slime not working

Meat talk....Wheel talk.

Moderator: hemingray

ash2042
Is tracking a shipment right now

slime not working

Postby ash2042 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:04 am

I put the green slime in my tires to help me from getting a flat but I still managed to get one. It says on the bottle it will seal a hole up to a quarter inch. The tire goes flat in about two or three days, so it is a slow leak(not a quarter inch hole). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to find the hole so I can fix it? Also has anyone had expeirence with "slime". I have used it before and it has always seemed to work.
04.5 Sportsman 500 HO
Warn 2.5 winch

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Sun Sep 19, 2004 2:27 pm

u can check it by running soapy water all over it and looking for the spot that creates bubbles..

or if u have a big enuff container, u can dunk it and look for bubbles that way too..

I've seen green slime, but never used it.
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

[img]http://www.tampagasprices.com/gb/Tampagasbuddy.gif[/img]

Mr. Miyagi
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:51 pm

If its a tubeless tire.... it could be your rim.....

crack, puncture..... and you might want to check and/or replace your valve stem. Could be cut or broken and.... even check to see if the stem is screwed down all the way....

experienced them all..... lol.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

ash2042

Postby ash2042 » Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:52 pm

Thanks Thrasher and Miyagi, I'll give those suggestions a try.
04.5 Sportsman 500 HO
Warn 2.5 winch

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Sep 20, 2004 8:57 pm

Dunking is probably the best.

When we were on the trail and I had a mystery hole...I just drove through water looking for the bubbles. Didn't take much to find 'em.

Sorry Ash...I have NO experience with Slime. I thought Slime was more practical when you drove in areas like Arizona where there are lots to quills and stickers from Cactus. We usually get ripped holes in the sideway....which is why we have tubes. Otherwise we use Plug kits.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:45 pm

I use slime personally for my Mountain bike as we have what is called goat heads here, which are thorns that are of decent size and put some nice holes in tires. I find that slime is good and works for the most part. I will find that with the wheel sitting for a few days it will loose air as the slime only seems to work when coating the hole. As the slime runs away from the hole area, the leak will start, but if you rotate the tire a few times, you will find that it will re-seal the hole.
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Wed Sep 22, 2004 3:43 pm

I use slime personally for my Mountain bike as we have what is called goat heads here, which are thorns that are of decent size and put some nice holes in tires. I find that slime is good and works for the most part. I will find that with the wheel sitting for a few days it will loose air as the slime only seems to work when coating the hole. As the slime runs away from the hole area, the leak will start, but if you rotate the tire a few times, you will find that it will re-seal the hole.
Used it on your girlfriend.... When I was done I took your advice (last sentence). Rotated her around a couple of times and "your right" it re-sealed the hole.... lol.
05' Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI, 2.5 warn winch, tool box, front grill, rear bumper, gas pack, Magellan Sportrak Pro GPS and Collett radio.

02' Polaris Sportsman 700, ITP 589 m/s, K&N air filter, Polaris front and rear bumpers.

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:18 pm

You could not even find the hole on a fat chick after rolling her in flour. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:29 pm

didn't i see a new pic with his quad on it's side someplace?

oh, Hi Terry!
2003 Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin, w/Warn 2500# winch, k&n filter, handguards, Kimpex Deluxe seat/storage, Kimpex front box, WayBackRacks fuel rack. Mud Lites, Mud chunks, a lil tin can :D

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:51 am

Yeah....While Terry's was on its side..

Dusty has his..4 wheels UP!
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director

Mr. Miyagi

Postby Mr. Miyagi » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:42 am

Thanks Ken.

Amen Brother.... lol.

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:47 am

well, well, well...how about that, Flipper, after all, he seems to be more into the the boat than the ATV lately from what I read....how fitting a name..

all 4 up eh? howd he manage that one?

ash2042

Postby ash2042 » Thu Sep 23, 2004 2:54 pm

I think the tire may be fixed. I talked to someone and he said to put about 25-30 lbs of air in the tire to get the slime forced into the hole. I think it may have worked.
04.5 Sportsman 500 HO
Warn 2.5 winch

Thrasher
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Thrasher » Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:33 pm

damn thats a lot of air.
i think i read on my quad the other day like 5psi in all tires...

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:58 pm

We run 3-4 lbs....but that's for rocks.

How'd he do it? WHO THE fawk KNOWS!

Seriously, it was downhill and Slanted...he hit a rock....and BOOM...over.

and yes...4 wheels straight up.

Here's Jethro after the roll.

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director