measures 1.45". I also measured the circumference and compared to a brand new 700 belt, the old 500 belt is less than 1/4" longer. So it dose not look like it has streched considerably.

Any ideas???? I will probably replace the belt since I have it off but I would like to hear opinions on this. Thanks

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BearCat » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:29 pm

hey pepe sounds like a new belt is in order, I dont think there sould be that much play. About the rubbing...have ya hit or jared the bike at all? maybe something is out of alinement from front to back?

BC.

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Sounds like your backing plate is bent (plastic does not bend). If the kids have been riding and using that cover for a foot rest it can take a set at the bent direction. I just fixed my friends polaris by taking wood wedges and spacing the backing plate out so it does not rub any more. I will look for the play tolarance and see what you are to have for play. This is a non-EBS polaris right?
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Pepe

Postby Pepe » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:07 pm

MrBill wrote: This is a non-EBS polaris right?

That is correct, non EBS.
I figured the inner half of the cover or backing plate as you call it is the source of the clutch rubbing problem, I just dont see anything obviously bent. I will be getting a new belt as soon as I can make it up to Dixon. (Oooh HOT Chick in Dixon Polaris :shock: )

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:15 am

1 1/4" to 1 1/8" belt deflection.
Send me a PM with a e-mail address and I can send you the page out of the service manual in .PDF
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Pepe

Postby Pepe » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:20 am

$50 for a non EBS belt? What the hell happend, it was like $30 3 years ago? Did I just get ripped off? I broke my new rule today and went in the Concord store and got a belt, (I was driveing right by it and didnt feal like makeing the trip up to Dixon) I got ripped off huh!

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:01 am

$50 for a non EBS belt? What the hell happend, it was like $30 3 years ago?
I think that's about right...... it goes along with the$7. quart of oil. lol....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.