How to prevent overheating??

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

Stumppuller
Just opened an account at Cabelas

How to prevent overheating??

Postby Stumppuller » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:34 am

Just wondering 2 family members are looking to get a 800 EFI and a 700EFI, someone told me earlier that Polaris's overheat lots if you go into mud because the rads are too low to the ground, looking at them I can see this forsure but is there a way of preventing this besides not going in mud. Is there something you can put on the rad to stop mud from plugging up the fins. When your with a group you don't want this happening especially when other brands are not having this happen.

I know the 800 is supposed to have a bigger rad and hoses but I'm sure it can still happen when mudding. Can anyone give me any ideas as I don't want to be blamed if it happens as its close family. There is suppsed to be a rad guard you can get, will this help.
Why don't the put a rad like on a grizzly, up high and out of the way.
Thanks
2007 Polaris 800 STEALTH LE (Mine)
Stainelss steal brushguard and rear bumper
handguards
Uni Air Filter
windshield for winter only

2006 Polaris 800 Green (Wife's)
Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Stumppuller

Postby Stumppuller » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:18 pm

Will this rad guard help, anyone know.

http://www.jamhard.com/
handguards
Uni Air Filter

Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:10 pm

I can't offer any help.

Actually...Terry and I rode in mud ONE time, at Praire City like 3 years ago. But I would hardly use that 1 experience as any validation that it's ok in the mud.

Honestly, you may have better luck on a East Coast slanted board. I don't know any West Coast riders "into" Mud.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:41 pm

You might want to ask the sniveler down in Florida...... :)

aka:Thrasher
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

rangertom
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby rangertom » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:20 pm

I can't really talk to that either, except for the fact the Jamhard rad guard was created for protection, not for better flow to/through the radiator. I'd have to say, if one wants to eliminate this problem, get another brand, or deal with the overheating problem.

Dealing with it may include carrying a 12 volt pressure washer useable next to a stream or pond.

I just bought the Jamhard guard. Recieved it today...beautiful! After reading your question, it's got me thinking...maybe I can reduce the size of the existing guard...making it easier to clean...hmmm...I have to think about that.

Thanks for the brain teaser!!!
05 Magnum 330 4WD (wife's)
04 Sportsman 700 EFI (mine)
02 TRX90 (daughter's) (for sale to buy my daughter a Sportsman 90)

rangertom
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby rangertom » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:19 pm

Sorry...I must recant...but just a portion...the instructions/website does state one can remove the existing guard in lieu of installing the Jamhard guard...I'm gonna try it! But will also keep the bottom 2" of the existing and the bottom screws holding it....this will be a fun install!

I'll send pics to those who want them...just PM me...Same w/ the Bighorns...gonna put those on in the morning!!! Can't wait...25"s!!!
05 Magnum 330 4WD (wife's)
04 Sportsman 700 EFI (mine)

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:33 pm

I think Ken might have one for sale..... :idea:
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:43 am

We've already talked....It's a possibility...distance being the biggest inhibitor.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

Joey2

Postby Joey2 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:34 am

Stumppuller,

I have had that exact experience last year with a bunch of family and friends.

We were on a Dice Run in Bradford, PA and the three Polaris's in the group of 10 ATV's were leading the pack in the mud holes. Then after this particularly deep hole the trail when up this mountain. I looked at my gage and realized I was HOT!. I pulled over and inspected the radiatior, it was caked with mud. All three Polaris's had the same problem! It felt very sh!tty.

To remedy the problem I used a water bottle and cleaned the mud out. I will say this though, the mud was very thick, almost like concrete mix, so the fan was inoperable until I rinsed it off. Then it was fine. If you don't have water to spare, you can always use urine.

The nice thing about urin is that it comes with a natural funnell. :shock:
Open the front compartment, and piss down the top of the radiator. (Sometime you have to do what you have to do).

Or find a small stream and use that water.
2005 SPORTSMAN 500 HO
Warn Winch / Glacier Plow System
Need ground clearence? Need better grip from your factory tires? Need a locking front axle?
"You need a POLARIS!"

Stumppuller

Postby Stumppuller » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:35 am

See the type of riding we do is fire roads to trails to mountains to deep water crossings to swamp crossings and mud holes on the trails, I don't live in the crap but we do cross good mud holes, and then end up on a back road opening them up.
They don't sound like there that bad, so I'm happy to hear that. And no way we would be putting the rad on the front rack, looks terrible and you can't use your front rack anymore either.
I just don't get why they haven't upgraded there rads to be higher up in the frames like everyone else has done.
One could benefit of my traxter is the rad is in the back, so it can't get plugged, different but it works great.
handguards
Uni Air Filter

Uni Air filter

02 Bombardier Traxter XT
8900 Hard miles.
SOLD