Grizzly Power Steering Unit Opened up

Grizzlies and Wolverines...living together in harmony.

Moderator: hemingray

ACLakey
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Grizzly Power Steering Unit Opened up

Postby ACLakey » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:59 am

I have been dealing with power steering issues for about six months now and still have no solution. I am not willing to pay the $1500 or so for a new unit or the $600 for the controller and Yamaha is unwilling to help with the fix due to the fact I am outside my warranty. I recently got a warrantied unit from the dealer that was taken off of a submerged quad. The dealer and I were curious what was inside so we opened the unit up and took some pictures.

The unit. The missing censor on the upper portion of the unit must not be taken off. It is a potentiometer type device that must be timed and a spring controlled arm inserted onto a collar on the shaft. Unfortunately that part did not come with the unit, I left it on the work bench at the dealer.

Removing the top portion of the housing to gain access to the gear assembly.

Removing the shaft

Here you can see the vent tube found on the pre 2009 model units. It seems that Yamaha realized their error of putting a vent tube on a sealed nit and removed this route for water to potentially get into the power steering.

It is a little hard to see, but you can see the vent hole in the case and another vent hole by the worm gear that leads to the electrical motor.

With the motor removed you can see where the water starts to cause issues.

I split the motor housing apart and found the brushes and censor location was very corroded.

Hope this info is helpfur to someone. I have my issue narrowed down the the controller, if someone finds a good deal on a used one please let me know.