The Infamous Polaris Belt

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

The Infamous Polaris Belt

Postby BearCat » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:48 pm

OK I have to ask you guys, but first alittle background...I bought a new Polaris for a few different reasons. This site was the clincher though. The vids and the chat from the regulars had Polaris at the top of the list in what I wanted from a Machine. Now a couple friends of mine own Honda's and swear by them, fine by me, everyone has a machine they prefer. So on the weekends when the beer starts flowin' the perverbial shit hits the fan and boils down to Honda is better because it has no freakin' BELT LOLOL. Well after My other friends 700 shreded the belt it was kind of like ...told ya so...(his machine was bought used with about 900m on it) That didnt matter belt drives suck ass!! So now after 600m on my own machine I check the belt(mine was bought new and I've done my best to follow your guys' directions about the use of high/low range) Well guess what After measuring a brand new belt then measuring my used one there is between .015 and .020 wear total. Meaning .007 to .010 per side. Ha! that still doesn't matter...wear is wear. So we polaris owners add the fact that the handling is better they are actually easier to operate theres better ground clearance, more power, real 4WD ....Doesnt matter You guys are gonna be replacing belts every 1000m....This is were the question comes in(keep in mind this isn't a serious ongoing tooth and nails fight... its over beer in the garage with a few laughs) With The Type Of Riding You Guys Do How Often, On Average, Do You Change Up The Belts On Your Machines???? Or How Many Miles Do You Have On Your First Belt????

BC.
Polaris' don't leak oil...They Mark Territory!
[img]http://www.execulink.com/~jesten/header.jpg[/img]

Tim W
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby Tim W » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:43 pm

When I used to race my 95 400 scrambler in nevada I changed the belt after usally after 5 races or so. But with alot of hard riding. The races were about 100 miles long. Now on my 04 600 I haven't change it yet but I carry one with me.
I have seen honda and yamaha both loose clutchs and the auto clutch packs. When that happens it's alot more money than a belt.
We just had one of our honda ranchers at work do this.

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:29 am

i think i had about 1000m when smoked my first belt. I was stuck bad in the mud, was doing the reverse forward thing trying to get myself out, when i put it in forward, i put it in H instead of L and hit the gas.....I was quickly consumed in a cloud of belt smoke and it was toast from there.....quad ran...but ran like crap on the takeoff, was ok once it got rolling....the belt i have had on since is fine.....but in all fairness i have not checked it now, and I have approx 2600-2800 miles on the quad now. (broke speedo cable last summer and it's stuck @ 2460+/- now)
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:07 am

I had like 1800 miles on my belt.....I had to replace it after a spring broke and messed up some teeth.

I personally....would rather have all the other features...and take care of my belt.

I would also admit that non-belt design would be better suited for mud, than a belt. But that would be the only environmental advantage.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:23 am

Would you guys say that 2500 miles is not uncommon on the 5,7,800's?

Chadd, is there an average at what you see in the shop for replacments?

BC

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:58 am

Hell I got 2800 on mine now.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:10 am

I don't see a average time most people smoke them (hour glass) before they actully wear out.. I do have a diesel in here now with 7845 miles on the original everything..lol

You have a 05 right? I put a 800 drive clutch with the 800 belt and it is indestructable.. Huge upgrade on any 700 I had 1200 miles on that belt when i sold it... I'm still kicking myself for selling that bike it was a bitchin quad.. regardless of what these YAHOOS on here say it was in brand new condtion when i sold it.
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:16 am

If it was me i would change the belt at 1500 miles and keep the old belt for a spare.. I change the belt on my sled at 200 -300 miles just because you can notice the performance differance But it also has 200 HP..

VERY IMPORTANT.. When you change the belt wash the new belt in warm soapy water to remove the residue from the manufacture and clean your clutches with a Scotch Brite pad then blow out the clutches with air to clean out all the dust.. I also put a foam air filter on my clutch vent to keep all the dust out, The first time I tore into the clutches there was 2 puonds of dust in there...
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:02 pm

Thanks For the info..Yes I have an 05 700, Do you have a list of parts for the upgrade to the 800 clutch? Or the pt#'s? Do I need to change "everything" or just the clutch and belt???

BC.

Chadd

Postby Chadd » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:39 pm

You just need the drive clutch and the belt... You use your 700 weights and spring.

Drive clutch part# 1322495
Belt part # 3211106

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:24 am

Thats it?..Thats good news I thought there was going to be more to it.

Thanks
BC.

ontherks
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby ontherks » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:39 pm

I got maybe 150 miles on my first 600 belt, it fell apart, chunks came off.
Now on my sled 05 900 poo I got even less maybe 60 miles and it started to shred.
I like the new problem now, :? the Hood and side panels are melting. Not to mention the throtal that has stuck a few times, chain case way loose, electrical problems, the track that is getting chunks taken out from bolts in the tunnel, and all the rest or the problems.
'14 XP4 1k