sp800 winch twist?

The Way Out!

Moderator: hemingray

extreme atv rider
Just opened an account at Cabelas

sp800 winch twist?

Postby extreme atv rider » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:50 pm

just got 06 sp800 thursday rode all weekend noticed the winch body twist upward when puling ppl out or myself i tightend the foru bolts n nuts as tight as they would go without breaking. this can't be normal any suggestions what to do to stop it from twisting?
06 sp800,pure polaris BG front & rear bumpers, 3.0 winch w/Amsteel blue, jamhard rad guard, 27" mudzilla's, quadovator temp gauge, 1" wheel spacers f, supertrapp slipon,2" lift, custom rad relocate, custom metal rear rack, epi clutch kit,

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:26 pm

What? Pulling upward.....
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

extreme atv rider

Postby extreme atv rider » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:52 pm

the winch housing the whole thing rolloer fairlead and all. the spool the cable is on rotates down when presure is applied to the cable it's like theres no bottom bolts in the mounting bracket causing the housing to come upward and almost hit the top of stock plastic where it says polaris on front. hope you under stand
06 sp800,pure polaris BG front & rear bumpers, 3.0 winch w/Amsteel blue, jamhard rad guard, 27" mudzilla's, quadovator temp gauge, 1" wheel spacers f, supertrapp slipon,2" lift, custom rad relocate, custom metal rear rack, epi clutch kit,

BearCat
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BearCat » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:25 am

I dont think the frame of the atv is flexing...The housing that the fairlead bolts to may be flexing. I think the housing actually incases the winch right?..Might not be a bad idea to take the front rack off(it unbolts/screws real easy) then find a nice large tree in the yard...hook it up and see exactly where its moving.

BC
Polaris' don't leak oil...They Mark Territory!
[img]http://www.execulink.com/~jesten/header.jpg[/img]

extreme atv rider

Postby extreme atv rider » Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:34 pm

did what you said. hooked around tree the winch itself isn't moving at all just the fair lead flexs cause of the way warn made the bracket for winch.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:12 pm

Success....

Defcon 4.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:40 pm

Well if its a Warn winch send them an E-mail, extreme. I've delt with them before on an issue with their plough blade. Keep it civil tell them your trouble/concerns and I bet they'll do what they can to help. Who knows, that flexing may be built into the design to stop damage elsewhere. Does the fairlead return to its original position?

BC.

extreme atv rider

Postby extreme atv rider » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:15 pm

yeah it returns to the center when i let off the button. i think i'm going to live with the flex i would much rather the fairlead flex some verse the winch itself. the only thing i don't like about stock sp800 is the tires they suck i just ordered 27" mudzillas and jamhard rad guard.

any other good mods other then three light and revers light. i saw some where theres a temp gauge that goes in pod but can't find it now anyone know where to get it?

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:19 pm

Something is not right...
Lower mount plate bolts not there? :shock:
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

extreme atv rider

Postby extreme atv rider » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:28 pm

MrBill wrote:Something is not right...
Lower mount plate bolts not there? :shock:
all bolts are there and tight now if i hook cable high where it's not riding on fairlead nothing moves/flexs no matter how much strain there is

BearCat

Postby BearCat » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:27 pm

extreme atv rider wrote: any other good mods other then three light and revers light. i saw some where theres a temp gauge that goes in pod but can't find it now anyone know where to get it?
HighLifter had a nice Temp Gauge but I haven't seen it in awhile. As far as other mods seach this forum theres alot of info on those mods your looking for if your one to "do it yourself". Or get ahold of these guys http://www.quadovator.com I think they strickly deal with polaris mods and have the kits pre-made. It looks as though they are well made but I cant be sure as I haven't personally dealt with them. Others here have dealt with http://www.montanajacks.com and have nothing but good things to say about their products.

BC

extreme atv rider

Postby extreme atv rider » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:54 pm

thanx bear cat quadovator has the temp gauge i saw before i'll be ordering tomorrow and yes i'm the do it yourself type person this way i know the machine and if something i put on breaks or messes somethin up i can only blame myself :!:

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:59 pm

When the cable feeds out does it come off the spool and straight out through the fairlead? Or does it come off and angle up or down to the opening? I've seen people install the winch properly but spool the cable backwards. Binds up on the fairlead badly when under load.
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

extreme atv rider

Postby extreme atv rider » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:06 pm

oldtrucks wrote:When the cable feeds out does it come off the spool and straight out through the fairlead? Or does it come off and angle up or down to the opening? I've seen people install the winch properly but spool the cable backwards. Binds up on the fairlead badly when under load.
i bought winch with quad took it out of the box and bolted it on looking at it the cable feeds off the spool then angles up threw the fairlead. every thing was pre spooled and wired i bolted to the frame and hooked up wires.