? on the front locker of a kodiak

Grizzlies and Wolverines...living together in harmony.

Moderator: hemingray

Atila
Just opened an account at Cabelas

? on the front locker of a kodiak

Postby Atila » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:42 am

Had some trouble with my oem locker on the front of my 03 kodiak 450. Ive use it all week long with no problem, it worked great each time i selected it but on the last day i was stuck on a rock in a river bed and the light was on for the locker but if i gave it some gas only the front right wheel would spin. Tried a couple of time on off and all the time the left wheel would start turning at the same time then i would lost it. Ive raised the front of the ground and tried it the two wheel are lock together when at on and release has soon has it off. I suspect that the slider for the locker his starting to fail but never heard of a yamaha locker failing before. Any ideas.

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby traildad » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:12 pm

I am not sure if I am understanding the problem. One thing I do know is that the drive shaft can pull out from the differential. It might be possible that it is not locked in to the differential anymore and it is slipping in and out. When it is in far enough it will turn, but if it backs out then it won't work. Take a close look. If you can't think of anything else it is easy to take it apart. Then pull on the drive shaft to see if it is still in place. If it just comes out, then it needs a new circlip. It should be somewhat hard to jerk the drive shaft out of the differential.
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

Atila

Postby Atila » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:58 am

It seems to be internal to the diff has the axles shaft are ok and the driving shaft also, i ear the motor operate and with no real effort on the wheel theyre lock together. Ill have to check at the schematic see if its made like i think. May have been a once trouble also but i prefer to be shure has i use the locker often when im stuck.

traildad
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby traildad » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:22 pm

I hope it all works out. I was reading somewhere that a person had a problem similar to this. Only one wheel was spinning. It looked ok from the outside but most thought the drive shaft was not engaged all the way. It seems you can't tell unless you take it apart.

Here is a link to someone else that had a Grizzly with only one wheel turning.
http://forums.atvconnection.com/message ... did/549246
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Mine
05 Yamaha Kodiak 450, Wife's
We love to go Trail Riding and "ATV Backpacking"

Atila

Postby Atila » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:49 pm

Thanks for the link, his trouble his in the rear but it works the same way has my front diff so ill have a look at the clip.