Grizzly Power Steering Issues

Grizzlies and Wolverines...living together in harmony.

Moderator: hemingray

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Grizzly Power Steering Issues

Postby ACLakey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:39 pm

I have been having power steering issues lately. It started this winter and noticed when I passed through water in the trail that the EPS light would come on and the steering would quit. I put dielectric grease in all the connections and ran the codes and got a 41 and 45. According to my manual that means the control unit is not receiving a unit. One night I loaded the quad on the trailer and left it our over night. When we go to the riding area the steering was frozen stuck and would not move until it warmed up. I repeated this the next day which leads me to believe there is water in the unit somehow. Has anybody had one of these units apart? Any other thoughts? I checked with my dealer and they had no ideas and being out of warranty Yamaha basically told me to buy a new unit...no help. Any advice would be appreciated.

ACLakey

Postby ACLakey » Fri May 07, 2010 8:33 pm

The unit has a design flaw. It is a "sealed" unit but has a vent tube that can come off and get water in the works. That is what has happened to mine. The local dealer had another unit do this(this one under warranty) and we took the replaced unit apart to see what makes it tick. The one that came off the warranty quad was rusted solid and full of water. I am going to tear mine apart soon and try to clean the electrical components as best I can....if all else fails I can disconnect the unit until I can afford the $1500 to replace it. I am not very happy with Yamaha right now.

EigerMike
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby EigerMike » Fri May 07, 2010 8:59 pm

thats to bad! is there any way to rebuild?

ACLakey

Postby ACLakey » Sat May 08, 2010 5:16 am

According to Yamaha, no. They stated it is a sealed unit and does not require maintenance. They only off a replacement motor or unit. I argued for about 20min if it was a sealed unit than it would not have a vent tube and a way for water to get in. They stated I did not know what I was talking about. Another case of them not knowing their product.

ontherks
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby ontherks » Sat May 08, 2010 6:35 am

Is the power steering really nessesary. Just seems to me like its more cost, and something to go wrong.
I've never felt a need for it.
'14 XP4 1k

ACLakey

Postby ACLakey » Sat May 08, 2010 9:17 am

No, not necessary but I have to admit it is one of the best features about the quad.

ACLakey

Postby ACLakey » Sat May 08, 2010 2:52 pm

It seems Yamaha relized the oversite and eliminated the tube in the 2010 models. From another site.
There are three different part #'s for the EPS acuator unit 07-08 model yr, 3B4-238B0-00-00, 09 model yr, 3B4-238B0-01-00, 2010 model yr, 3B4-238B0-02-00. So the EPS acutator has been updated 2 times. You or a dealer would have to contact a Yamaha Corporate ATV Tech to determine if an updated EPS unit could be used in an earlier model. They were all listed at the same price so I would definitely use an updated one if it is compatible

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Sat May 08, 2010 4:25 pm

well i hope you can get it fixed.i hate when they know there rong but wont help fix it!!!!

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon May 10, 2010 7:57 pm

"Power steering" sounds like a luxury, but it's a necessity to me. Consider cars - same deal. Can you do without it? Sure. Would you want to? No.

I'm a convert - I'm not that old, but still getting older, and not having my arms ache like I moved a ton of bricks the day before has been worth the price of admission. I took my 660 up to the forest one day just for fun (forgoing my 700 with EPS) - boy did I regret that!

Anyway - thanks for the alert, I'm going to find that tube and keep an eye on it! Sorry your having such difficulty...
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

ACLakey

Re: Grizzly Power Steering Issues

Postby ACLakey » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Update...I was going to flush my unit out with WD40 and drain. So I filled the unit with WD40 and in the process of taking the housing apart I broke the head off a bolt so I was not able to drain the fluid. I decided what the hell and went hunting and have put about 500 mi so far with the unit filled with WD40...so far it has worked like a champ, as good as the day it came home. I would only suggest you do this at your own risk, but it has saved me some serious money in replacing the unit.

Ken
Site Admin

Re: Grizzly Power Steering Issues

Postby Ken » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:26 pm

Wow. Amazing.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/