Gotta Code "45"

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

rangertom
Is tracking a shipment right now

Gotta Code "45"

Postby rangertom » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:21 pm

I was reading the shop manual on this, it said I'll have to replace the BAP-T sensor. The code 45 indicates a "circuit low input".

The ATV started running weird before the engine light came on. It was sputtering and seemed to have about half power and idling rough. My first thought was the air filter again. I pulled the airbox cover off, filter looked fine, pulled the filter to inspect the intake hose, fine also.

While I had the airbox cover off, I noticed the snorkel had been rubbing on, what I now know as, the BAP-T sensor. It just happened to stick in my mind. After the inspection was over, I replaced the cover and the seat and started the beast up. It ran fine...go figure.

So, off we headed to a friends house, the wife and I with the kids for a superbowl party. The 700 ran fine with no more spitting and sputtering. After the Steelers won, we mounted back up and headed for home. We no more than got turned around and the check engine indicator came on. I turned off the engine and then restarted it. Within 30 seconds the indicator came back on. I rode the 6 miles back to the house with no obvious degredation in performance, but I figured with it on constantly like that, I'd have a diagnostic code.

So...anyone think it may be a bad connection on the exterior of the sensor, or do we think it needs to be replaced without a doubt?

Anyone run into this before???

Thanks all.
05 Magnum 330 4WD (wife's)
04 Sportsman 700 EFI (mine)
02 TRX90 (daughter's) (for sale to buy my daughter a Sportsman 90)

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:40 am

Any issues with BAP sensor? No.

The nice RUB IN...that you can ride your quad on the street...PRiceless. :)
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:43 am

Ken wrote: The nice RUB IN...that you can ride your quad on the street...PRiceless. :)
I didn't even think about that one! Ha! That is quite restricted there in CA, huh...

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:30 pm

Common problem on 04-05 700 efi. there is a pink wire that plugs into the t-bap sensor and it breaks right where it plugs in. you need to replace the EFI harness. I'll call polaris and get you a part number.. Is it under warranty??
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:38 pm

Dayam!!! It's not under warranty...and the harness probably costs more than the damn sensor, huh!

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:41 pm

rangertom wrote:Dayam!!! It's not under warranty...and the harness probably costs more than the damn sensor, huh!
Can you say POLARI$$
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:43 pm

and the harness probably costs more than the damn sensor, huh!
Thank god it's not a lawn mower.... I needed to replace the grass catching bag only to find out the bag costs 2/3's of what I paid for the fricken lawn mower..... With those prices you would have thought it was made by Polaris. lol......
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:47 pm

Mr. Miyagi wrote:
and the harness probably costs more than the damn sensor, huh!
Thank god it's not a lawn mower.... I needed to replace the grass catching bag only to find out the bag costs 2/3's of what I paid for the fricken lawn mower..... With those prices you would have thought it was made by Polaris. lol......
what is it? a Toro? or a Honduh?
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:52 pm

anyone here know if the sensor and harness on the 700 efi is the same as the 06 500 efi??? my dad-in-law's efi is under warranty... :twisted:

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BearCat » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:58 pm

LOL...Riding on the street???..Heres our laws for the province of Ontario. Go to the "Rules of the road" I really feel sorry for you folks in California I would think with all our Gov liberal BS that we would have been worse off.

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Regs ... #P144_7901

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:19 pm

Wow..... Personally I think (in CA anyway) the issue is more about fee income than it is about right and wrong...... Who else is gonna pay for free medical benefits for the illegals. :)
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:38 pm

To inform...those few like me who didn't know...it turns out the 500 EFI is totally different on the throttle body than the 700 EFI...at least the 04 to 06. The T-BAP sensor on the 500 EFI is incorporated into the metal throttle body. So, back to square one.

My dealer wasn't open today for some reason...musta planned on taking the day off after Superbowl Sunday. If they don't have the sensor in stock, I'll have to rely on BikeBandit to come through for me.

Oh yeah...I checked the 4-wire connector and the "pink" wire was fine, worn, but solid and fine. I reinforced it to make it more durable.

fun fun fun...

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:07 pm

I'm 99% sure that it's not your sensor.. If you pull on the pink wire where it goes into the plug it will be broke. the part number for the wire harness is 2461227 it's about $200. I can try to warranty it for you if your dealer won't help..
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:21 pm

Chadd wrote:I'm 99% sure that it's not your sensor.. If you pull on the pink wire where it goes into the plug it will be broke. the part number for the wire harness is 2461227 it's about $200. I can try to warranty it for you if your dealer won't help..
Chadd, that is just one HELL of an offer! Thanks a MILLION!!!

Buuuutttt...I checked the pink wire...it was there, worn, but solid. It was real solid. I really don't think it's broken, but if one did break...that's the obvious 1st one to go due to the stress on it. I reinforced it w/ electrical tape to try to eliminate the wear...but probably only extended it's life for a little while.

Do you reckon the sensor is something they carry in stock? I figure if they've got it in stock, I connect it up, and I still have the fault, I can give it back to them. Think they'll go for that?

rangertom

Postby rangertom » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:20 am

Here's a simple fix, relatively easy, and pretty damned sharp if you ask me...

from another forum:

Okay, so here’s your bulletproof fix. You’re going to need to buy a common automotive trailer connector, or four-terminal “flat plug.” You need to get both sides, the one that goes on the vehicle and the one that goes on the trailer. There are four wires going to the T-Bap. You need to manually connect one side of the flat plug to the T-Bap and the other side to the wiring loom that goes to it. This is going to require some soldering so if you can’t do that don’t even try, or enlist the help of someone who can.

Unscrew the T-Bap and draw yourself a diagram or “map” for which colored wires go to which terminals on the sensor. The sensor has numbers on the plastic that correspond to the terminals. Unplug the connector. You’ll see there are four flat spade terminals on the sensor down inside a protective plastic sheath that the connector plugs into. You’re going to have to cut this sheath off to work on the spade terminals. It’s only about 1/16” plastic. You can use a knife or hacksaw to carefully cut through it all the way around without damaging the terminals. Once the sheath is removed to expose the terminals drill a 1/16” hole in each terminal and tin them with solder.

The flat plug wire colors aren’t the same as the wiring loom so you have to decide which color replaces which (white becomes pink, etc). Amend your drawn diagram so there’s no confusion as to which colors go to which terminals, making sure that the original wires get connected to the correct terminals on the sensor after they go through the flat plug. Slip a piece of heat shrink tubing over the wire on the plug, solder it to the proper spade terminal at the hole you drilled, slide the shrink tube down and heat it up to seal the connection. Do the same for the other three wires. Now you have a T-Bap that has a built-in connector. I brushed a couple layers of Plasti-Dip around my connections on the sensor just to be on the safe side.

Cut the original connector off the wiring loom. Allowing more length than Polaris did, cut the wiring on the other half of your flat plug so you’ll be working with a finished length. Slip shrink tube over each of the wires and solder them to the flat plug wires using your diagram to match up the right colors. Seal your connections with the shrink tube, reinstall your T-Bap, put some dielectric grease on the flat plug terminals, connect the plugs together and ride.

If you get confused as to which color wire goes to which terminal on the sensor anyone with a factory service manual will be able to tell you by reading the schematic (including me).

Pretty neat, huh!