Sportsman 700 problem?

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

BABS
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Sportsman 700 problem?

Postby BABS » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:08 am

I have an `05 sportsman 700 carbed and am wondering if anyone has had this issue. When new (5 months ago...it was a left over), it cranked off the line and got up to speed pretty quickly. This past weekend I noticed that top speed was only in the high 50's and it felt sluggish. It had all the power/torque to get out of the mud, but felt like it took it's sweet old time getting to higher speeds and didn't have that "snap" off the line.
It's never been under (water in the air box) and the air filter is relatively clean.
It starts and idles fine, so I'm ruling out the spark plugs, and the air filter is clean... no mud, minimal dust. I did plow some heavy snow this winter, and am thinking I might have glazed/smoked the belt...hence the power issues.
Has anyone had this same problem, and if so, what was wrong?
It has low miles (under 200), but I'm thinking of changing the bet anyways.
And what are your top speeds?
Thanks for the help!

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:26 am

High 50's? Never gone that fast...I don't think. Problem is....mainly...we live in the mountains...so rarely is the road perfectly flat for enough distance to see how fast it goes (without gravity assist).

That said.....I'm not sure if the belt would affect top speed. When my belt got trashed from a spring breaking...it mainly affected when the belt engaged....once it engaged, I don't recall any speed issues.

If the engine has lost the "roar" factor...personally..I would still look at Carb or even exhaust issues. If it's bound up....that would slow it down too.

Try running it without a filter too....that would completely eliminate that.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:26 am

Take it out for a run in high and run it up to top speed. Stop and put your hand on the clutch cover if it is hot most likely you are slipping the belt.
You may need a new belt. I know with my 2004.5 500Ho it has a life time belt warranty, if this is true for yours you may want to call your dealer. I don't think they will pay the labor to change it but exchange your belt.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BearCat » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:02 pm

I have over 600 miles on my first belt(see my latest post lol) Anyhow I can get it to 70mph on a flat gravel road,65 to 70 takes a bit. Does your machine engage right away,just above idle? or does it take a couple hundred rpm before it engages?...Thats what my friends 700 was doing just before the belt "let-go" The use of high/low range is damn important on belt life so I have learned. Also I just changed the plugs, and this is gonna sound stupid, When I changed them I'm sure I could have removed the originals without using a wrench..they were barly snugged up. Every time I stood on the throttle there would be one point were it would misfire for a split second, after the plug change..no more misfire.

If the belt is glazed that might be your problem It may not be worn but the edge is "burnt" causing it to slip..Rule of thumb-Plough Snow In Low. I have ploughed the neighborhood driveways this year(all in low) and still only show minimal wear. About .020'' from new.

05 700 EFI.

BC.
Polaris' don't leak oil...They Mark Territory!
[img]http://www.execulink.com/~jesten/header.jpg[/img]

BABS
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby BABS » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:55 am

Well, I took the clutch cover off last night and the belt is in mint condition...no hour glassing, no glaze and there’s no brunt rubber. The belt sits nice and high on the rear, and looking at the shine on the inside of the front clutch, the belt is traveling all the way to the top. There’s no water or dirt inside... it's so clean I could eat off of it!
I then looked at the throttle cable to make sure it was at max range, and it was. The air box is as clean as a whistle. So, I'm at wits end... no freggin clue!
If anyone has any other ideas, let me know.
Thanks.

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BearCat » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:24 pm

Ever taken a carb apart??....one tiny bit of crud can ruin your whole day.

Plus, and this is off-topic here but check/change ALL your fluids. I had changed all mine after 20~25 hrs and found "glitter" plus some sludge, only a recomendation as I run the same machine you do.

BC
Polaris' don't leak oil...They Mark Territory!
[img]http://www.execulink.com/~jesten/header.jpg[/img]

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:45 pm

Take the belt off and clean the clutch sheaves with a scotch brite pad or light emory cloth. You basicly want to rough up the clutches little bit. Also since you have the belt off you can look at the wights and make sure there is no flats spots in them.. More importantly don't use any lube or cleaner (Carb cleaner) on the clutches it will soak into the sheaves and cause you belt to slip. Also do you have stock size tires?? And air pressure will afect top speed.. I can get my 05 700 efi to 65 mph with no problems.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:50 pm

I can get my 05 700 efi to 65 mph with no problems.
Translation: The one I got off the showroom floor. :wink:

I would keep to the green scotch bright. small circles. warm soapy water and blow dry.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:15 pm

Chadd wrote:to 65 mph with no problems.

With no problems.....and 10% downhill grade and a 20mph tailwind.

:wink:
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:16 pm

Flat ground, ie hwy 49....
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:20 pm

Chadd wrote:Flat ground, ie hwy 49....

LOL....I've been trying to......forget.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:44 am

I had fun riding on Hwy 49 there. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:28 am

Remember it well...it will never happen again.

I actually was talking to Roger about it when he picked up the tires....he said we should have turned RIGHT , where he busted us....and gone over the OTHER bridge that's not used as much.

Oh well.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:43 am

I can get my 05 700 efi to 65 mph with no problems.
or faster..... Like maximum velosity while tumbling down a hill.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:20 am

Who were we following that day, oh yeah, it was chadd. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"